What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McKinnon our long term fullback

yy_cheng

Coach
Not that he is young or anything but (can't think of his name - Wenty halfback went to Melbourne) was still a good prospect and after losing Hodgkinson should have been kept. We now have a halfback with little creativity (plenty of heart) but quite frankly little playmaking skill and not much in the way of a backup.

That's why I would have

6. Feleti

He has to be the main playmaker.

TheRam

Coach
no no no! .... lets not forget the "I am wrong" fixation ... it was all BS! - no difference in salaries! - no long term cap considerations! - just a choice of A or B ffs! :roll:

fullback was the least of our worries since wade left ..... yes he's a great fullback - yes generally better than burt .... but since wade left we've had a year of Burt overachieving, and Hayne much more than capable of stepping in when he went missing - plus the likes of Inu and Reddy more than able to step in if needed .... we are doing ok for fullbacks

plus I don't reckon it would ever have been taylor's (or BS's) call on Wade ... it would have been Hagan and whoever else was doing football management at that point (Zappia? Hill?) ..... taylor was never in a position to make those calls - he just filled in as coach when BS bailed

No it wasn’t all BS‘s fault, but a disinterested BS, and an incompetent club admin hiring an even more incompetent new coach, while a caretaker coach was in limbo.

Just in case you haven’t heard or worked out for yourself, most keen judges rate the 1,6,7 & 9 to be the most important positions on the field. You keep the best credentialed personnel at your club in those positions, whatever it takes. But then again that’s just me.

You it seems keep Burt. :lol::lol::lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
No it wasn’t all BS‘s fault, but a disinterested BS, and an incompetent club admin hiring an even more incompetent new coach, while a caretaker coach was in limbo.

Just in case you haven’t heard or worked out for yourself, most keen judges rate the 1,6,7 & 9 to be the most important positions on the field. You keep the best credentialed personnel at your club in those positions, whatever it takes. But then again that’s just me.

would you have sacrifised Hayne for Kinners??

Stagger eel

Staff member
That is an illogical argument. If other clubs can hold onto the best talent an can juggle their roster, then so should we.

no it's not..he was always groomed to take over the 1 shirt so it's not an illogical arguement at all and yes the juggling of our roster certainly has alot to be desired however every club loses talent to think that they don't would be ignorant.

The P Eel

Juniors
James Maloney - apparently Bellamy said he would be 6,7 or 14 this year - guaranteed...Still cannot work out why we could not keep him - i guess we can thanks Hages

Last edited:

The P Eel

Juniors
no it's not..he was always groomed to take over the 1 shirt so it's not an illogical arguement at all and yes the juggling of our roster certainly has alot to be desired however every club loses talent to think that they don't would be ignorant.

Yeah our juggling ability leaves a lot to be desired with regards to playing roster - other clubs seemingly manage their rosters pretty well and lose the odd long termer (i.e. Hughes at Dogs). Hopefully Andrew Hill can get a handle on this ability really fast.

TheRam

Coach

Relying so heavily on our juniors has often gotten us into trouble. As it stands there are a hell of a lot of question marks on almost all our junior back line.

I know that I would feel a lot better if both McKinnon & Tahu were still there to pick from. With both Inu & Hayne still only juniors developing their first grade games, and being supported by seasoned campaigners.

Yes I know you will scoff at me suggesting us keeping both McKinnon & Tahu, but I believe that if the admin and coaching staff are of the highest Calabar, which they were not, then even in this environment(salary cap) you can convince players to stay and minimise the losses of players you wish to keep.

At least until you win a premiership like so many other clubs have done. That is not ignorence Stagger, that should be expected and demanded of our club.

McKinnon wanted to stay, that should of happened.

strider

Post Whore

maybe you should work on your comprehension - at no stage have I ever said I think Burt is better - I just was explaining the reasoning behind it ..... I was always a BIG wade fan - and I'd say Hayne is our best fullback option right now

Stagger eel

Staff member
Relying so heavily on our juniors has often gotten us into trouble. As it stands there are a hell of a lot of question marks on almost all our junior back line.

I know that I would feel a lot better if both McKinnon & Tahu were still there to pick from. With both Inu & Hayne still only juniors developing their first grade games, and being supported by seasoned campaigners.

