What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne, Whats The Point ?

realredhillboy said:
gee lack of media coverage? what with the big colour spread and the run down and stats of both teams in the herald sun .... gee thats lack of coverage:roll:

the point is channel 9 treats our game like its only on this time of year

something has too be done now storm won a premiership so next year they should show every game live doesnt matter what teams play

StormChaser

First Grade
Agreed. The coverage down there is deplorable. Maybe the AFL officials are scared that more people will support league, cos lets face it, league is a much more entertaining game than airial ping pong.

djst

Juniors
Let's face it,lots of people know there is NOT A LOT OF SKILL INVOLVED,for grown men to run flat out into each another.

Surandy

Bench
djst said:
Let's face it,lots of people know there is NOT A LOT OF SKILL INVOLVED,for grown men to run flat out into each another.

I didn't know AFL players run flat out into each other, I thought they weren't allowed to touch each other except in the showers after the game.

bula_stormer

Juniors
Surandy said:
I didn't know AFL players run flat out into each other, I thought they weren't allowed to touch each other except in the showers after the game.
No they can push and shove and act like they're gonna throw punches! Thats their definition of "tough"

t-ba

Post Whore
djst said:

Nor is their alot of skill involved in running for 120 minutes and occasionally jumping in the air to spectacularly fumble a ball. Just ask Chad Cornes.

Surandy

Bench
bula_stormer said:
No they can push and shove and act like they're gonna throw punches! Thats their definition of "tough"

Don't they call that a "melee" and get fined a few thousand dollars for that? :roll:

taxidriver

Coach
Monday's melbourne papers, the day after a glorious victory by the best team in the comp for the last two years still has on the front page, geelongs win.

reports of maybe 2 or 3 hundred people in federation square to watch the game.

yep, victorians really care about NRL

philstorm

Juniors
taxidriver said:
Monday's melbourne papers, the day after a glorious victory by the best team in the comp for the last two years still has on the front page, geelongs win.

reports of maybe 2 or 3 hundred people in federation square to watch the game.

yep, victorians really care about NRL

You idiot.

Check the Herald Sun website - first thing on the sports page is the Storm.

Secondly, take a look at the shots of Federation Square - it was absolutely pouring in rain.

What's more, the pubs and clubs around the city were absolutely stacked with people watching the Storm.

I'll enjoy my win - so will the people of Melbourne - now f**k off. :lol:

philstorm

Juniors
taxidriver said:
check out the print version phil.

why the need to lie ?

I don't live in Melbourne, so how the hell would I know what's on the print version?

So what, the Herald gave us almost 15 pages of coverage.

If the Swans won the Grand Final in the same year as Parramatta, do you think they would be on the front two days later? :lol:

taxidriver

Coach
phil, congrats on the win. the storm have clearly been the best side in the comp for the last two years but IMO opinion that doesn't justify their inclusion ahead of what I deem to be more deserving and viable areas.

you may be comfortable with the game pumping millions upon millions into the storm with no long term return, I'm not.

as far as I'm concerned the lack of media attention to the win proves that victorians as a whole couldnt give a toss. It's not just the papers, I just heard a victorian reporter interviewed on 2GB, he basically said it was pretty much a non event. His words were that even the melbourne victory have made a much bigger impact on the city.

enjoy the win again, you cant argue with the quality of the side but I can sure as hell argue about the merits of their existence.

p.s

don't live in Melbourne, so how the hell would I know what's on the print version?

but you somehow magically know that

the pubs and clubs around the city were absolutely stacked with people watching the Storm.

Billythekid

First Grade
taxidriver said:
enjoy the win again, you cant argue with the quality of the side but I can sure as hell argue about the merits of their existence.

Thankfully the NRL doesn't listen to internet heroes like yourself.

dubby

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Storm fans, no one is denyiong your on field sucess. But what inroads are being made in to the fabric of Melbourne?

33000 was a good crowd. However, in terms of what codes can draw in the capitals, it's not crash hot. All 4 codes can and have drawn that number in Sydney and Brisbane.

For mine, Melbourne hasn't been accepted as a resident in it's own city. Pity, because there couldn't be a better ad for League than the Storm has been down there. Sucessful, has bred fueds with other clubs, has exciting players (Slater on his day sin the most exiting sportsperson south of the Murray), plus the code's undying support.

But it's typical of the Super League influenced clubs to blame everything on Sydney. The problem lies in your backyard. Your media is arrogant. The general populace has a chip on it's shoulder against anything from NSW. It is turning it's back on League generally - despte the contradiction that draws with it's claim as the sports capital of Oz.

Most of the arguments Storm fans are using is about the future of the code. You are 100% right - Melbourne Storm is there to break down barriers and expand our great game. It's not there to average 13000 to matches or get 33000 to a GF Qualifier. North Sydney did all of that. Hence the comparison to Gosford.

So why not relocate them to Gosford? We would lose nothing in the way of gate revinue, would we. The reason is to grow League into Victoria. That is done by getting the media, and tehrefore the gemeral populace - to accept you. You haven't done that. That's why people still talk about moving Melbourne.

Stop blaming Sydney. Start doing YOUR job.

That is one of the best posts I have ever read re: Storm.

I doubt they have a long term future in the NRL simply cos the majority of Vics do not give a damn about them.

They should be relocated to Perth where they came from, and where there is a future. FGS the Reds averaged crowds akin to the Storm with less success.

taxidriver

Coach
Thankfully the NRL doesn't listen to internet heroes like yourself.

so anyone who offers a different opinion is a "hero" ? and for the record, I'm clearly not alone when it comes to this opinion

how about you have a crack at actually constructing an argument ?

taxidriver

Coach
two years of dominance, a premiership, 17 rep footballers and arguably the strongest side of the decade can't buy a front page !

what's the interest going to be like on the down cycle ?

philstorm

Juniors
taxidriver said:
so anyone who offers a different opinion is a "hero" ? and for the record, I'm clearly not alone when it comes to this opinion

how about you have a crack at actually constructing an argument ?

How about you f**k off?

We've been given good media coverage today - the ratings from Melbourne will be fantastic - and all this is considering we havn't had one storm game live into melbourne this year.

You dislike the code being in Melbourne - we get it, but f**k off, because noone really cares.

Latest posts