What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne must still be cheating the cap

Big Pete

Referee
They were caught because of a treacherous whistle blower, had the traitor kept his mouth shut, they never would have been busted.

Possibly, but considering they were busted you can't say they were the best at it. :lol: The big dummies.

Wato

Juniors
What's your point? No where have i denied that Melbourne exceed the salary cap. :/

Piss off troll.

Melbourne stomping Manly in round 1 is irrelevant because you say so? :lol:

Melbourne stomped Brisbane with players backing up from a test match the night before.

They just beat the tigers with the refs all but giving the tigers the game. :cool:

You beat two sides who were missing numerous stars, How does that make you premiership contenders. The draw has favored Melbourne greatly playing a huge amount of home games compared to sides such as the knights who have played just 5 home games. Until I see the Storm compete against Manly or Saints with all there players I will not see them as premiership contenders.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Exactly, Bulldogs would not have had the team they had in 04 had they not rorted the cap in previous years.
Nor would the Storm.

You think Smith would still be there if they hadn't cheated?

Inglis left this year, and Cronk was rumoured to be close, but instead of losing another of the big 4 Melbourne chose to shed a bunch of no-names.

In previous years they wouldn't have been able to say to one of the lesser players "sorry buddy, I know you've two years left on your contract but you're out the door" as easily, and with the lesser lights standing by their contracts then one or possibly two more of the big 4 would have left.

If they win this year (which i don't think they will, because i think that they'll realise exactly how hard it really is in the finals without the extra quality they had in the last few years) then it will be a travesty, because all the merkin Storm fans, players, coaches, administrators etc will claim it proves they shouldn't have been stripped of their titles, when we all know it proves nothing of the sort. Not to mention the dreary "fairytale / point to prove" crap the mindless hacks in the media will drone out.

I couldn't think of many things worse in Rugby League than a Storm premiership this year.

bottle

Coach
haha Melbourne fans - still in denial and dressing it up as trolling.

To be fair, it's only one (usual suspect) carrying the candle of denial, with very occasional and sparse support from his fellows.
However the OP is on to something. Certainly will always be known as cheats. Have the best of their current roster because they were cheats. So might as well still be cheating.
The club itself wasn't sufficiently punished. The politics of the situation though meant sufficient punishment involved risking the profile of the game in Victoria, so a balance had to be struck. Hence they are still as (undeservedly) competitive as we now see them.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Melbourne cheated and were punished that is over as far as I am concerned. I just wish the Raiders had an ounce of the professionalism that Melbourne have. Cheating the cap aside the culture that Bellamy has installed down there is second to none imo.

voltron

Juniors
i allowed them to keep the 'spine' that they have
as someone else said, cameron smith would be a titan now if it wasnt for the rorting
but because they had to change the team the way they did they could choose to keep those who they wanted to.
but usually you have two people who you want to keep who are coming off contract, and then you cant keep both, so you lose one of those key players

while its a testament to the coaching staff that theyre number 1 right now
just wait till you have some injuries and your depth is tested.
an injury toll like the tigers or the knights and you'll see the cost of having such expensive players

maccattack

Juniors
I reckon manly must have 'cheated' too. I mean if storm were so strong because of paying overs, then any team that beat them must either be cheating too or an extraordinary team.
Or maybe the payments had no effect whatsoever.

Evenflow

Bench
Look at the draw. Melbourne have had a lot of home games.

and they've lost 2 games at home this year and only 1 away so what's your point? I realize we'll lose more than likely lose a couple more away but every team has exactly the same amount of home/away games each year so your point is moot.

There's a long long way to go in the season and i don't think we'll finish on top but even so it's nice to see them going a hell of a lot better than what many so called "experts" thought they would after writing the Storm off. Oh and i honestly still believe the Queens are still and should be faves for the comp.

LatK7

First Grade
I reckon manly must have 'cheated' too. I mean if storm were so strong because of paying overs, then any team that beat them must either be cheating too or an extraordinary team.
Or maybe the payments had no effect whatsoever.

Is this a serious post?

Stormerz

Juniors
i allowed them to keep the 'spine' that they have
as someone else said, cameron smith would be a titan now if it wasnt for the rorting
but because they had to change the team the way they did they could choose to keep those who they wanted to.
but usually you have two people who you want to keep who are coming off contract, and then you cant keep both, so you lose one of those key players

while its a testament to the coaching staff that theyre number 1 right now
just wait till you have some injuries and your depth is tested.
an injury toll like the tigers or the knights and you'll see the cost of having such expensive players
Maybe the Tigers and Knights should sign less injury prone players? Whilst in part it's due to luck, the big 3 play a lot of games because of their fitness base.

Stormerz

Juniors
Manly are that far ahead of the Storm its not funny as are the Dragons at full strength. 2011 Melbourne is so similar to 2008 Cronulla. Melbourne have yet to be tested and struggled to beat an under strength Brisbane side a few weeks ago. Good teams will shut down Cronk and Smith and therefore shut down the Storm.
Could you please tell me what Manly have done to deserve this credit of being much better than the Storm?

The wins against the Broncos and Cowboys were with both teams missing their origin stars. The Bulldogs game was impressive but over the last few weeks, every team's looked great against them. Manly are yet to beat a decent, in form team.

In saying that Dragons are still ahead of the Storm at the moment.