What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McKinnon at 5/8

1eyedeel

Juniors
I know Wade is doing bloody well at fullback, but based on his rate of improvement, I think he is potentially the best 5/8 in the club.

Wade causes the defence problems because he has the ability to bump off a tackler, in a similiar vein to Hindy, but the problem with him doing that as a fullback, he loses a lot of momentum and there's always a line of tacklers to come at him again. At five-eighth every tackle he bumped off, would create gaps and if we had someone running off him, I think it could create a lot of opportunities.

He's also shown he can actually throw a nice cut out pass and has good vision setting up a couple of tries in this manner over the past month. I've seen him put through grubbers as well so he's not afraid to kick. And of course he is very strong defensively.

He's easily been Parra's most dangerous player this year, so why not get the ball in his hands more often!

PJ Marshal

Coach
Aint he injured? and besides why shift a man from a position where he is killing it at, that just dont make sense

yy_cheng

Coach
it's ok to shift him if we have a more than competent replacement. Maybe next yr when ash is fitter and back to his peak.

It worked for brisbance

1eyedeel

Juniors
I'm talking next year and beyond. The issue is Parra's best players have been a second rower, whose been fulfilling a workhorse role and a fullback. You show me any team who says their best two players are a workhorse second rower and a fullback and I'll show you a team near the bottom of the ladder. You want your best players in impact positions.

As yy says it worked for brisbane, and I do think Ash can handle the fullback role next year once he's back to full fitness.

bartman

Immortal
Does that mean Hindy to half back too? ;-)

McKinnon sure has skills, but he's making a great contribution from fullback as well. Brisbane did fine for many years with Lockyer playing fullback, behind some average five-eighths (OK, better than ours). If only Dykes had worked out the way his 2001 form promised and everyone wanted him to, then it wouldn't be an issue

The Colonel

Immortal
McKinnopn has been played quite a few times at 5/8 when he was at Souths - but I believe that was only in Premmies. He did handle it quite well the game I saw.

Utey

Coach
I would love to see him in a more attacking role. When he joins the line something good usually happens. HE breaks the 1st tackler usually on kick returns so that is no porbelm. But in all hindsight it would be a big move. Darren Lockyer used to alwyas play in that role so his move wasnt that crucial to the team. In 2003 Graham was killing it in Fullback and the beginning of this year so was Burt. Bugt Mckinnion is the only one who has saved us from numerous floggings with his 1 on 1 defence. He knows where to make the righ decisions and has the been the best back since Hodgeson(when not injured and at his best form). I think we should be looking further than playing players out of position. If i didnt work we would crucify smITH but if he did we would love him. I say Graham to Back, and Luke to Work. Then Wade can go to 5/8. But it jus wouldnt be possible. His injury loooked pretty bad. By the way Mckinnon has the ability to make one one one tackles while Burt and Graham dont have that ability. Maybe Reddy could come up and play back. Hehas been killing it.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Wade at Fullback. If you want a 5/8 replacement put Ash Graham (everyones glory boy) there.

Personally, Luke Burt is a much better 5/8 option.

Eels Dude

Coach
Ridiculous idea. McKinnon has everything a good fullback needs and excels in that position. No need to change it.

True EEL

Bench
no.

no need to change it, he is making so many meters from fullback as it is, and he possibly the best one on one defensie fullback in the comp and although Luke and Ash can play attack from fullback they are simply not in Wade's league in terms of defence??????

and if we get a decent halves combo going or some more forwards create a few offloads for him to run onto (as he is always there) he may get more of an opportunity to be more involed in the attack other than running the ball back???

AlexTheEel

Juniors
No offence but that is a terrible idea. Wade is one of the most dynamic kick returners in the game and the best defensive fullback around. To move him from the position he is best suited would be ridiculos.

yy_cheng

Coach
Howabout Grothe at fullback.

IF WITT IS OUR HB, then we need a running type 5/8th like Sterlo and Kenny. Ash is not quick enough for 5/8th coz Witt is not quick either.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Grothe has sh!thouse defensive stats this year. Something we cannot afford at fullback.

He makes a great winger. Keep him there.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's a good point you make mate.

However, Morris will probably be our number 6 next year.

And in that vein - I and others have suggested it -, when Graham gets back to full fitness he too would make a great 5/8.

Think about it:

* He has great hands

* He is a natural hole-runner

* He has pace (when he's at 100% fitness and confidence)

* He is strong

* He can tackle

* He's got vision (I remember when he played fullback last year that he made a break on the last, realised he was going to be tackled, grubbered for Jamie who scored; the kick was perfect and it showed great vision by him).

We have probably more options than we may at first think for 5/8. I really think that if we were to use Witt at halfback with Graham at 5/8 and NOT CHANGE it (unless injuries or suspensions carry over), it could be a great combination.

But really, any combo could work if they are given plenty of time to gel.

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
Wade actually played a fair bit of his junior representative football with the Roosters as a five eighth, and also helped lead Terra Sancta to the Nutri Grain Cup title (1999?) in this position. I think he may have also played a bit of five eighth during his first stint at the Eels when he played Jersey Flegg and 1st Division. He is a very skillful player, an extremely talented athlete and a super competitior and there is no doubting that Wade is destined for higher honours as a fullback in years to come. I think you will find he may fill a similar role to that which Lockyer did before this season, lining up at fullback and joining the attacking line as a ball player, something I have seen him do on a number of occasions already.

Eels Dude

Coach
I can't see anything that Graham has displayed which would lead me to conclude he'd make a great 5'8th. His defence is far from perfect and he has no kicking game to speak of.

Pazza

First Grade
His defence at the back has saved us too many times. For that reason alone i wouldnt move him to 5/8.