What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

boardlumps62

Juniors
Matt is a scintillating attacking player.

His attacking ability is undoubted.

He has been better under the high ball recently.

Matt’s defence is ordinary. I hope it improves but in the end it’s all about attitude and belief.

If we aspire to being a top 4 side, we need someone better.

This applies to several positions including 6 and 7.

Griffin will need some time to build a contender.

Peanut was given 7 long years.

Suggest we give him at least 2 full seasons before we castrate him.
He has one more year. Whose his target for fullback he has to be better than Dufty or we go backwards. I'm keen to see how we go this year Hook should be bringing the players through ready for next year if that's his plan. I can't work it out really he wants to win that's why he reached out to ex hard heads to shoes up what we have. We have no young gun forwards knocking at the door that I can see IMO.

Considering Griffin has been punted himself from two high profile gigs it'll only be a sort of a plan. I have no confidence in the club's player selection and retention processes as the past few sesons have shown.
Not really fair to compare the past few seasons of recruitment and retention to that of Hook. To me he has a clean slate and has inherited a bit of a mess really.
Give him time.

I agree with getsmarty. The coaching staff obviously know something about Dufty we don’t.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Heard a RUMOUR

DWZ/Dufty swap.

did Griffin work with DWZ in his Penrith stint?
Certainly did, for a couple of years until Gould punted Hook. He joined Canterbury not long after.

He was a pretty dynamic player for Penrith, for Canterbury not so much. And he has always had poor ball security.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting that the Raiders have now shown interest and plan to meet with him this coming week.

Didn't Schifcofske, his manager, play for the Raiders? I sense also they are looking at an almost immediate release from us, as CNK won't be back this year, so they are short a fullback. There's also the chance that CNK will move to the centres next year.

If true, this could unfold very quickly.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Why can't we be like Storm, Panthers and Chooks make him a reasonable offer and he can be our backup Fullback if he isnt good enough for Hook in FG. How many fullbacks did or do the Storm have who could fill in for an injury or play in the halves. It must be a money problem.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Interesting that the Raiders have now shown interest and plan to meet with him this coming week.

Didn't Schifcofske, his manager, play for the Raiders? I sense also they are looking at an almost immediate release from us, as CNK won't be back this year, so they are short a fullback. There's also the chance that CNK will move to the centres next year.

I think if that happens we as a team would fold very easily. Player swap possibly there might be some unhappy campers down Canberra way Sebastian Khris anybody?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You would have to ask the coaching staff.... even the former staff pointed this out...personally I think it has more to do with reading the play in defense and the lack of desperation shown...at times dufty looks like he is just jogging back in defense....almost the exact opposite of what we saw with the try before halftime where he showed incredible desperation to get the ball down ahead of Issako....

Never seems to show this in defense...anyway , just my observation...what would I know...Lol
Sorry mate, but which coaching and former staff have said this?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If you watch the Panthers v Tigers game Daine Laurie (1st year in NRL) stopped about 3 certain tries. I have not paid that much attention to fullbacks defending since this Dufty thing. Daine stopped 1 where he ran from 1 side of the field to the other to end up in a position to bat a ball back and stop a try. It was a similar play to the 1st try Bronco's scored where Dufty was no where to be sighted. Another 2 where defensive good hits to stop the guy when he was 1 on 1. That is where Dufty really needs to work on. He has had a few years to get that right.

People now demanding Saints sign him up with petitions. If Saints do end up doing that and Tyrell Sloan or another junior fullback gets picked up by another club and they absolutely nail it, the fans will be saying, we should never have let him go. They are in a really tough situation with this and the media really love to remind us every day since the news came out Saints were not signing him. Pretty sure there was no way near as much media when Dogs let a young Thurston go or any other club in this position.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yes it’s looking like a very public game of poker and his Manager Clinton S is doing well trying to earn his cut out of a bigger contract than it seems Dragons are wanting to pay. Clinton certainly has everyone talking about Dufty and let’s be honest Dufty’s performances has everything to do with the current talk and hype too.

Always been a big Duffman fan and for me losing him would be up there with BMoz, M. Gasnier, Mundine, Tallis, M. O’Connor and S. Edge.

Hope to see Duff the Magic Dragon signed on a new contract very soon (with us), perhaps with some ‘play like you did the other night and we’ll pay you a huge bonus’ clause or two?

I hate to be negative and I’m not saying we extend Dufty at any cost but if we lose him and re-sign the likes of Norman - I’m out.
I don’t think they possibly can go that way. Losing Dufty means we need a serious upgrade at 5/8, since Dufty does all but defend there. If we lose Dufty and go fullback from within we better be looking at a very potent 6 to make up for it. Norman is not that man.

boardlumps62

Juniors
If you watch the Panthers v Tigers game Daine Laurie (1st year in NRL) stopped about 3 certain tries. I have not paid that much attention to fullbacks defending since this Dufty thing. Daine stopped 1 where he ran from 1 side of the field to the other to end up in a position to bat a ball back and stop a try. It was a similar play to the 1st try Bronco's scored where Dufty was no where to be sighted. Another 2 where defensive good hits to stop the guy when he was 1 on 1. That is where Dufty really needs to work on. He has had a few years to get that right.

People now demanding Saints sign him up with petitions. If Saints do end up doing that and Tyrell Sloan or another junior fullback gets picked up by another club and they absolutely nail it, the fans will be saying, we should never have let him go. They are in a really tough situation with this and the media really love to remind us every day since the news came out Saints were not signing him. Pretty sure there was no way near as much media when Dogs let a young Thurston go or any other club in this position.
Fine Hook doesn't want Dufty well if that's so put in his replacement now to see how he goes. If that doesn't improve us we go backwards that's the perfect way to go forward at the Dragons.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I don’t think they possibly can go that way. Losing Dufty means we need a serious upgrade at 5/8, since Dufty does all but defend there. If we lose Dufty and go fullback from within we better be looking at a very potent 6 to make up for it. Norman is not that man.
Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

Others were all sounded out

- & Hasler for one was a far more savvy operator with runs on the board

... Hook doesn’t warrant the rather blind faith & trust many are according him.