Yes I know you will scoff at me suggesting us keeping both McKinnon & Tahu, but I believe that if the admin and coaching staff are of the highest Calabar, which they were not, then even in this environment(salary cap) you can convince players to stay and minimise the losses of players you wish to keep.

At least until you win a premiership like so many other clubs have done. That is not ignorence Stagger, that should be expected and demanded of our club.

McKinnon wanted to stay, that should of happened.

if I remember correctly both Hayne and INU were being heavily courted by several clubs and their management held us to ransom as most managers do, MKinnon was offered a 4 year deal on massive money which we simply couldn't match, that bit is a fact.

My concern isn't about whether we tied up a fullback or not it's being able to manage and juggle a squad with a mediocre forward pack., that's our biggest problem.

so I'll ask again who would you of rather have McKinnon or Hayne? I wouldn't worry about Burt, he's on a moderate wage who continues to top our point scoring tally each season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yeah our juggling ability leaves a lot to be desired with regards to playing roster - other clubs seemingly manage their rosters pretty well and lose the odd long termer (i.e. Hughes at Dogs). Hopefully Andrew Hill can get a handle on this ability really fast.

with Hilly moving up on the eels management team he is no longer in charge of signing players, that job now goes to Phil Moss...

TheRam

Coach
if I remember correctly both Hayne and INU were being heavily courted by several clubs and their management held us to ransom as most managers do, MKinnon was offered a 4 year deal on massive money which we simply couldn't match, that bit is a fact.

My concern isn't about whether we tied up a fullback or not it's being able to manage and juggle a squad with a mediocre forward pack., that's our biggest problem.

so I'll ask again who would you of rather have McKinnon or Hayne? I wouldn't worry about Burt, he's on a moderate wage who continues to top our point scoring tally each season.

By the time we got our shi*t together the bird had flown.

As would anyone who was given the goal kicking duties. ;-)

And yes, our pack is also a major concern.

Thus go figure our 3.4 million has been allocated brilliantly. The people who make the decisions are absolute geniuses.

Come on they have failed on so many levels when it comes to keeping and letting players go. It is either buy a whole lot of big name players to stop the fans from criticising or buy no one and go to pot for a couple of years.

Feast or famine. Lets hope DA gets it right for a while.

Stagger eel

Staff member
By the time we got our shi*t together the bird had flown.

well it could of been worse, Hages could decided to spend another year driving up and down the F3

As would anyone who was given the goal kicking duties. ;-)

he's also been the leading try scorer..something I expect one of our golden boys to achieve given the sort of money they're are on.

And yes, our pack is also a major concern.

so it's not just Burts fault?..lol

Thus go figure our 3.4 million has been allocated brilliantly. The people who make the decisions are absolute geniuses.

you forgot the :sarcasm:..and who's argueing that point?

Come on they have failed on so many levels when it comes to keeping and letting players go. It is either buy a whole lot of big name players to stop the fans from criticising or buy no one and go to pot for a couple of years.

Feast or famine. Lets hope DA gets it right for a while.

you're right..the coach has made some awful decisions in the past 3 years no doubt it, but there's a better arguement out there than the fact that we should of kept Wade and got rid of Burt when one of our most promising youngsters in years was ultimitely promised the position..LONG TERM!!!

think about it..we bite the bullet and sign Wade for 4 years on a lucrative deal, we then start negotiations with Hayne...where would you start??.."oh Jarryd we believe your best position is wing"

you know what would of happened???

"ring" "ring"..hello Souths???...where do I sign?

end of story.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
well it could of been worse, Hages could decided to spend another year driving up and down the F3

he's also been the leading try scorer..something I expect one of our golden boys to achieve given the sort of money they're are on.

so it's not just Burts fault?..lol

you forgot the :sarcasm:..and who's argueing that point?

you're right..the coach has made some awful decisions in the past 3 years no doubt it, but there's a better arguement out there than the fact that we should of kept Wade and got rid of Burt when one of our most promising youngsters in years was ultimitely promised the position..LONG TERM!!!

think about it..we bite the bullet and sign Wade for 4 years on a lucrative deal, we then start negotiations with Hayne...where would you start??.."oh Jarryd we believe your best position is wing"

you know what would of happened???

"ring" "ring"..hello Souths???...where do I sign?

end of story.

