What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne, Whats The Point ?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The question was aksed... Melbourne, What's the point?

This is the point...

Rugby League:
Sydney - 935,000
Melbourne - 743,000 <---------------
Brisbane - 568,000
Adelaide - 89,000
Perth - 95,000
Regional - 1,300,000

Total: 3,730,000

Not many teams can bring that sort of value to the NRL.

Close the thread.

philstorm

Juniors
Anyone see the reception we got at Fed Square today?

Over 5000 there according to Channel 10, Channel 9 reporting 7000.

:lol:

Shorty

Staff member
What a dumb thread,I want NRL to be country wide and eventually world wide(very big hope) but with halfwits around like the creator of this thread...well.

Melbourne will grow,just watch that shampoo ad 'It doesn't happen overnight,but it will happen).

adamkungl

Immortal
Kurt Angle said:
The question was aksed... Melbourne, What's the point?

This is the point...

Rugby League:
Sydney - 935,000
Melbourne - 743,000 <---------------
Brisbane - 568,000
Adelaide - 89,000
Perth - 95,000
Regional - 1,300,000

Total: 3,730,000

Not many teams can bring that sort of value to the NRL.

Close the thread.

Thanks you for bringing some sense into this thread. The logic of 12k crowds and few local juniors = relocation says to me you lot want Roosters gone as well.

camsmith

Juniors
The person who started this thread needs to get along to a game....

We have some of the most passionate supporters in the league who get along to every game usually in miserable conditions, a sh*t stadium and no press coverage.

Those fans alone are the reason the Storm deserve to stay in Melbourne. With a new stadium, hopefully a bit better coverage on the TV especially the crowd figures should grow.

Are you Ray Hadley in disguise?

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
HAL said:
It is no surprise to see the melbourne storm recieve little or next to nothing coverage in melbourne on the day the play in the grand final.

Nice try NRL but i think it's time to pack the melbourne up and leave find some place better because this is just f**king pathetic after ten years nothing looks like changing.

Can the you get anymore ignorant ?
LOL

To all the anti-Storm brigade...please keep up the crusade...the more you rant and rave the more we will go back to back next year.

MELBOURNE Storm...premiers 07...enough said.

mark123

Juniors
Kurt Angle said it best.

Melbourne - 2nd highest tv ratings....from australias second biggest city ATM. You want to give ALL that and what comes with it UP?

I am glad none of you anti melbourne fools run the nrl.

The storm are building a supporter base, and it takes time - but just like the tv ratings facts, the fact that the storm get more to some games than a lot of sydney clubs must be another bitter pill for some sydney people.

Melbourne are here to stay, just you know that they are a growing club....growing and already worth more to the nrl than some sydney teams.

You dont own the competition sydney people....its no longer the NSWRL/arl fake name.....that competition died back in 1996. It died largely because (for all the struggle that went on) people didnt accept that the times were changing and that if they embraced change for the better and took the best of it, things would end up being fantastic.

This is the NRL.

And guess what my tip is guys on your precious grand final.....my tip is that one day in the next couple of decades, you will see the grand final rotating around the country.

For some of you dorks who dont know me, a lot of what I say actually ends up happening. And in a lot of cases people argue with me black and blue that it won't - until it actually happens.

Melbourne are not going anywhere, and they will soon become if they havnt already one of the NRL's most valuable sides in all the key areas.

Another tip. Cronulla's days are numbered. As are sydney city's.

Somewhat linked to this is the inclusion of Perth, a third SE QLD team and a 2nd NZ team within 15 years. A central coast team is very unlikely within 20 years.

If you look back on the history of this forum and rleague.com, you'll see that in 1998 i predicted (as aussie_cull) league would take 30 years to recover properly....and I also think international rl by 30 years from that date will be something VERY good (by todays standards, i dont know how it will rate along side other sports)

I am not pshycic, you anti melbourne dorks, I am just being real and doing the sums, allowing for management and polical jousting and people's (in the nrl anyway) general laziness and procrastination.

Thats with Melbourne, league to be national and progressing in the extra markets within 15 years, and international with good teams around within 25 (5 good teams).

Thats because thats how long this sh!t takes, boyz.

