What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McRae confirms Manlys attempted offload of Monas

Tim Brasher said:
Unfortunately I am pretty sure that is not the case Briza. Manly were trying to keep it the McRae. I was originally told that thought the Storm were keen but i guess that was not to be. I have been told that Manly were keen to get rid of Monas and free up some cap space to sign one or two more players for 06, not including Michael Robertson,as well as free up some room for 2007. Will be interesting to see what happens from here. Apparently one of the players is Shane Elford who is baulking at a good offers from other clubs to see how this all pans out

Oh s***!

I bet one of those good offers Elford is getting is from bloody Penrith! :cry:

Zaphod

Juniors
i am not a religious man but I am praying souths snap him up. Pl standard half with a big mouth, poor discipline and an uncanny ability to run in circles.

Delmege has to be shown he owns the club but doesnt control everything, he also needs to be told he doesnt know how to coach football

Zaphod

Juniors
Benny cant play like that every week. When he plays well he is great, andd close to the line he is awesome, but unfortunately Benny falls apart other times. I always liked him as a player though

lotti

Bench
Pat Wilson the CEO of Manly has denied it and Souths could very well find themselves in a courtroom again. Monaghan has a 3 year contract with Manly and we are not looking to offload him in fact it was Souths that approached Manly not the other way around. Souths fans what's the matter with your club hey you couldn't get Orford so you try and steal Monaghan?

Briza

Juniors
Sorry to Dissapoint Danny boy.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Souths asked about Monaghan: Manly
August 1, 2005 - 8:54PM

Manly chief executive Pat Wilson says the NRL club has knocked back an approach by South Sydney for Sea Eagles skipper Michael Monaghan.

Channel Nine reported that Manly had offered the Sea Eagles halfback to the Rabbitohs during a phone call last Monday.

The Nine report said Souths chief executive Shane Richardson confirmed he had received a call from Manly "offering Souths Monaghan's services".

It said there was a "behind the scenes push to oust him (Monaghan)" by Manly after signing Melbourne halfback Matt Orford for 2006 and that the Rabbitohs were "prepared to look at Monaghan".

However, Wilson said: "that's not the case, we are disappointed in the story.

"There was a call from Shane Richardson but we did not offer Michael to Souths - we've had no discussions with Michael or his manager on this issue.

"There was an approach made by Souths."

Asked if Souths were interested in Monaghan, Wilson said: "Of course they are...but we've had no further discussions on the matter."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said Monaghan was contracted to the Sea Eagles for another three years and "that's the end of it".

"We have not approached Souths about Monaghan so basically that's the end of the story," he said.

"As far as we are concerned he has signed for three years with us and that's the end of it from our point of view.

"I don't know where this rumour has started but I can say to you that Michael Monaghan is contracted with us for three more years."

Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan said the Nine story was "crap".

Banaghan said he was not surprised Souths were interested in Monaghan after Bulldogs pivot Braith Anasta and Orford knocked back lucrative Rabbitohs offers recently.

"Souths are desperate to get players, mate. When you have two people knock back half a million dollar offers you will do anything to try and get a player," he said.

"Souths want Monaghan, Monaghan doesn't want Souths."

Meanwhile, Manly coach Des Hasler has slapped a media ban on his players after the Sea Eagles slumped to their fifth straight NRL loss - a heartbreaking 26-24 home defeat to North Queensland on Sunday.

The former ladder leaders have slumped to seventh on the NRL ladder with five regular season games left to make a finals run.
[/font]

Zaphod said:
i am not a religious man but I am praying souths snap him up. Pl standard half with a big mouth, poor discipline and an uncanny ability to run in circles.

Souths are going to sign Brett Finch ?

I thought we were talking about Michael Monaghan :D

lotti

Bench
Cullus Souths will not be getting Monas it was denied by 3 people from Manly including Michael Monaghan himself.

fresh_mayo

Juniors
i really think this issue has effected manly's performance over the last month or so. It is really unprofessional, and has definetly effected their form.

if i was in charge i would keep mona's, play him at 6 for next season and orford at half.

and if manly still want to free up cash, get rid of "halfwitt". i just don't rate him, poor in defence and lacks the ability to break the line. He is a super boot, however so is orford so, i don't see his value for next season.

use his money to buy another centre and they should have a decent backline.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Let's see if they stick to what they've said now that Fitzy has apparently agreed to release Jamie Lyon

Angry_eel

First Grade
If lyon is going to manly then monas and half witt are both gonies. It'll be a big risk though, i think monas might haveen allright about the orfords' signature but put in another potential 5/8th and things start to look very bad for monas and half witt.