What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor Appointed Full Time

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
From a lifelong supporter's perspective I don't think it is death-riding.

It is questioning the process.

Everyone is usually accepting of decision that may not be their preferred outcome if they are satisfied that the process used to reach the decision has integrity.

I am not convinced of that - not until I hear management's follow up responses. However you must admit that in this regard, our board does not have a strong track record and the public perception is ordinary.

That is not death-riding.

Bingo. I actually like McGregor and think he has a chance of making a decent coach so he has my full support. The big concern is the process or lack thereof.

Even assuming there were no viable external candidates (which I don't believe) I get the distinct impression a lot of our board members were happy that was the case and, if so, that worries me.

Keep the Illawarra side happy, tick.
Keep costs down, tick.
Keep it all in house with someone who won't rock the boat, tick.

As someone who wants to see our club remain a viable force for the long term I think it is really sad that we didn't get the opportunity to appoint someone from outside with fresh ideas. Organisations that appoint internal candidates to key positions to the degree that the Dragons do simply don't make it over the long haul.

They end up riddled with nepotism and group think with a toxic culture that increasingly makes it hard to attract and recruit quality people from outside.

_Johnsy

Referee
Don't get me wrong I wish him all the success in the world. I just don't think he's the man for the job. I'll be the first on here to eat humble pie & congratulate Mary should he get the job done.

rainman44

Bench
Loving the butthurt from Godzilla and co.

He has lifted us big time, and most importantly our squad look happy.
Why bring in old man Sheens anyway, the game has passed him by.

Good stuff Mary.
Lifted what ? we have won a few games during origin, oh thats right the players are happy like they were for Price. We are killing it.:sarcasm: Mary is good at talking shit and the players will work him out next year mid season when we are running 10th.

dragonsrule10

Juniors
Why would they sign him for three years? Seems excessive for an unproven rookie coach. We've got some good players now so I think we'll go reasonably well over the next few years, so hopefully McGregor can capitalise on that and is a success.

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
Maybe strange to some of you but anybody consider Henry preferred the Gold Coast gig and Sheens wanted more money than we were prepared to pay... just a thought..

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
I think Mary is doing well above par. We were beaten by panthers and manly by stupid player decisions, well and truly including quinlan who threw the most f**ked passes since under 9s. Mary fixed that by dropping him. I say look out if we get the next three...especially if captain blood returns.

watatank

Coach
I think Mary is doing well above par. We were beaten by panthers and manly by stupid player decisions, well and truly including quinlan who threw the most f**ked passes since under 9s. Mary fixed that by dropping him. I say look out if we get the next three...especially if captain blood returns.

Surely 'stupid player decisions' is something a coach can fix with coaching?

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
Mary will be better than Price, but I dont know if he has what it takes to take it to another level, time will tell.

dragonreddy

Juniors

Quinlan should've been punted 4 games before he actually was and all the same people that are on here having an I LOVE MARY NIGHT were also saying how good the decision to play quinlan at fullback was .
SORRY BUT THIS CLUB IS F..KED ,while the in house appointments keep happening .

Anyone kidding themselves about our big IMPROVEMENT under Mcgregor needs to take a look at the sides that we can beat then look at the ones we cant beat and that will give the honest answer of where this team is at .

rasaint

Juniors
Quite simply congratulations to Mary and I wish the greatest club the very best.

I trust we can jag one or two top level forwards. Go Dragons.

rainman44

Bench
Quinlan should've been punted 4 games before he actually was and all the same people that are on here having an I LOVE MARY NIGHT were also saying how good the decision to play quinlan at fullback was .
SORRY BUT THIS CLUB IS F..KED ,while the in house appointments keep happening .

Anyone kidding themselves about our big IMPROVEMENT under Mcgregor needs to take a look at the sides that we can beat then look at the ones we cant beat and that will give the honest answer of where this team is at .

I agree mate, I'm trying to think of a way to be positive but i can't do so. He said today that there will be some tough times and agree with you Mary.

rainman44

Bench
Quite simply congratulations to Mary and I wish the greatest club the very best.

I trust we can jag one or two top level forwards. Go Dragons.

Who ? Mason ? That won't fix the hole we are in, need a clean with some strong bleach in the forwards and down Dousts throat.

TheRev

First Grade
No point everyone being so negative, get behind him.. hes with us for atleast a year or 2.. hopefully we can have a dramatic improvement over "The Price Era", I definitely prefer what im seeing so far, even though it wasnt hard to improve on zero.

3yrs is a bit long, but we need to lock down our coach so Dousty can speak with potential recruits/re-contracts.