What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Agreed OT.

Some of the posts regarding Hook in here are bizarre to say the least. Massive rants about his ability as a coach (half way through his first season with us mind you) based partly on a decision not to retain a player that, in most peoples eyes, does have obvious deficiencies in his game.

As you say though, there's nothing to say that Hook wants to get rid of him, there are many factors that could be contributing to this.

And I also agree with the comment around us having the expectations based on our preferences towards certain players. I have had disagreements with a number of people in here regarding my opinions on certain players both in and outside of the team. People tend to overlook their deficiencies if they see them as their favourite players or see them play well for a couple of games. I do it with the players I like and you've done it in the past as well. I think that is human nature but we do need to remove those rose colour glasses at times and acknowledge that sometimes our favourite players may not be the right fit for the team going forward (where is Gitano these days anyway?)
If he wanted him and he truly was a great coach then he’d be retained, simple as that. He either doesn’t want him or he’s playing some wierd psychological game to get Dufty to perform. Worked so far.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I still think we will have one of the below as our FB next year...
Mbye or Milford and possibly one of them as our 5/8...Hook was after Mbye and he's turning out to be a solid 5/8...Milford is a solid pre-season away from finding form...for FFS he was the most talented 20yo during 2015/2016 in the NRL - what went wrong after coincided w Broncos slide and Milfords inability to handle the pressure of the $1M price tag all under the scrutiny of the countries most scrutinized team - The Broncos.....I'm not writing off Milford not at 26...just look at what's happening w Bryce Cartwright this year w a change of scenery,...you wouldn't sign the merkin for $150K over the past 3 seasons and now he has 4 clubs after him including us!!.. Never underestimate a champion like Milford...Dufty has never been a champion heck he's not even rated in the top 10 FB in the NRL and that's while he's in hot form...Milford was rated in the top 3 players in world during 2015 let's not forget ....so if he's on his way I would not be spitting chips...how many of us were terrified of the Jack Bird signing this year...Id say 98% of us.....now look...
2015 was a long time ago.

denis preston

First Grade
Yeah not a bad comparison Frog.

My memories of Moylan was that we was very much the next big thing and did prove to have all bases covered - even played SOO - but he fell off a cliff for whatever reason and still trying to re-establish himself. I still think of him a a fairly young player - however he's 29...

Dufty hasn't reached the heights that Moylan did but has had fleeting moments of sheer brilliance. Dufty has an amazing highlights reel. As would Moylan in his early Penrith Days. There will be many other players here too.

I think the commonalities between the two are natural talent, some outstanding feats on the field, but sadly have lacked the fortitude/attitude/whatever in making the most of what they have - truly being the best they can be.

And thinking about it more..

The biggest change in the last 10-20 years in the NRL has been the development of Media (inc 24hr channels etc like Fox) and Social Media... Through these - players are lauded and criticised in the public forum to the extreme. And so players are under an absolute microscope - and need to cope with it best they can.

Criticism in any media platform and that within a closed/professional environment should be treated very differently by a player as opposed to the public forum - but perhaps for some players, they find it too hard no matter where it comes from - and possibly this is from the influence of Socials & development of Media....

For those reading this... Think of yourself in whatever job you do, or have done. How, if you had a bad week at work, the media and public were highlighting what you've done wrong, saying you're a cat, useless, overpaid, calling for your sacking etc etc. How would you then go back in on Monday with your boss and handle it???

Some no doubt will handle it ok enough, but others will not.

And if players find it difficult to cope with criticism... they may be more likely to bury a bad performance and try to forget about it rather than accept it, work on it, to develop themselves. That may work for some players & teams, but not for everyone.

Where I'm going with this is...

If a player like Dufty just tries to forget a bad performance and focuses on next week... how does he truly improve his game longer term?

Dufty has natural gifts in attack that are rare, but this also comes with areas of weakness in defence... And however you look at it - a Fullbacks' job description is now both attack and defence.

And so how is the coach meant to approach this, especially if (as has been suggested) he doesn't deal with criticism well?

Within the professional environment of the club - unless you can accept advice / criticism from people who truly want you to be the best you can possibly be... you're not going to sustainably improve yourself. But I fear (and sadly know) some players struggle with it all. Mental health is a huge concern.