Just like the pay tv people....they knew WAY BACK in 1996 people would pay to watch league and sport....and it ended up happening because they knew and believed in it then carried it out....well people high up in the game (not me) must know it all too.....so watch it happen.

babyg

Juniors
The Oracle has spoken. I predict.
Storm will have more crowds than most Sydney teams by 2010 (~22k)
Storm will finally get their games shown on tv and average 350k per game 2009
Perth Reds will come back to life but it will be a slow start (not like the Titans) 2010
Sydney City will befriend Cronulla, steal their juniors and eventually merge. 2012
North Sydney Bears will be reinstated in Central Coast in 2015.
Qld will win next years Origin series 3-0
North Qld will win back to back premierships in 2009-10
Ok now I'm spinning sht.

ramble_on

Juniors
adamkungl said:
:crazy:eek:k genius. I can't see any more Sydney teams dying/relocating unless broke.

I can't see any other option than to reduce the number of Sydney based teams for the competion to go ahead financially... The next time they force mergers or cut teams will be done a lot smarter as they don't want a repeat of the Rabbitohs debacle, but they'll do it.... I'd be surprised if there are more than 6 Sydney teams in 10 years time........

t-ba

Post Whore
adamkungl said:
:crazy:eek:k genius. I can't see any more Sydney teams dying/relocating unless broke.

Manly needs to start working on a North Shore Supporter base if it wants to be any hope of being alive in twenty years time. Can't survive on a quarter of a million people.

Knightmare

Coach
camsmith said:
The person who started this thread needs to get along to a game....

We have some of the most passionate supporters in the league who get along to every game usually in miserable conditions, a sh*t stadium and no press coverage.

Those fans alone are the reason the Storm deserve to stay in Melbourne. With a new stadium, hopefully a bit better coverage on the TV especially the crowd figures should grow.

Are you Ray Hadley in disguise?

There is better atmosphere at Storm home games than there are at Sharks or Broncos home games, both teams from Rugby League heartland.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Melbourne Storm are the NRL's most importnant assett when it comes to Sponsorships and TV rights.

They expose the game to a potential 4m more people than it would without them...

Whoever started this thread should return to Bunnings, cos he or she is a tool.

adamkungl

Immortal
ramble_on said:
I can't see any other option than to reduce the number of Sydney based teams for the competion to go ahead financially... The next time they force mergers or cut teams will be done a lot smarter as they don't want a repeat of the Rabbitohs debacle, but they'll do it.... I'd be surprised if there are more than 6 Sydney teams in 10 years time........

Rabbitohs was only a debacle because they think they're above the league...I just can't comprehend any more teams being cut though, it would be tearing at the foundations of the game to take out any of the current teams. Reducing the comp to 14 was necessary after the super league war, the game could simply not sustain the teams it had. But the game now is healthy, and getting stronger each year. To me sustainable expansion is not only in area but size. A new team in strategic areas every 5-10 years, while not weakening, forcefully relocating, killing or merging current teams. Just moving or chopping and adding teams is not true expansion.
Obviously the most important factors in this are a bigger focus on grassroots in already strong areas, to provide the talent for a larger comp, and to build up new teams in weaker areas, ie. perhaps an Adelaide team, and placing new teams in areas that have the foundations to provide local talent in a relatively short time frame, eg. maybe Perth, with its JB cup team and all.
Also, the areas I see as suitable for expansion are (in vaguely this order) Perth, Central Coast, Adelaide, Wellington, and Brisbane. 21 teams. I could tolerate a relocation to CC. As long as its not my team. Based on close proximity, it would have to be Easts, Souths, Cronulla, or St George. Easts have money and a strong history, as do Souths, who also have a large junior base, however dubiously claimed. Saints have the merger, money, and a huge junior base. Cronulla? If one team had to move, it would have to be them surely. I'd hate to see it personally. But 21 teams seems one too many.

Avenger

Immortal
Perth Red said:
You clearly have no idea (surprised they let you into the State!)

They let me in because you morons do not know how to run your own sh*t here.

ramble_on

Juniors
adankungl..

It wasn't that long ago that it was unthinkable that a team outside Sydney could play in the "elite" competition... look where we are now...... I couldn't hazard a guess as to who I think will be forced to merge or get out of the comp but I do think ultimately the Sydney representation will be reduced to accomodate growth in the competion and the range of publicity..... I do believe there are few clubs in Sydney that would kick up as big a stink as the Rabbitohs did with as much backing as they've had.... I could be wrong but it's the way I see it happening...