What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne.. a cure for insomnia

Azkatro

First Grade
I have to say it. Melbourne have been boring to watch for a few years now and continue to set new benchmarks in the art of being a snoozefest. I don't understand why but there's something about Melbourne games that make the vast majority of them really test your rugby league fantacism because I find myself wanting to doze off every time I watch them.

Last night against Parra was no exception, even with the close scoreline the game never really reached any heights.

And they have exciting players too, Greg Inglis being the obvious example. So why are they so mind numbingly boring to watch? Or is it just me?

Big Pete

Referee
Storm just play a too controlled style of football; it's effective but boring.

Same goes for the Broncos to be honest.

Nathan B

Juniors
You mention Inglis...

If the Storm can win the comp with Inglis at 6, then good luck to them. But there will be some major regret happening if they stuff up again this year. For a top 5 talent and probably the best player in space in our game to play like Mr Anonymous like he did last night is disappointing as a league fan. I really don't know if they can win it with Inglis so close to the ruck.

_Johnsy

Referee
I remember outrage and copping a bollocking from anti-saints people because gaz was moved to 6, yet inglis has done nothing and melbourne rarely gets questioned as to the merit of his move.

He is not a 6, will not be in my lifetime anway. He is the most gifted ballrunner I have seen for many, many years. IMO he is a natural fullback/centre.

kav

Juniors
They lack personality. Very effective as a team, they don't have individuals (and particularly halves) who stamp their personality on a game. Other teams have "personality" players such as Sonny Bill, Matt Orford, Benji Marshall, Todd Carney. Jonathon Thurston or Scott Prince. If I was to define "personality", I would throw in adjectives such as effervescent, unpredictable, colourful, different.

Kav

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Usually the Storm are highly entertaining.

Last night though...that said, a team down on form grinding out a win isn't going to be pretty.

dragonfire

Bench
The Tank said:
I find Storm games some of the most entertaining in the league.

To be honest you would think a team that is so far above the rest would play an exciting brand of football, perhaps with the attacking flair of the 2005 Tigers team yet they dont, they can rack up 50 points yet still not make you excited.

salivor

First Grade
Big Pete said:
Storm just play a too controlled style of football; it's effective but boring.

Same goes for the Broncos to be honest.

We're not as technical in our patterns as the Storm. The problem with the Broncos is that they like to play a very simplistic, forward orientated style of football at times. In the back end of last year and mid way through this year when we started to open up more and play much more second phase football we were really entertaining to watch.

On the topic, the Storm are shocking to watch. In reality though very few exciting teams become premiership winning teams as a coach will have his team play ugly if he sees 2 points in it.

The Storm are just going through the motions atm.Its a holding pattern until semi time.Not very exciting but they are grinding out the wins still.I don't mind a good close arm wrestle.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Last nights Storm game was the most boring i have seen all year. Poor weather or not, it looked like team 15 playing 14.

Coaster

Bench
The difference in Melbourne is that they are playing finals football now, they are learning there trade, and will hard to beat come september.

They are changing themselves to win the big one, and will be hard to beat

scuzzi

Juniors
I'd say Melbourne would be in the top 3 most entertaining teams. All these idiots that think their boring based on the game last night obviously haven't kicked a footy around when it's wet.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I have to say I find Melbourne terribly boring,but it's not their fault it's just they rarely if ever have a team that can put them on the back foot.
This year has been better with it but even Parra and Brisbane didn't worry them really and they only look their devastating best when they have to work to win.

It's because they're so much better than the rest of the teams that they appear boring.

LESStar58

Referee
I dopn't find the football we are playing "boring" per say.... it's just the quality of our opposittion has changed considerably in the last few weeks and we've been winning games on the back of defense rather than scoring points....

A few aspects to consider...Storm play a structured disciplined game based on finishing sets and kicking for territory...yes it sounds textbook but this is reality and they are effective in forcing teams into errors through consistency in their patterns of play.

Yes the Storm games have been low scoring recently but you aint gonna get a blowout in the semis and these games are setting Storm up to face these scenarios in a few weeks.

The Dogs and Warriors have had some big wins recently but how well will they go in a close one that requires patience and discipline to win it ??.

Latest posts