I'm not a Dufty hater, I just don't think he's the best long term fullback solution for our club. It could be best for all if he does have a fresh start elsewhere and I'd wish him all the best if he did go.
Well said BBJF. Some common sense .Sure we will miss his scintillating plays and wish we could keep him but obviously his price doesn't represent value and the coach has been playing money ball on just about all the new signings. Hook hasn't done himself any favours by not having a top class replacement signed up and paying 100 to 150k a year more than they wanted to get this player would have taken the pressure off him ( contract figures are never confirmed ) so i guess he is being up front committed to improving the side. Another test is what he is going to do with Norman as i see Sullivan ready to go ( when he is fit ! ) .

Como Connection

First Grade
Here is one from left field. We are ok for centre’s now with Williame, Beale, Bird and the Fegai boys so what chance is there that Lomax might get a run at fullback again?
Definitely a chance, my selection for the start of the new season.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
You're partially right- we are mainly talking about opinions. But if you haven't noticed that our home crowd attendances - both at WIN and Kogarah- are poor, you're not looking hard enough.

I don't want Dufty to leave- I happen to think he's the guy who puts bums on seats and should be retained at 5/8 or off the bench as an impact player. However, atm, Hook has stated that the club is going in a different direction for 2022 and hasn't indicated there is that alternative role for Dufty. Danny Weidler and the media have added the speculation about an attitude problem which hasn't been denied by the club.

Who's the "someone" we're speaking to?- Milford?- we reportedly went in hard for Cobbo- and missed out- as we seem to miss out or pass on most good signings (Addo Carr, Burton etc). Yes, we have talented juniors in the wings and hopefully Hook will bring them through eventually - but we need NRL hardened players for key spine positions. Hynes was the only FB option who met that criterion on the market who was better overall than Dufty and we passed.

And finally, Saab didn't play NRL for the majority, and certainly, the end of last year with the Dragons.
If Hynes was a FB option we denied
So why did Cronulla sign him for 5/8th
That is where he wanted to play?

BLM01

First Grade
Definitely a chance, my selection for the start of the new season.
CC
Disagree CC
I reckon 5% chance for 2022
Lomax is a centre and will fill out even more snd has the potential to represent Aus there
But like all needs to improve and work on his running game
All so called commentator experts are calling centre as his spot
His fullback days at NRL level are over in the current game format

BLM01

First Grade
To be honest all this hysteria about Matt Duffy from here and the media is over the top
We let go of even a much better player a few years back in Brett Morris
No where near attracted the same criticism from the media... why?
The fans were outraged but soon tamed
Because every body’s mate Mary was in charge and he just wanted to play with his brother.. OK

Why didn’t dragons move heaven and earth to get his brother back at our club and having them playing together like they were still in 2021.. imagine having them 2 together for the last 6-7 years... yet no criticism

They likely would not have wanted to come but still we didn’t try or try hard enough
We thought they were past it and not worth the money they wanted 🤔😫

Warriors let go of a much higher profile Shaun Johnson
Penrith Luke Lewis, Matt Moylan Wade Graham
Tigers - Teddy. JAC
Cowboys Ponga
Let’s not forget a superior player to a club in Adam Reynolds

There are plenty out there as good and even better than Dufty that left other clubs
But not near the same repeated furore.. why?
Is it a bag Hook or a Dragons thing for signing Hook?
I don’t get it

3 months ago or when we were on our losing streak recently most would not of cared
But a highlights reel against a club in poor form.... well
you know the rest

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
Disagree CC
I reckon 5% chance for 2022
Lomax is a centre and will fill out even more snd has the potential to represent Aus there
But like all needs to improve and work on his running game
All so called commentator experts are calling centre as his spot
His fullback days at NRL level are over in the current game format
Fair enough, a handy backup then as fullback looks a weak spot next year.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
Fair enough, a handy backup then as fullback looks a weak spot next year.
CC
It looks weak now because people are judging Ramsay on 1 1/2 games there which is unfair with a lot of our squad unavailable
And this is only his 1st real season in regular 1st grade
He still got development to go in his body getting used to the pace and Physicality
Remember he has paid little reserve grade either
What I saw of him for his first go at fullback was better than many others when you comparing like with like
Matt Has had 4 to 5 seasons and preseasons
happy to give Cody time

Old Timer

Coach
Of course he might be attractive to teams below us on the ladder but for all the hype in here about him one would have to think he would be in the radar of clubs above us as well

Dufty is. Is a free agent and he isn’t making any announcements and other clubs are happily making early announcements re new signings but Dufty is little more than casually linked to potential suitors

If all is good with him why hasn’t he been snapped up and locked in at a quality club?