Alot of that isn't exactly how it happend. Wade wanted 3 years. No less! Hagan offered him 2 years, no more. Wade's agent stood his ground, as did the club and the offer was subsequently withdrawn and given to Burt how of course, snapped it up with open arms.

Luke started the 2007 season playing the best football of his career and subsequently had his contract extended with an extra year added on taking it to a 3yr deal...whilst Hagan tried to tell all and sundry centre would be Hayne's best position.

Monumental fk up by the club, and not just in hindsight...in my opinion it was obvious at the time. All is now water off a ducks back. The chief architect and poster boy for our retention fk ups over the last 3years is GONE, Wade is killing it in NZ, and Hayne should get 1st crack in his rightful position this season. The issues now dead!

TheRam

Coach
Alot of that isn't exactly how it happend. Wade wanted 3 years. No less! Hagan offered him 2 years, no more. Wade's agent stood his ground, as did the club and the offer was subsequently withdrawn and given to Burt how of course, snapped it up with open arms.

Luke started the 2007 season playing the best football of his career and subsequently had his contract extended with an extra year added on taking it to a 3yr deal...whilst Hagan tried to tell all and sundry centre would be Hayne's best position.

Monumental fk up by the club, and not just in hindsight...in my opinion it was obvious at the time. All is now water off a ducks back. The chief architect and poster boy for our retention fk ups over the last 3years is GONE, Wade is killing it in NZ, and Hayne should get 1st crack in his rightful position this season. The issues now dead!

Thank you Brad Bellick, you saved me the effort. Some people tend to either forget, get confused or simply re-write history. The only reason I rehashed this argument is because that is what this post is about. But I agree it is a pointless exercise and water under the bridge. It should never of happened, but it did along with a whole string of other co*kups along the way.

I am in no way laying all the blame on Burt for our clubs lack of performance, we all know that the problems are much more varied and deeper then that. Besides I think that Burt can be a handy player at times at the back of a decent pack.

Stager you are right on at least two fronts though, it could of been worse had Hages decided to of stayed and yes, sorry I did forget my :sarcasm: sign. :lol::lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
You can't. They play what they see in front of them.

The only way to solve this is a punishment system. Have the balls to drop players who are not performing.

If you were at war in a dug out, and guys are slacking off or are knackered, someone will help out alal Finch, Hindy.

Exactly.

And I, personally, admire Finchy and Hindy for that, and when I see them blow up at their teammates I think it's fair enough - these two bust a gut every day every week and sometimes some of our more fancied stars do buck all.

Stagger eel

Staff member

ok then, how I see it is the club made the choice to pesure Wade ahead of Burt and failed to offer a deal beyond 2 years, fast forward 2 years and Hayne, who's played origin and test football has signed an extension to his contract which will see him at the club until the end of 2010..so don't you think that the reason why we didn't sign Wade was because they saw Hayne as a long term replacement?

you just said that Burt had signed after Wade signed elsewhere?

yes..that's right.

BRAD BELLICK

Juniors
He did sign after Wade rejected the 2 year offer . and the following year had his contract extended to 3 years anyway.

Its a mute point, kinda like the point about Burt being highest point scorer so doing well. Joel Caine was the highest point scorer in the NRL one year and then offloaded. being a goal kicker does not make u a good player. his 2008 was disgusting like many of his mates... trouble is apart from 1/2 a year and odd games here and there, in my opinion his whole career his been disgusting. I understand others won't share that point of view

Stagger eel

Staff member
disgusting??..

that's a classic example of how people can over/under estimate players..terrible word to use in this case, imo.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to you that Luke Burt is absolute legend status who will emulate the likes of Ken Thornett and Mick Cronin..that would be ridiculous.

but the bloke is a survivor, honest toiler and terrific clubman who, with limited ability has played over 150 games and has become the second highest point scorier in the clubs history...if you can't appreciate what he's achieved for the club than you're definitely hard to please and it's a wonder why you still support the club...

I'll tell you something..the 250 or so people who gave him a a roaring applause at the AGM certainly appreciated it when they went through his stat.

Raudonikis

Juniors
I cant believe people are actually bagging luke burt out. i think hes had a good career at parra and when the teams playing well he does to,he plays off the back of that.
IMO to describe him as disgusting is way off the mark