What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Utai

Steve Austin

Juniors
Utai hopes for Wests Tigers lifeline

Written by nospam11.com.au | 28 January 2011

FORMER premiership winning winger Matt Utai has spent the last week training with the Wests Tigers in hopes of receiving a career lifeline.

nospam11.com.au can reveal just months after being linked with the Parramatta Eels the 29-year-old former Bulldog who spent 2010 playing park football for the Auburn Warriors, where he captain-coached approached the club in search of a deal.

Wests Tigers chief cxecutive Stephen Humphries confirmed the approach, but said Utai has not signed a contract with the club - with a decision to be made next week.

“He was keen to come in and train with us,” Humphries told nospam11.com.au.

“He approached us and said he’d liked to restart his NRL career with us.

“So far we are impressed and whilst we are comfortable with our depth, he has given us something to think about.

“I would hope to have a decision on his future made by the end of next week.”

A year ago, the Tigers offered the Kiwi international a deal after he decided against a $130,000 deal to play in the English Super League with Celtic Crusaders.

It’s understood Utai’s former first grade coach at the Bulldogs Steve Folkes, the strength and conditioning coach for the Tigers, aided in brokering the deal to have him train with the club.

If he is to sign with the club, nospam11.com.au understands Utai will have to meet a number of fitness and physical credentials to obtain a second-tier deal with some clouds remaining over his fitness.

Juniors
Oh God please no.

This guys an absolute Twat, playing ability or not. He and his Farkwit mates can stick to OzTag at Granville.

His career is done, leave it that way.

N.C.

Juniors
Nah, he'll slot in nicely when Beau lines up in the State of BoredAgain™...

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
I liked the look of Sami Latu when he had the opportunity and also the two wingers running around in 21s last year scored a tonne of tries.

Jud

Juniors
Surely we have better options in the 20's!!

BTW, wasn't it Utai that knocked on in a game against us that led to a try? Memory a little hazy, but it's the first thing I thought of when his name was mentioned.

N.C.

Juniors
Surely we have better options in the 20's!!

BTW, wasn't it Utai that knocked on in a game against us that led to a try? Memory a little hazy, but it's the first thing I thought of when his name was mentioned.

Round 20 2004. Campbelltown...

Unless my memory is equally hazy it went something like this...

Almost on the bell, Dogs just scored. Tigers behind by 4.

Utai knocks on at the restart, drops it cold off the kick-off. This is completely ignored by the refs.

Then right on the bell either Richards (or was it Moodie) denied a try in the corner by the blatantly stupid video ref.

Bulldogs win 24 - 20.

Sometimes you gotta wonder.

Last edited:
Round 20 2004. Campbelltown...

Unless my memory is equally hazy it went something like this...

Almost on the bell, Dogs just scored. Tigers behind by 4.

Utai knocks on at the restart, drops it cold off the kick-off. This is completely ignored by the refs.

Then right on the bell either Richards (or was it Moodie) denied a try in the corner by the blatantly stupid video ref.

Bulldogs win 24 - 20.

Sometimes you gotta wonder.

I remember him knocking on blatantly from a kick-off, which was ignored, and the Dogs scored at the end of the set. We lost the game by 4 (your score is probably right).

I don't want the guy at the club, he is average at very best, he hasn't been a good player since 2004 when he had a pretty hot backline inside him (Sherwin, Anasta, Patten and Tonga all in career best form).

aids

Bench
he taped the ball forward off a kick off as it was about to go dead in goal, forcing a drop out, as we had momentum.

they raced up field off that play, as i'm sure most of the tigers defending were waiting for the whistle.

can't we just chuck a 20 year old on the wing and see what happens?

blackandwhite

Juniors
he taped the ball forward off a kick off as it was about to go dead in goal, forcing a drop out, as we had momentum.

they raced up field off that play, as i'm sure most of the tigers defending were waiting for the whistle.

can't we just chuck a 20 year old on the wing and see what happens?

I can think of 7

Ratu Tagive
Ratu Marika Koribete
Limoni Kamuta
Faleula Finau
Tanqele Naiyaravaro
James Tedesco
David Nofoaluma

Throw in Sam Latu, Beau Ryan, Brown and Daniela plus now Utai and hey we almost have a full team of wingers.......How many play on a team again ?

MountainMan

Juniors
I can think of 7

Ratu Tagive
Ratu Marika Koribete
Limoni Kamuta
Faleula Finau
Tanqele Naiyaravaro
James Tedesco
David Nofoaluma

Throw in Sam Latu, Beau Ryan, Brown and Daniela plus now Utai and hey we almost have a full team of wingers.......How many play on a team again ?

Mate 1st grade is a completely different level to 20s.
Ryan ,Brown, Daniela are ready 1st graders so im guessing they should get 1st crack at the wing position.
Tagive and Kamuta are the best chances of playing 1st grade in the future prob 2012 or 2013 though.

Hooch

Juniors
He's off his head to knock back $130000 with Celtic Crusaders.

He lost all his pace in the last few years, without pace he is a slob. They tried him in the backrow once. Well you can imagine how well that worked. He's never had a workrate.

macnaz

Staff member
Who remembers years ago when he made a kick return against us and singled out our smallest player in Lincoln Withers.. he put his foot down and ran sraight at him and withers absoulutely f**king smashed him lol.

Last edited:

Skitz68

Juniors
Remember the hit wasn't aware it was Utai . Never liked him , never rated him and i don't think we need him.

Skitz68

Juniors
Also like too add , he's a piss poor replacement for Tuiaki. Way too short for a winger the way the game is play nowdays . How's he possible going to compete under the high ball , the opposing winger wont even need to jump , just reach out and grab the ball and score . Even if he is signed i can't see him hold a spot in the team.

Skitz68

Juniors
Also like too add , he's a piss poor replacement for Tuiaki. Way too short for a winger the way the game is play nowdays . How's he possible going to compete under the high ball , the opposing winger wont even need to jump , just reach out and grab the ball and score . Even if he is signed i can't see him hold a spot in the team.

Skitz68

Juniors