I find it amusing that some in here are willing to blame our regime for doing nothing yet offering no reasoning why 15 other clubs have done nothing either?

Is there a possibility that Dufty only wants to be at a club (other than us) with a real shot at a premiership and those that fit that criteria have little to no interest?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I see the question that keepa coming up is why Duff is continually being selected.

The answer is simply the decision to let him go is NOT his ability to play football and at this present time he remains out best fullback option. Repeat again, it's not his ability to play football.

The replacement options still have half a season plus a pre-season to show the coaching staff who will take over. No doubt a young gun will take over the fullback role be that Ramsey, Sloan or even young Stewart.

The Warriors are facing somewhat of the same situation. RTS is one of the star fullbacks in the competition, yet they "let him go" and have put faith in their youngster Reece Walsh.

We should be doing the same.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
There were 5 fullbacks running around in SOO the other night - 6 if you count JAC who's reportedly going to Belmore to play fullback. I don't recall ever seeing such an embarrassment of riches in that position.

So that there aren't a line-up of other clubs desperate to sign Dufty shouldn't be a surprise. He's a mid-tier fullback and has really only matured to that point in the last 12 months.

If there was a top-tier fullback even just on the market (which there isn't) let alone announced, then I'd help Dufty pack - no matter how much I've enjoyed watching him play.

When coupled with the regular playing down of his performances from the same coach who talks up an underwhelming half week in and week out, it is undeniably perplexing.

The club is under no obligation to lay out their plans for all to see - and I personally like that they do their business outside the media. However, in the absence of a clear plan, fans can be forgiven for wondering what on earth is going on and being most vocal about it.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty mentoring rookie set to replace him

DRAGONS

Dufty mentoring rookie set to replace him​

Author Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter Timestamp Fri 11 Jun 2021, 09:01 AM
Brad Walter

Share on social media​

St George Illawarra rookie Cody Ramsey plans to learn as much as he can from Matt Dufty before the star fullback leaves the club at the end of the season with a view to taking over the role in 2022.
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has earmarked Ramsey as a long-term fullback after deciding not to offer Dufty a new contract and the 21-year-old is keen to play alongside the man whose No.1 jersey he is set to fill.

After deputising for Dufty while he was sidelined with a shoulder injury, Ramsey returned to the wing for last week’s 52-24 thumping of Brisbane and looked on in admiration as the fullback scored two tries and produced five try assists.
Dufty’s performance has sparked interest from rival clubs, headed by Brisbane and Canberra, and Ramsey said he was looking forward to playing with him again in Monday’s match against Canterbury at ANZ Stadium.

Dufty breaks through to set up Bird

“He is with us for the rest of the year so I am excited to play with him for this whole year and I will just see what goes on next year,” Ramsey said. “Right now, I am just playing wing for my team and whatever happens, happens.”

While he was reluctant to look too far into the future, Ramsey confirmed that fullback was his preferred position and Dufty had been mentoring him.

“I pepper him with questions, so he is probably sick of me,” Ramsey said. “He has taught me a lot, just on where to position myself.

“When I first came in I didn’t even know how to count numbers [in defence] so he has definitely helped me out a lot, which I am very appreciative of."

Dragons start to hit top gear as Ramsey crosses

Dragons start to hit top gear as Ramsey crosses

With Dufty’s return, centre Gerard Beale making his first NRL appearances of the season against Brisbane and winger Mikaele Ravalawa and second-rower Josh Kerr completing suspensions, Ramsey said the Dragons were getting close to full strength.
Star centre Zac Lomax (broken thumb) and suspended forwards Josh McGuire and Tyrell Fuimaino are due back in two weeks, while NSW Origin second-rower Tariq Sims is expected to be available for the Bulldogs clash.

