What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGuire Gone

Bronco18

Juniors
Media reporting an immediate exit to the Cowboys.

So.... why?

I think we were one forward too many, but damn he was in many ways the pack leader. Not the biggest but did the tough work and was the player who’d lift for a big hit when the team needed it.

The only thing that makes sense to me is leaving money aside for a big name half, or setting aside money for TPJ in 2020 - if it’s the latter, what do we get out of an immediate swap? Or did the TPJ extension take us over the cap?

Big Pete

Referee
It sounds like McGuire wasn't considered a big part of the future plans, so when the Cowboys expressed interest, the Broncos were happy to do Josh a favour and let him take the deal.

It's a definitely a short term blow for the Broncos, but the staleness of the team was becoming a concern and McGuire was coming off a disappointing season.

The club will definitely miss him in the interim. I'm not sure how others see it, but I can see a scenario where the pack looks like:

8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Jr

14. Jaydn Su'A
15. Patrick Mago
16. David Fifita
17. Payne Haas

Or something to that extent. I can see it being a mess to begin with and fans won't be happy but when players like Carrigan & Flegler come of age it won't seem like that big a deal.

The positive is that the movie indicates that Pangai Jr could be staying. According to Chris Garry who has interviewed TPJ on numerous occassions, he's of the opinion TPJ is only signing a short-term deal due to management issues. After he's through with the one year deal, he'll re-sign for a longer deal.

The club is also looking to extend David Fifita early so they don't have to worry about all the headaches in the 2019/2020 off-season.

It's a real pity to be losing a loyal club servant like Josh. There were times where he seemed destined to be a 'good' club player, but then he'd pull off something amazing. The break he made in Origin II 2017 was a huge turning point for that series. He spoke a big game, and then he delivered.

Big Pete

Referee
He's good at giving away stupid penalties though.

He's done some dopey shit on the field (the hair pulling) but he's actually well disciplined all things considered.

He's a bit like Parramatta's Nathan Brown where you presume he gets penalised a lot more than he does. Either because of one incident or just his uncompromising style of play.

Bronco18

Juniors
I think we resigned Sua too early.

If the club knew how well Fifita would adjust to first grade, Sua doesn't sign on that half a mill a season deal. As it is, Sua is still playing off the bench and will inevitably be stuck behind Fifita in the pecking order.

Bronco18

Juniors
he hasn't done anything in years anyway. can't bust a tackle and can't offload.

I know it's a troll, but in 2017 he was the Maroon's best forward. Their leader.

Sure it was when they had Smith who can make some numpties look like world beaters, but he was the only one who stood up each game against a much better credentialed pack.

Reactions: gUt

Big Pete

Referee
I think we resigned Sua too early.

If the club knew how well Fifita would adjust to first grade, Sua doesn't sign on that half a mill a season deal. As it is, Sua is still playing off the bench and will inevitably be stuck behind Fifita in the pecking order.

I'm not sure about that. Su'A will likely replace Glenn on the left edge, with Fifita eventually playing on his favoured right edge.

Gillett is the major obstacle, but I think that 2022 contract is going to be extremely optimistic and I wouldn't be surprised if Gillett pulls up stumps in 2021, if not sooner.

The Courier Mail is reporting that Alex Glenn is also on the outer, which is really going to bite into the Broncos depth.

DeeJ

Bench
He's done some dopey shit on the field (the hair pulling) but he's actually well disciplined all things considered.

He's a bit like Parramatta's Nathan Brown where you presume he gets penalised a lot more than he does. Either because of one incident or just his uncompromising style of play.

I disagree. He's always holding down for too long or having his hand on the ball. It's often in the middle of the field near the end of the tackle count, but penalties really sting today.

His absense will hurt as we don't currently have anyone to match his workrate (Offa and maybe TPJ are the closest) so they will need a big off season. TPJ's body might not be able to make it and then he could leave the following year.

I've also heard the rumors of Glenn going to the titans. He's had his time and should leave. We have plenty of dynamic second rowers, although they all play on the right.

Big Pete

Referee
I disagree. He's always holding down for too long or having his hand on the ball. It's often in the middle of the field near the end of the tackle count, but penalties really sting today.

His absense will hurt as we don't currently have anyone to match his workrate (Offa and maybe TPJ are the closest) so they will need a big off season. TPJ's body might not be able to make it and then he could leave the following year.

I've also heard the rumors of Glenn going to the titans. He's had his time and should leave. We have plenty of dynamic second rowers, although they all play on the right.

You can disagree, but the numbers tell the story. He isn't in the 50 most penalised players and the only time he qualified was when he gave away 15 in 2014. I was having the same conversation over at the Stampede where they displayed the same concerns, so it certainly isn't a unique perspective - just one that seems misinformed.

Su'A filled in for Gillett, but he played all his 20s football on the left edge.

gUt

Coach
McGuire seems like he's a penalty machine on the field but that's because he's a heel type player and fans of the lesser clubs target him with their whinging f**king faces, a bit like St Justin Hodges of the Clean Skin and Our Lord Sam Thaiday, Firstest Man In.

We will miss McGuire's hard, stiff presence thrusting up the guts, that sustained pounding brute force spurting tackle juice all over the tits and merkins that come to play us.

41yearsaint

Juniors
I always saw McGuire as a one club man.
Now a one state man.
Something is up at the Broncs.
Good luck Seibold and you lot.
Bennet is going to make it very difficult, unfortunately.

Clem Gould

Juniors
With Moose gone and Glenn ,Kahu rumoured to being shopped around there looks to be a cleaning house operation going on. Looks like they are setting up to give Seibolt the best chance to win a comp or make a GF by the time his contract expires. This would allow the club to resign him thus giving long term stability.
Flipside of that is shambles /mediocraty during the new coaches tenure and back to Bellamy etc 2023-4
Are they driving wayne out as well with these moves?

Annyong

Juniors
With Moose gone and Glenn ,Kahu rumoured to being shopped around there looks to be a cleaning house operation going on. Looks like they are setting up to give Seibolt the best chance to win a comp or make a GF by the time his contract expires. This would allow the club to resign him thus giving long term stability.
Flipside of that is shambles /mediocraty during the new coaches tenure and back to Bellamy etc 2023-4
Are they driving wayne out as well with these moves?
Hi Phil.

Annyong

Juniors
They just need to do the coach swap now, immense pressure on sea bold...taking over from Uncle Wayne. He has a season or they’ll chop him.

Latest posts