He’s essentially clammed up or been rather muzzled at the pressers over the farcical Dufty controversy

Despite 2 ex coaches assisting him, the Broncs game was the 1st to show a hint of a game plan.

...But of course replicating the training paddock is a cinch against this Bronc outfit

And despite being initially more affable,
& being able to hang a sentence together in his laconic Bennett ways
& having 40+ higher IQ points than Mc Lost-In-Space

.... decision-wise there have been some disturbing parallels to the catastrophic prior decade

- especially so of course with our yet uncleansed Board rotting from the top

...and one that is yet again ignoring the fan base with the barricades now up again

- this time over the very understandable petition

More is going on with the Duff imbroglio than meets the eye -

and it’s a symptom of the malaise.

Has this extraordinary player retention issue
that’s now seemingly engulfed the Club & NRL
ever played out in this way before?

To cut to the chase:

Duff’s made Hook look a whole lot better than he is.
Therefore Duff must go
...if a favoured son is soon to return
QED

All else defies footy logic ATM

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

These were just 2 sacrificial, intermediate years,

.... with lip service being paid to ‘plans’ for juniors

And I deplore conspiracy theories lol

Nah we’re still rotten/rotting from the head

.. .& again we have 10,000 fans screaming & petitioning as much

...as again, across the NRL, they look on in disbelief

Last edited:

Crush

Coach

Not sure how that would work. Surely we would not release our top line fullback without a replacement? Dragons are still in the top 8 and Dufty has been arguably their best player this season, they’d be deadset morons to release him mid season.

Illusion

Bench
Not sure how that would work. Surely we would not release our top line fullback without a replacement? Dragons are still in the top 8 and Dufty has been arguably their best player this season, they’d be deadset morons to release him mid season.
You got this part right "
they’d be deadset morons to release him mid season.........

Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

He’s essentially clammed up or been rather muzzled at the pressers over the farcical Dufty controversy

Despite 2 ex coaches assisting him, the Broncs game was the 1st to show a hint of a game plan.

...But of course replicating the training paddock is a cinch against this Bronc outfit

.... decision-wise there have been some disturbing parallels to the catastrophic prior decade

...and one that is yet again ignoring the fan base with the barricades now up again

To cut to the chase:

Therefore Duff must go
QED

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

Geez what an uplifting post for a Sunday morning...

Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

To cut to the chase:

Therefore Duff must go
QED

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

I’m not so sure the “they look on in disbelief” part is 100% accurate. More like.... oh look, it’s as per usual over at the Dragons. Which of course is worse

BLM01

First Grade

Broncos join four-team hunt for Dufty — and he’s not the only Dragon they’re after​

Matthew Dufty of the Dragons is on the move.
Matthew Dufty of the Dragons is on the move.Source: Getty Images
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
June 4th, 2021 7:05 pm
Brisbane is reportedly preparing to make St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty a serious offer, after he tore the Broncos apart with two tries and five assists in a Thursday night bloodbath at Kogarah.
The 25-year-old has been the Dragons’ best player this season but has been told by the club he won’t be getting a new contract at year’s end, leaving him unemployed in November.
It puts Dufty in the crosshairs of rivals and the Courier Mail reports four clubs are interested in his services.

The Broncos are in that race and the Queensland newspaper says CEO Dave Donaghy has been in contact with Dufty’s agent, Clinton Schifcofske.
The Red Hill club looks set to ramp up the chase after watching Dufty run rings around their players on Thursday, including embarrassing current Broncos fullback Jamayne Isaako for one of his two tries.
6000 AND COUNTING: Frustrated Dragons fans launch petition to re-sign Matt Dufty

NOWHERE TO GO: Dufty was outrageous vs Broncos. Still his NRL prospects are grim

Dazzling Dufty catches Broncos napping!

Dazzling Dufty catches Broncos napping! | 00:34

It also follows the Broncos missing out on signing Melbourne’s rising star Nicho Hynes, who this week signed with Cronulla from next year.

“The Broncos are certainly an option for him, he’s a free agent and he is looking at all his options,” Schifcofske told the Courier Mail.

“We have spoken about Brisbane being a club that may need a fullback so that presents an opportunity for him.

“There’s no rush. He is a bit disappointed but he will back himself on the open market... a few clubs have expressed interest.”

Dragons fans have launched a petition begging the club to re-sign Dufty.

Meantime, Sydney Morning Herald journalist Christian Nicolussi reports the Broncos are also in the market for Dragons winger Jordan Pereira.

Brisbane lost young flyer Xavier Coates to Melbourne from next season.

Yes Here we go the Courier mail getting desperate and ramming Dufty home pressuring the Broncos in to doing something
And just who are the other three clubs? .. no names as if the Courier Mail would know
Yep Clinton this is testing Kevin Walters mettle now, Can he handle the heat.
What makes me laugh If you think about it is that Matt was open slather for signing from Nov 1
No noise until now when Dragons confirmed no
It is as if yeah no one knew about it
So why all the silence between November and May even from a supposed 6000 Loyal supporters who signed a petition when the dragons hadn’t offered a contract

I still remember and even better player Alex Johnston who also was not wanted and then put in a great back half year performance for Souths to change their minds and sign him fir 2 years
Yes he wanted elite fullback money
Stick to your guns Hook
it may be too late we will see
But let’s see how he performs WIWO over the next 12 weeks

i have been told his preseason was a major contributor that may have sealed his fate

Latest posts