“It really showed how our depth was over these last couple of weeks, which is a good sign, and now we are getting a few more boys back it is looking good,” Ramsey said.
“It was a big confidence booster for our team to get that win [against Brisbane] and hopefully we can move forward and get a few more wins under our belt.”

“It really showed how our depth was over these last couple of weeks, which is good signs, and now we are getting a few more boys back it is looking good.”
Williame, Beale, Fuimaiono, five-eighth Corey Norman, winger Jordan Pereira, prop Kaide Ellis and back-up hooker Billy Britain are playing for their futures in the Red V following Griffin’s call on Dufty and the decision by Cameron McInnes to sign with Cronulla earlier this year.

Rugby league heroes to be recognised in 2021 NRL Community Awards
Of the seven remaining Dragons off contract, Norman is the biggest name and the former Queensland Origin representative, who will play his 50th match for St George Illawarra on Monday, believes that a strong finish to the season will enhance his hopes of a new deal.
"I don't have a contract for next year yet, so I guess I'm looking for a job next year," Norman said. "I'm a pretty kickback guy, I believe what will be will be.
“We're starting to get a few troops back in our squad and if we have a strong finish towards the back-end of the year, footy always looks after itself and I guess we'll start talking then."

Can't agree with this. We had no attacking structure and now we do. We used the bench terribly, not anymore. Juniors were blocked by favourites, not now. Hunt was rubbish now very good.

Gould is a fat obnoxious toad.
Let’s compare halfway through this season versus halfway last season...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020
Points scored...

241 (2021) vs 232 (2020). 9 points difference.

Not exactly reflective of an enormous improvement in attack.

defence...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020

260 (2021) vs 254 (2020). 6 points difference.

so not much difference here either.

The quality of opposition we’ve played this season vs last is debatable. Personally I think this season is far worse across the board - and we’ve yet to play Penrith n Souths, and get a 2nd shot at the pathetic bulldogs this week.

let’s hope things improve in the 2nd half of this season - for to me, we haven’t yet improved nor regressed.

BLM01

First Grade
Let’s compare halfway through this season versus halfway last season...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020
Points scored...

241 (2021) vs 232 (2020). 9 points difference.

Not exactly reflective of an enormous improvement in attack.

defence...

Round 12, 2021 vs 2020

260 (2021) vs 254 (2020). 6 points difference.

so not much difference here either.

The quality of opposition we’ve played this season vs last is debatable. Personally I think this season is far worse across the board - and we’ve yet to play Penrith n Souths, and get a 2nd shot at the pathetic bulldogs this week.

let’s hope things improve in the 2nd half of this season - for to me, we haven’t yet improved nor
How about compare missing player list to this time last year as well as different rule interpretations this year
I think there has been obvious improvement not great but in both departments

Walpole

Juniors
I still think we will have one of the below as our FB next year...
Mbye or Milford and possibly one of them as our 5/8...Hook was after Mbye and he's turning out to be a solid 5/8...Milford is a solid pre-season away from finding form...for FFS he was the most talented 20yo during 2015/2016 in the NRL - what went wrong after coincided w Broncos slide and Milfords inability to handle the pressure of the $1M price tag all under the scrutiny of the countries most scrutinized team - The Broncos.....I'm not writing off Milford not at 26...just look at what's happening w Bryce Cartwright this year w a change of scenery,...you wouldn't sign the merkin for $150K over the past 3 seasons and now he has 4 clubs after him including us!!.. Never underestimate a champion like Milford...Dufty has never been a champion heck he's not even rated in the top 10 FB in the NRL and that's while he's in hot form...Milford was rated in the top 3 players in world during 2015 let's not forget ....so if he's on his way I would not be spitting chips...how many of us were terrified of the Jack Bird signing this year...Id say 98% of us.....now look...
What sort of strange revisionist history is this? Milford was one of the top 3 players in the world in 2015? How does one get to this world? Seems like an interesting place to visit.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
I have a lot of time for Gus. I know many don't..

But I remember clear as day last season when the McGregor coaching situation flared up again for about the 137th time.. He said both on his podcast and on 100% Footy..

"Changing the coach won't solve the issues at the Dragons".

So far, he's proven right.
Gould was just attempting to deflect the very valid and warranted criticism of his mate, McGregor. Like you are.