What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melb still in denial

caylo

Bench
I'm now thinking that Parramatta would have won the comp if they had another $1million to spend. Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk (650 and 350 resp) in the current 17 and I dont know to many teams that would beat us.

Its a stupid comment because the Storm are assembled illegally and have spent 20% more than any club on their team. Its time the storm moved on, the NRL can strip them of their perimerships but they still have their rings and they will still believe they won it so they pretty much just lost this season which isnt that bad of a punishment if you ask me.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Sorry guys..can't agree with Finchy's comments..yes the team could have potentially won the comp this year but I don't really think there is any merit in him coming out now and stating this when the season is almost over and all is history and they were fielding a team over the cap.

The club needs to look forward and not dwell on the penalties imposed.

A hypothetical...if Storm win the comp next year would people on this forum still call them cheats ??.

Good to see one Storm fan with a healthy dose of reality.

To answer your question, opposition fans will give it to you for cheating for a long time to come, just like some still do to Canterbury for '02. Such is the nature of sport fans.

If they won the 2011 title then they'd have done it legally and nobody could say they didn't deserve that title as a playing group.

However, I would feel a little uneasy about it simply because they were able to retain/sign players off the back of their cheating who otherwise wouldn't have been there and have maintained a pretty strong team for 2011 because of it.

Have to agree with this. Cam Smith for example may have been at another club had the pot not been illegally sweetened for him.

This could be the case for some of the other 'elite' players the Storm also have.

I think until those 'elite' players have moved on. Be it to another club or retire the 'stigma' will stick.

They've lost Greg Inglis, which breaks up their "Big 4". They haven't yet re-signed Cronk either. And a few other handy players are going as well. I personally will have no problem with them in 2011 insofar as the squad they will be fielding goes. I'll still hate them as I have done since 1997, and all the more so for what they've put the game through this year, but I won't be worried about any silly "what if" scenarios.

Loudstrat

Coach
Of course they will, mate. Exactly the same way certain relatives of mine still refer to the Dogs as The Rapists.

Speak for yourself whinger. I know I wouldn't, given that a bus load of talent is heading north is evidence that the value of your squad is getting closer to ours.

Having said that, breaking the salary cap got you to the GF and got you in front. Tony Archer won you the comp with the stupid "leg pull" penalty - the biggest ref bungle in a GF ever since Harrigan threw it upstairs in 99.

Goddo

Bench
Perception and reality are two different things. Everyone knows the Storm were cheating and deserved the punishment they were given. FACT.

BUT if people in Melbourne feel they are the victim of the evil "Sydney clubs", this perception of being hard done by will actually be a boost to the Storm's support.

The "support OUR hard done by club" effect - which is interesting, as previously the people of Melbourne might not have identified with the club so strongly. Through controversy and pitting the Storm against the rest of the world it may rally support to them and make the joint stronger.

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes - but also fill the stands with f*ckwits. Still, f*ckwits have money and can make clubs successful by turning up to games. Look at the Broncos for example! ;-)

fred95

Juniors
There's a stain on your club that will never be erased. The bulldogs did the same thing but never had the arrogance to claim their club was rorted by the N.R.L. Finch has'nt got it, along with nearly all posts submitted by storm supporters. The word Storm leaves a foul taste in the mouths of rival supporters mouths.

innsaneink

Referee
Perception and reality are two different things. Everyone knows the Storm were cheating and deserved the punishment they were given. FACT.

BUT if people in Melbourne feel they are the victim of the evil "Sydney clubs", this perception of being hard done by will actually be a boost to the Storm's support.

The "support OUR hard done by club" effect - which is interesting, as previously the people of Melbourne might not have identified with the club so strongly. Through controversy and pitting the Storm against the rest of the world it may rally support to them and make the joint stronger.

Hmmmm...a sooky, 'victim mentality' fanbase?
I think its already there.

Bman26

Juniors
The only thing finchy got right was that the Canberra president should be blaming the NRL and not the storm, well not the storm entirely.

Yes they cheated and deserved all their punishments thats a given, however the NRL should have come up with a more workable solution.

Not sure what it would be but i'm sure most fans agree that this solution wasn't the best?

Speak for yourself whinger. I know I wouldn't, given that a bus load of talent is heading north is evidence that the value of your squad is getting closer to ours.

Having said that, breaking the salary cap got you to the GF and got you in front. Tony Archer won you the comp with the stupid "leg pull" penalty - the biggest ref bungle in a GF ever since Harrigan threw it upstairs in 99.

I don't think Les is whinging...just calling it as it is.

It has been interesting living in Melbourne and supporting the Storm through all of this...there is a underlying discontent amongst the fans with respect to being hard done by etc and it will depend on how the club markets itself to grab new fans next year.

I noticed that we have realeased "new era" Storm baseball caps recently for next year....some halfwits will change it to "new error" I would imagine.

Strat...nothing wrong with 99.

LESStar58

Referee

It's part of the mind numbingly laughable Sydney/Melbourne debate that has been raging since Adam was a boy. There are probably Melbourne based non-RL fans who feel that way based on the whole Melbourne-Sydney argument so you are spot on with the comments in bold.

As for the rest of the post, you may well be right. I hope you are, in fact. Let's wait and see.

gerg

Juniors
I don't think Les is whinging...just calling it as it is.

It has been interesting living in Melbourne and supporting the Storm through all of this...there is a underlying discontent amongst the fans with respect to being hard done by etc and it will depend on how the club markets itself to grab new fans next year.

I noticed that we have realeased "new era" Storm baseball caps recently for next year....some halfwits will change it to "new error" I would imagine.

Strat...nothing wrong with 99.

When we got busted for cheating the cap (Raiders) the fans turned their backs on the club for a bloody long time. I don't see that at Melbourne - is the arrogance and denial a good or bad thing for your club? Its certainly rubbing up the wrong way with a lot of opposition fans. Will your side be able to put this incident behind them next year and focus - you would think so with Bellamy in charge, but who knows.

One thing for sure - you will still have a good team for a few years to come. Great spine and quality coach.

LESStar58

Referee

I've seen 'em. Hmmm... maybe New Era are looking at making the move in to sports uniforms. Be interesting to see who manufactures our kit next year!

Can someone please explain to my why the kiddies think it is so popular to leave the sticker on the beaks of their caps? I find it laughable... akin to these wankers who put Chevrolet badges on Commodores!

I've seen 'em. Hmmm... maybe New Era are looking at making the move in to sports uniforms. Be interesting to see who manufactures our kit next year!

Can someone please explain to my why the kiddies think it is so popular to leave the sticker on the beaks of their caps? I find it laughable... akin to these wankers who put Chevrolet badges on Commodores!

Probably some stupid Justin Beaver, Bieber, Blubber type fad IMO..

Latest posts