What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne bound for one of our juniors

Bay56

First Grade
Interesting article relating to James Woolford (nephew of Simon) being picked up by the Storm ...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22985208-5006066,00.html

I've seen this youngster play and he def has the goods ... it says something of the lads abilities when you think that the Storm have picked up a hooker to be a possible understudy to Cam Smith.

Are Raiders management devoid of a sense for the future .... I'll make a call and say yes.

matt

Juniors
brick walls bay, brick f**king walls ...... just accept the mediocracy until we fade......

Bay56

First Grade
Dont know matt but what I do know is that young Germ has a football brain which I'm sure will develop well beyond that of Withers.

Unless management sees Herbert as the hooker waiting in the wings, letting the likes of James Woolford leaving our shores seems quite short sighted.

The report indicates that Melbourne was his last choice and he wanted to stay in Canberra, being close to his family. Management loves to use the excuse that the city of Canberra is not an attractive propostion when attempting to sign interstaters ... it seems that maybe they could have offered a new set of mags for young Germ's car and that would have been sufficent to keep him in sight of a FG spot at the Raiders in the near future.

sydraider

First Grade
I was surprised reading about this, no.9 is where our stocks are short, unless management are looking at offering bacteria something after his tenure at the storm?

sydraider

First Grade
p.s Hence why i despise the storm, not only do are they content poaching our promising queensland stock, they are now inhabiting our backyard, f**k you bellamy!

Raider_69

Post Whore
from all reports Melbourne paid an obscene amount of money for him, regardless of who's paying the money, if his asking price is above his worth then there is no way we should sign him

i dont know the intricate details, so i cant judge weather his asking price was more this his worth, and neither can any of you, except bay tomorrow after speaking with his butcher, but just because Melbourne are the top team and are willing to pay X amount of dollars for a talent, doesnt mean we should pay overs to keep him... he got a great offer from melbourne, more then canberra were willing to pay... it happens.

sydraider

First Grade
yeah but f**k me, how many superstars do melbourne have that they can offer an outsider a ridiculous amount?

Same old melbourne, always cheating!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Melbourne are a joke. they do f**k all for the game and just throw big money at the best juniors

boot them out ASAP

Raider_69

Post Whore
Back to the good ol NSWRL days aye boys
circa 1980! WHOO!

Kidding yourselves, if league is fair dinkum about being this nations #1 sport, and it should be given its the best product in world sport. Then Melbourne is an essential market, there is soo much to be gained by cracking the melbourne market, the dollars it can bring into this game would be enormus, not to mention a few million more potential fans and a lunch pad into the other AFL dominated states like SA and NT.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
from all reports Melbourne paid an obscene amount of money for him, regardless of who's paying the money, if his asking price is above his worth then there is no way we should sign him

i dont know the intricate details, so i cant judge weather his asking price was more this his worth, and neither can any of you, except bay tomorrow after speaking with his butcher, but just because Melbourne are the top team and are willing to pay X amount of dollars for a talent, doesnt mean we should pay overs to keep him... he got a great offer from melbourne, more then canberra were willing to pay... it happens.

what evidence do you have to substantiate that R69 ... your butcher maybe ??

the evidence presented in the newspaper article (believe it or not) is that ..

1. He was interested in staying here, didnt really want to move

2. Melbourne was his last choice

3. The Raiders showed little interest

4. Other clubs realised he had talent

This reminds me of Brent Kite ... would have stayed here for just a bit more but we let him go.

But yea as R69 said ... it happens ... unfortunately all to often around these parts.

Bay56

First Grade
sydraider said:
p.s Hence why i despise the storm, not only do are they content poaching our promising queensland stock, they are now inhabiting our backyard, f**k you bellamy!

Dude they are running a football club which in todays world is big business.

They are also in the middle of a market where success is their means of survival against the big corporate dollars that find their way into the coffers of the AFL.

I applaud and admire them. If we were half as professional as they in the way they run their football club we would also be reaping some of the success that has eluded us for over a decade.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Mebourne offered him the most money. Canberra could have matched him - but which other juniors are you willing to cut to keep him, Bay?

There is a limited salary cap and if players are chasing dollars, sooner or later you will lose them.

Easy to rant, easy to complain, hard to find solutions.

Bay 56: The Pauline Hanson of league forums.

Bay56

First Grade
El Diablo said:
Melbourne are a joke. they do f**k all for the game and just throw big money at the best juniors

get real dude

They are in one of the most onesided hostile sporting environments for anything other than AFL.

The receive very little additional assistance from the NRL (unlike AFL clubs in qld and nsw) and have done a mighty job at giving the sporting fans of Melb an alternative to AFL.

If our mob were running that club they'd be receiving damaged incorrectly spelt mailed membership packages and in the process running last season after season.

Admire and learn form them rather than criticise.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
Mebourne offered him the most money. Canberra could have matched him - but which other juniors are you willing to cut to keep him, Bay?

There is a limited salary cap and if players are chasing dollars, sooner or later you will lose them.

Easy to rant, easy to complain, hard to find solutions.

Bay 56: The Pauline Hanson of league forums.

T_R i've seen the guy play and he has a football brain ... stood out from the crowd ...

Yes, cut players, I agree ... but dont let talent leave these shores.

I dont need to find the solutions ... that is what Raiders management are paid to do ... and quite frankly they dont do a good job about it.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
So who are you going to cut?

err .... a player that doesnt have the same talents ... duhh

what a farkarse question ... I'm sure we'd lose half of our best youngsters to rival clubs and you'd still come up with the same question

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Easy to carry on from the sidelines. You're always right if all you do is say "I could do better".

Unfortunately, it's piss weak.

Latest posts