What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

Groshy

Juniors
I am new to posting in this forum. I read it all the time but have not posted much. But I feel the need to post something on this topic if only because I have daughters; 3 of them in fact and to hear some of the arguments posted here defending the players because the kiwi girl must have known what she was getting herself into, is truly horrifying for a parent.

I love love love rugby league. My grandparents were St George supporters. I was born and raised in the St George district and I have followed the Dragons my whole life and now have passed on that passion to my own children even though we no longer live in the area. I can honestly say this latest drama has made me think about the game a little more deeply. I will never abandon the game; that would be like cutting off my arm but I think when I see footy players on the street or attend training sessions or get autographs there will be something in the back of my mind questioning their character. The reason for this is that we all say it is only a minority of players that are bringing the game down but reading about what happened in Christchurch it staggers me that 12 players and officials from the same club were involved at the same time. Thats TWELVE players who clearly thought that group sex and the degradation of a woman was OK. All from the one club. Now group sex by its nature has to involve more than one man and one woman but I am truly shocked at the extent of participation by players.

I am going to insist my 3 girls all watch the 4 corners program if only to heighten their awareness that this mentality still exists out in the community and to continue to educate them not to put themselves into situations where they they are not in control.

Keep up the good fight stormchaser, myanonymous, and butch and all the others. I applaud all your arguments.

Meth

Staff member
In terms of morality, I would be one of those that would personally find the entire episode abhorrent. However, in saying that, I really feel sorry for Matthew Johns, who seems to be taking the brunt of a media witch hunt, the morality of which is just as questionable.

The girl's morality is very questionable- it disgusts me that she is not only being marketed as a victim, but lauded as a hero. If she was (as has been reported) literally 'asking for it' (providing the consent carried into the introduction of the other players into the scenario) and bragging about it after the incident, then she is as responsible and guilty as Johns and the others.

Matthew Johns should not have cheated on his wife- but his career should not be on the line because of it- if he is formally charged with an illegality, suspend him; if he is convicted of an illegality, fire him- but as yet, I see no reason for the degree of crap that Johns has copped.

Evenflow

Bench
Hahahah the irony of u giving me a lecture on politcal correct words when u just equated feminism with the evil deeds of the third reich. Good one.

Ps obvs u missed my posts about sassy and i doing an interview today defending the game we love.

:lol:

So who did i offend with my use of the word feminazi? You? The feminists? Hitler? His regime? The feminists of the world choose to be just that, Hitler chose to be the evil prick that he was, geniused people or "spastic" people have no choice. Big difference but you keep clutching at those straws.

Now i've never once questioned your love for the game, you obviously do and passionately so like most of us here. But IMO your views on this particular case in regards to pretty much ignoring all factual evidence and hanging your defence on what the girl "might" have thought has little to nothing whatsoever to do about your love of the game.

The way i read it your tirades have more to do with how certain men treat woman, your disdain for that and the thinking of many of the blokes on here that for the most part that don't agree with yours. You're obviously frustrated by these views and that's there for all to see with your responses in this thread about this case. You're making it a man versus woman thing without objectively looking at the facts (or so it would seem)

I'm not for one second suggesting that disgusting behavior towards women as well as sometimes illegal behavior towards women hasn't occurred from some of our footballers and it'd be stupid to say otherwise, but in this case in particular it's becoming more and more clear that this girl is lying no matter how much you're trying to grasp on to that ever shrinking morsel of hope that she's not just so you can attempt to justify your views.

If you tried for one second to be objective instead of trying to save face from being wrong in your opinions and theories that are getting more and more holes blown in them by the day, then you would see what most others do (and not just here) that what might be an unsavoury incident to many, wasn't in fact illegal at the same time and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I am new to posting in this forum. I read it all the time but have not posted much. But I feel the need to post something on this topic if only because I have daughters; 3 of them in fact and to hear some of the arguments posted here defending the players because the kiwi girl must have known what she was getting herself into, is truly horrifying for a parent.

