What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What we should make of it is...Dufty.. 5 years in the Top Grade and Ramsey in his 2nd...That's for starters....Secondly, we don't know what the plan is yet....Lets just enjoy the win.
1st really, his couple of games late last year don’t count for much. If our forwards aimed up and halves play like this we will win a lot more games. If we do that exciting players like Dufty will get to play his footy where he excels, in the red zone. If we don’t he will be at the back all game doing the dirty work.

Crush

Coach
Gee its hard to just enjoy footy, I'm trying I really am.
You lose, media and opposition fans "you guys suck!"
You win, media and opposition fans "You are letting go your best player! you guys suck!"
Is it not possible to just accept that Dufty wont be there next year because the coaches don't want him and move forward?
He's a great little player and I'm disappointed he is leaving but that's life. It happens in all professions.

Dragon David

First Grade
Really...come on @Dragon David ....your better than that....
I'm just saying how I am feeling at the moment getsmarty and got carried away. I knew that what I said would draw some attention. You and many of the other followers of the Dragons on this forum have much to say and say them very well.

As I said, I am saying how I am feeling. We don't have anyone at the club which you and others can also see that has the ability to do the things that Dufty can in attack and I'm only talking about attack. Where is there anyone else capable of doing the things he does in the Dragons set up and is there anyone else able to be lured to our club like Paps, Tedesco, Turbo and many others, who they themselves have at times missed tackles or not covered in defence to let in tries?

If Hook has a beauty in mind then I'd like to think that that "beauty" has all of the credentials more so than Dufty. Not anyone who might one day have that ability but in 2022 when Dufty has gone.

Dufty loves the Dragons and is a local junior who pined to be playing for us. He was heartbroken to hear of his not being wanted by the club going forward. It certainly breaks my heart to see this happen and being thrown from pillar to post where guys like Billy Slater saying that the Broncos should sign him and cannot understand why we are letting him go.

Fair enough that we are not privy as to the real reasons why he is on the outer. I cannot see it as a personality or off field matter as we have other players who might have the same traits off field as Dufty has. Maybe it is the money thing and the difference between his asking price and what we are prepared to offer him is just too great and not anywhere close to enable an agreement to be reached.

I'd like to end this post by saying that unless Dufty ends up in Super League and not playing against us, we will have nightmares if he played against us representing another NRL team.

TruSaint

Referee
I'm just saying how I am feeling at the moment getsmarty and got carried away. I knew that what I said would draw some attention. You and many of the other followers of the Dragons on this forum have much to say and say them very well.

As I said, I am saying how I am feeling. We don't have anyone at the club which you and others can also see that has the ability to do the things that Dufty can in attack and I'm only talking about attack. Where is there anyone else capable of doing the things he does in the Dragons set up and is there anyone else able to be lured to our club like Paps, Tedesco, Turbo and many others, who they themselves have at times missed tackles or not covered in defence to let in tries?

If Hook has a beauty in mind then I'd like to think that that "beauty" has all of the credentials more so than Dufty. Not anyone who might one day have that ability but in 2022 when Dufty has gone.

Dufty loves the Dragons and is a local junior who pined to be playing for us. He was heartbroken to hear of his not being wanted by the club going forward. It certainly breaks my heart to see this happen and being thrown from pillar to post where guys like Billy Slater saying that the Broncos should sign him and cannot understand why we are letting him go.

Fair enough that we are not privy as to the real reasons why he is on the outer. I cannot see it as a personality or off field matter as we have other players who might have the same traits off field as Dufty has. Maybe it is the money thing and the difference between his asking price and what we are prepared to offer him is just too great and not anywhere close to enable an agreement to be reached.

I'd like to end this post by saying that unless Dufty ends up in Super League and not playing against us, we will have nightmares if he played against us representing another NRL team.

Post whatever you feel like mate.

It's easy for people to look back on comments made "live during a game" where emotions are high, and be critical.

It was an awesome performance and the reactions on here reflected that.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Don't the Commentators on Fox like rubbing it in about Dufty not being wanted. Wow. I heard it way too many times and the more you hear it the more frustrating it is. He had a blinder but Brisbane were very poor. Against the better sides will be the test for Dufty. I think Saints are crazy to let him go personally. He makes such a difference in attack it is not funny which we all witnessed previous couple of games. Hook better have a better option. God help the club if they re-sign Norman and let go of Dufty. The fans will be storming into the Leagues club demanding answers. Big gamble as well if Hook does this. Could cost him his job and Norman is the last bloke I would rely on to keep your job.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, Duff had an amazing game last night and deserves the accolades being handed out, a real top level performance.

As for re-signing him etc, there's an interesting article on Fox about where Dufty could go to, and it really boils down to nobody. Even the Broncos have 'other priorities' and showed their hand with Cobbo last night.

As a few have eluded to, there's more to the Dufty story than just playing football. There's also the possible stalemate over $$, to which both parties won't budge. A point he may have to yeild on if he has no takers, and given the fullbacks already in place in teams, he may well and truly have to do so.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Bit of a sad night all round really, aside from the scoreline, and perhaps a sign of the degradation of the identity of this club in the last 5 years.

A club which should be trumpeting it's 100th season, is reduced to the occasional tweet with a cursory mention as a "founding club". A local junior of that "founding club" is told he's no longer needed, yet proceeds to produce yet another in a long line of dazzling, starring performances.

