What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne must still be cheating the cap

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The supposed cap rorting has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about Melbourne's achievements of 06-09 and how the players salaries are irrelevant to what was achieved in those years, as proven by Melbourne still coming first after having the squad completely gutted by the corrupt NRL.

Now either piss off or apologise troll.

I posed a question to you, how is that trolling?

How are the players salaries irrelevant when it was those salaries that kept them at the club. They would most likely be playing elsewhere if the Storm weren't rorting the cap.

It's interesting what you have done though. Most people have been giving the Storm a fair go this season after making a joke of the NRL and now you have just stirred up re-newed resentment toward your club.

Maybe this thread should be locked? The troll free thread has turned out to be a troll thread started by the OP.

Hallatia

Referee
If payments had no effect, why did they have to pay over the cap in the first place?
Probably thought it would be more fair to give the top players the top dollars they deserve? Something the NRL needs to think about if it does not want to lose players to other codes. Which is a much more significant threat than other clubs because nothing is to stop them from offering more money which is exactly what professional athletes would go for given their careers don't last longer than 20 years.

It's still cheating the rules of the NRL and that's why they had to have the titles they "won" stripped from them. But these are rules the NRL needed to reconsider.

Butters

Bench
I posed a question to you, how is that trolling?

How are the players salaries irrelevant when it was those salaries that kept them at the club. They would most likely be playing elsewhere if the Storm weren't rorting the cap.

It's interesting what you have done though. Most people have been giving the Storm a fair go this season after making a joke of the NRL and now you have just stirred up re-newed resentment toward your club.

Maybe this thread should be locked? The troll free thread has turned out to be a troll thread started by the OP.

The majority of the players that were supposedly retained by exceeding the cap are no longer with the club. And yet Melbourne are still coming 1st on the ladder. That's how.

Deal with it. :cool:

Butters

Bench
Manly are that far ahead of the Storm its not funny as are the Dragons at full strength. 2011 Melbourne is so similar to 2008 Cronulla. Melbourne have yet to be tested and struggled to beat an under strength Brisbane side a few weeks ago. Good teams will shut down Cronk and Smith and therefore shut down the Storm.

KU0Wx.gif

ceagle

Bench
Manly are that far ahead of the Storm its not funny as are the Dragons at full strength. 2011 Melbourne is so similar to 2008 Cronulla. Melbourne have yet to be tested and struggled to beat an under strength Brisbane side a few weeks ago. Good teams will shut down Cronk and Smith and therefore shut down the Storm.
Agree, they have been wining, but not aswell as they use to. There draw has been favorable.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The majority of the players that were supposedly retained by exceeding the cap are no longer with the club. And yet Melbourne are still coming 1st on the ladder. That's how.

Deal with it. :cool:

I'm happy to admit that Bellamy has done a great job bringing in guys like Widdop and Neilson and a good job coaching them.

But if you seriously think that the Australian Fullback, Halfback and Hooker weren't having their salaries topped up you are deadset kidding yourself.

Give yourself an uppercut.

Wato

Juniors

Name a team of note you have beaten with the exception of an under strength Brisbane? When Melbourne can challenge Saints or Manly I will take note till then I see them as nothing more then pretenders.

P.S. I am aware you beat manly in round one but both teams were awful that game and would have lost to almost any other team in the comp. Very lucky that you played each other.

LatK7

First Grade
Might as well be. Melbourne have retained their rightful position at the top of the table and won't be budged. :cool:

Heard it here first.

Looking forward to full strength St George, Brisbane and Manly performances in the next 10 rounds. Yep, not a chance at all...

ceagle

Bench
Name a team of note you have beaten with the exception of an under strength Brisbane? When Melbourne can challenge Saints or Manly I will take note till then I see them as nothing more then pretenders.

P.S. I am aware you beat manly in round one but both teams were awful that game and would have lost to almost any other team in the comp. Very lucky that you played each other.
We had Matai, Lyon and Ballin out.

Eels Dude

Coach
How can this thread be considered troll free when all the Melbourne fans commenting are well known trolls?

What people don't get is that if you cheat and recieve a punishment, you still get rewarded from the cheating years after. That's the reason why sportspeople who get caught using banned substances get banned for a minimum of 2 years. They have to rebuild their entire career. The Storm should have been banned for 2 years and forced to rebuild from scratch for 2012 with all their players forced elsewhere in the meantime. Just like Souths after their 2 year excile but for different reasons.

Wato

Juniors
We had Matai, Lyon and Ballin out.

True I forgot about that and Cherry-Evans and Foran forming a new halves combo but both sides had very poor performances. I am sure both Hasler and Bellamy would have been very disappointed.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
haha Melbourne fans - still in denial and dressing it up as trolling.

The culture that you Melbournians so admire is a DIRECT result of keeping top level players at the club that would have left otherwise. Now that the culture has been ingrained into the club, players are more likely to want to play for Melbourne and keep the culture going. Ergo, the culture is because of the cheating, not despite it.

Here is a simplified explanation of an experiment that shows how culture works, and illustrates how the players that have come into the melbourne club this year will end up better players than they would have if they arrived at the club in 2005, pre the cheating:

http://safetynut.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/the-monkey-experiment/

whall15

Coach
As much as I dislike the Storm I do not think they are cheating, although I will echo that if they did not cheat the salary cap over the years that would not have anything near the side they have today.

Butters

Bench
I'm happy to admit that Bellamy has done a great job bringing in guys like Widdop and Neilson and a good job coaching them.

But if you seriously think that the Australian Fullback, Halfback and Hooker weren't having their salaries topped up you are deadset kidding yourself.

Give yourself an uppercut.

What's your point? No where have i denied that Melbourne exceed the salary cap. :/

Piss off troll.

Melbourne stomping Manly in round 1 is irrelevant because you say so? :lol:

Melbourne stomped Brisbane with players backing up from a test match the night before.

They just beat the tigers with the refs all but giving the tigers the game. :cool:

Wato

Juniors
As much as I dislike the Storm I do not think they are cheating, although I will echo that if they did not cheat the salary cap over the years that would not have anything near the side they have today.

No one is claiming they are cheating the cap still but are disputing that there current success is a result of the culture established under the previous regime.

ceagle

Bench
What's your point? No where have i denied that Melbourne exceed the salary cap. :/

Piss off troll.

Melbourne stomping Manly in round 1 is irrelevant because you say so? :lol:

Melbourne stomped Brisbane with players backing up from a test match the night before.

They just beat the tigers with the refs all but giving the tigers the game. :cool:
Yes, stomped an understrength at home by 12 points:roll:

nulla boy

Juniors
they still have 3 out of their big 4 so while they still have them i'll always think they did and still are cheating scum!

Latest posts