I love love love rugby league. My grandparents were St George supporters. I was born and raised in the St George district and I have followed the Dragons my whole life and now have passed on that passion to my own children even though we no longer live in the area. I can honestly say this latest drama has made me think about the game a little more deeply. I will never abandon the game; that would be like cutting off my arm but I think when I see footy players on the street or attend training sessions or get autographs there will be something in the back of my mind questioning their character. The reason for this is that we all say it is only a minority of players that are bringing the game down but reading about what happened in Christchurch it staggers me that 12 players and officials from the same club were involved at the same time. Thats TWELVE players who clearly thought that group sex and the degradation of a woman was OK. All from the one club. Now group sex by its nature has to involve more than one man and one woman but I am truly shocked at the extent of participation by players.

I am going to insist my 3 girls all watch the 4 corners program if only to heighten their awareness that this mentality still exists out in the community and to continue to educate them not to put themselves into situations where they they are not in control.

Keep up the good fight stormchaser, myanonymous, and butch and all the others. I applaud all your arguments.
I'm not exactly sure on the exact stats, as it's been a while since I've seen them, but in Australia there is something around the 5% mark of our population that either get incarcerated or charged with a crime at some point in their lives. Glancing over all the incidents in rugby league over the last 15 years, one would have to say that there are far less than that 5% committing crimes in the NRL.

The unfortunate situation is, you get bad eggs everywhere in society, clubs and the NRL can only do so much to minimize that. Many of them may be womanizers, understandably so, it would be so easy in their position having up to dozens of women throwing themselves at you every night... But last time I checked that isn't a crime.

To be honest, I don't think any sporting code worldwide is scrutinized as heavily as the NRL. EPL players, NFL, NBA, MLB etc etc basically have a free ticket to do whatever they want as long as they don't break the law, and our "marquee" players would be lucky to be on 1% of some of those other sports "marquee" salaries.

In the NFL, Plaxico Burress got charged with owning an illegal firearm and accidentally discharging it in a nightclub. His club suspended him for the remainder of the season, however he is now a free agent to join whatever club he wants. How would the NRL react to such a crime?

Last edited:

StormChaser

First Grade
HAHA I'm a feminazi!! Awesome. Wish the boys on this forum would make up their minds. Sometimes Im a s**t who just wants to f**k players, other times im too forgiving of their mistakes and NOW I'm a feminazi.

*high five* You, me and Shorty, the three evil wenches of LU. :roll:
Meanwhile many other females on this board have become suddenly silent. Hrrmm. Disappointing.
Meanwhile I am soooo done with this topic. It's now just the same old crap over and over

Amen. I have no idea what's going on anymore and it's doing my head in!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The newest revelations say to me that the 4C story was poorly researched and somewhat biased.

I actually think it is important to seperate the issues of Johns/"Clare"/group sex from culture change/league in general. There are a number of issues at play and these are the key ones in it all. On the Johns/"Clare"/group sex story, the grey area started small as Clare's story was seemingly accepted as pure unadulterated fact, and then has become bigger as Johns told his side and finally Tanya emerged from the limelight. The facts and innuendo around the story at the moment favour Johns' version IMO - the only person he really should be answerable to is Trish, his kids and his family.

The culture change in RL is another issue altogether - I think as Todd said last night it's been a long road and for our club the "sledgehammer" so to speak was five years ago - and most clubs implemented changes soonafter. On the whole the changes have been positive but as Cullen said - it will never be 100% eradicated, we just have to work 101% at changing attitudes.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade

You have three daughters hey, so Im guessing you either brought them or youbent someone elses daughter over a few times and gave her the old heave-ho.

Sorry for being crude but I hate that "think of your daughters" argument. Am I suppose to think of my father-in-law and if he would approve when I throw Mrs Noa on the kitchen bench and gives it to her good and say all sorts of disgusting things to her.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Hey Dodge, dunno if you're interested, but this was posted on Stormchaser's LU wall:

Mixmasterreece said:
well done in the sex scandal thread. Timmah is a dipsh*t.

Also another agenda type love-in wall post on Stormchaser's profile:

myanonymoususername said:
Thanks for that. I feel really strongly about it. Crimes are committed and idiots are getting away with it. It sickens me the behaviour towards women. The behaviour of the idiots who make up about half the forum is totally bizarre .... but it is kinda fun to keep baiting them so they put their feet in it deeper and deeper.

I knew the FFB was a pickup joint...

bartman

Immortal
The newest revelations say to me that the 4C story was poorly researched and somewhat biased.