Meanwhile a disgraced JDB has his contract extended and is welcomed on his return by a rousing ovation from the grandstand.

And all of it in front of a pathetic crowd of 5000 at the Kogarah home of that "founding club"

so. you dont want the guy. thats fine. his defence and reads are bad. attacking skills tho he cut a reserve grade team to bits.

a dumb team will throw big money here and get mediocre results.

a smart team tho could get him at a good rate.perhaps the raiders move CNK into the croker sport, the croker to the grave and dufty to fullback.

Don't the Commentators on Fox like rubbing it in about Dufty not being wanted. Wow. I heard it way too many times and the more you hear it the more frustrating it is. He had a blinder but Brisbane were very poor. Against the better sides will be the test for Dufty. I think Saints are crazy to let him go personally. He makes such a difference in attack it is not funny which we all witnessed previous couple of games. Hook better have a better option. God help the club if they re-sign Norman and let go of Dufty. The fans will be storming into the Leagues club demanding answers. Big gamble as well if Hook does this. Could cost him his job and Norman is the last bloke I would rely on to keep your job.

They are crisis merchants...

Even heard one of the post-game hosts saying "he's been brilliant all year" in the discussions - and while that's a matter of opinion, i think that was a ridiculous thing to suggest.

Outstanding last night. Against the 2nd last team on the ladder. We'd lost 7 of our last 8 games (he was out injured for one against the Sharks) and while there was the odd moment of brilliance, there was nothing of the consistency or error-free game he had last night. Furthermore - he brought back a passing game that worked wonders for him at the end of last season, but went AWOL for most of this season. I'd have ranked him in the bottom quarter of current NRL fullbacks.

Last night was a hot performance but it's been hot and cold for his entire time at the Dragons. He has an amazing highlight reel - which is always the stuff that'll get shown - but if they had a blooper reel for him it'd be twice as long.

I don't wish him any ill-will but to me - I'm ok with letting him seek other options. And what do you know, once they let him know he comes out and does what he did last night. James Graham was right IMO - he's got supernova moments but hasn't had consistency in quality performances week-on-week.

He hasn't proven anything apart from a freakish talent at times in attack, but flawed in defence. If it was the NFL he'd be on offence only. A solid fullback needs to have skills in both attack and defence.

smi962

First Grade
Firstly, Duff had an amazing game last night and deserves the accolades being handed out, a real top level performance.

As for re-signing him etc, there's an interesting article on Fox about where Dufty could go to, and it really boils down to nobody. Even the Broncos have 'other priorities' and showed their hand with Cobbo last night.

As a few have eluded to, there's more to the Dufty story than just playing football. There's also the possible stalemate over $$, to which both parties won't budge. A point he may have to yeild on if he has no takers, and given the fullbacks already in place in teams, he may well and truly have to do soprett

smi962

First Grade
He will get a contract in the NRL but agree it unlikely a team will pay at the elite level he is after.

Illusion

Bench
1st really, his couple of games late last year don’t count for much. If our forwards aimed up and halves play like this we will win a lot more games. If we do that exciting players like Dufty will get to play his footy where he excels, in the red zone. If we don’t he will be at the back all game doing the dirty work.
Put any of the top fullbacks in our team over the last 7 games then tell me how they are going when no forward makes over 70 meters and your halves don't set up much .....

TruSaint

Referee
Bit of a sad night all round really, aside from the scoreline, and perhaps a sign of the degradation of the identity of this club in the last 5 years.

A club which should be trumpeting it's 100th season, is reduced to the occasional tweet with a cursory mention as a "founding club". A local junior of that "founding club" is told he's no longer needed, yet proceeds to produce yet another in a long line of dazzling, starring performances.

Meanwhile a disgraced JDB has his contract extended and is welcomed on his return by a rousing ovation from the grandstand.

And all of it in front of a pathetic crowd of 5000 at the Kogarah home of that "founding club"

Brutally honest post.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Put any of the top fullbacks in our team over the last 7 games then tell me how they are going when no forward makes over 70 meters and your halves don't set up much .....
Yeah exactly so we need to get off Ramsey’s back. We would have won last night with most teams fullbacks if we played like that. Maybe not in as exciting a manner but if our halves play like that and our fullback including Ramsey was in support they would have looked good. It’s been a while since we have allowed our outside backs to look good.

Through his entire career at the Dragons to this year he was being coached by an imbecile

That's an opinion. But not an excuse if true. He actually played his best football in the back half of last season IMO under that "Imbecile" and then Dean Young.

If I'm to be blunt - I think for all of his talents Dufty sadly possesses aspects of self-entitlement and lack of ownership. The "toxic" environment comment nailed it for me. Look at your own performance, and what you can do to improve it - rather than blame others.

Good players don't use excuses if there's a problem with the coach, and good players put in 100% regardless. I don't put Dufty in that category. Coz when he was dropped, he'd played poorly. Then says "I wasn't certain if I was playing first grade" as reasoning to his toxicity comment.

Well welcome to First grade. A first grade jersey isn't a right, you are meant to earn it - and play with the right attitude and consistency to keep it.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
Yeah exactly so we need to get off Ramsey’s back. We would have won last night with most teams fullbacks if we played like that. Maybe not in as exciting a manner but if our halves play like that and our fullback including Ramsey was in support they would have looked good. It’s been a while since we have allowed our outside backs to look good.
Mate forget last nights game the previous lost games , Not Dufty or Ramsey any fullback would have struggled behind our team .....

Latest posts