I actually think it is important to seperate the issues of Johns/"Clare"/group sex from culture change/league in general. There are a number of issues at play and these are the key ones in it all. On the Johns/"Clare"/group sex story, the grey area started small as Clare's story was seemingly accepted as pure unadulterated fact, and then has become bigger as Johns told his side and finally Tanya emerged from the limelight. The facts and innuendo around the story at the moment favour Johns' version IMO - the only person he really should be answerable to is Trish, his kids and his family.

The culture change in RL is another issue altogether - I think as Todd said last night it's been a long road and for our club the "sledgehammer" so to speak was five years ago - and most clubs implemented changes soonafter. On the whole the changes have been positive but as Cullen said - it will never be 100% eradicated, we just have to work 101% at changing attitudes.
Hooray! Someone's getting it... :D

Timmah

Staff member

StormChaser? :lol: She's done little but expound the virtues of how women are marginalised and it's all the man's fault.

I want to ask you four things because by your comments, you don't appear to have armed yourself with all the facts of the case in question.

1. Are you aware this incident took place in 2002, not 2009?

2. Are you aware that MOST clubs have put in place programs to change cultures and attitudes in regards to these matters?

3. Are you aware that the prevailing attitude in the game amongst players, officials, administrators and even fans is one of absolute respect and admiration for women?

4. Do you understand that this problem is not just confined to rugby league, but is somewhat occurent in society in general?

I don't wish for a minute to question your role as a parent because I deeply respect your right to make those decisions based on what information you have - but I hope asking you the above questions allows you to at least see that the view put forward by some in the media and even some in this forum isn't the prevalent one in our game.

bartman

Immortal
^ I thought you just said it was important to separate discussions about the incident, and the culture?

But then you run all your questions on the two topics together...?

Timmah

Staff member
Hooray! Someone's getting it... :D

I don't quite think you are. Your musings thus far have suggested we don't discuss the Matty Johns issue and focus solely on the culture issue. I disagree - I think the Matty Johns issue has had enough twists and turns on it's own merit to warrant discussion. JMO.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
There is one issue here.
Filthy f**king lying scheming gold digging lazy whores. From Ferguson right through tio kiwi Clare.
its time the game got rid of females from the focus of Rugby league. f**k the trouble making gutter trash.

Timmah

Staff member
^ I thought you just said it was important to separate discussions about the incident, and the culture?

But then you run all your questions on the two topics together...?

Felt like it. :)

Evenflow

Bench
Meanwhile many other females on this board have become suddenly silent. Hrrmm. Disappointing.

Not to get in another slanging match, but do you think the reason the many other females on the board have suddenly become quiet have done so because they realized they were most likely wrong given the new evidence that has come to light?

Why is that disappointing? Shouldn't you be happy that it has pretty much found or should i say confirmed that nothing illegal had gone on in the room like 4C would have us believe? What i can't understand for the life of me is that some people just can't admit they they were wrong and are actually seeking out reasons/theory's just to vidicate their original thoughts on this particular case?

Why not just admit to being wrong? That would mean our players aren't guilty of one of the most abhorrent crimes there is and that's rape. Isnt that more important that being wrong? If rape were proven that would have done major damage, perhaps irretrievable damage to the game. It's done enough damage already but nowhere near enough where it can't recover from soon enough and a damn sight less damage than if it was proved to be forced upon her.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
There is one issue here.
Filthy f**king lying scheming gold digging lazy whores. From Ferguson right through tio kiwi Clare.
its time the game got rid of females from the focus of Rugby league. f**k the trouble making gutter trash.
You are an absolute f**kwit knuckle dragger who seriously needs a reality check. You are far from a man my friend and no sane women would put up with your tripe.

BWNB

First Grade
Money,Money,Money is all that has lighten up in her eyes,
after 7yrs its so obvious that she is in it for the money.
She wanted it they gave it to her and if it was rape then they would of been charged by the police and it would of been al forgotten about now.
Its the usual thing of ruining a person reputation on getting a cash bonus.
Especially bragging about it at work, and 7yrs later, how more obvious do you want it to stand out that its a story all for a paycheck

Yep this is all because of the global financial crisis.

Lambretta

First Grade

Hitting the nail on the head there Timmah mate

Nicely put.