What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne, Whats The Point ?

philstorm

Juniors
taxidriver said:
you seem confused phil.

are you in melbourne or aren't you ?

Who said i'm in Melbourne - is it that hard to read? :roll:

[QUOT=taxidriverE]and p.s - who the f**k are you to tell me to f**k off ?

talk about internet heroes[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're the one here solely lampooning a club without even listing your excuse of an club.

That's who's the internet hero. :lol:

taxidriver

Coach
what's my club got to do with the existence of melbourne ?

and if you aren't in melbourne, how do you know the pubs were full ?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
djst said:
Let's face it,lots of people know there is NOT A LOT OF SKILL INVOLVED,for grown men to run flat out into each another.
I've never understood why ARF fans think that their abortion of a sport has any skill involved. I mean, it's nicknamed fumbleball for god's sake...

kav

Juniors
It would appear that Melbourne Storm are on the verge of stringing a few premierships together (such was their dominance this season and, to a lessor extent, last season. Now thaey have reached their pinnacle, NSW bigots want to relocate them. I suppose when the Warriors win their Grand Final (and they will be next), calls will be made to relocate them too. Give the Storm their due - their continued success can only bring more Melbournians to their matches and challenge the aerial ping pong football they currently prefer down there. The Warriors were getting better crowds than the Auckland Union matches at the end of this season and polls were indicating that a lot more sports fans preferred watching them than union. The increasing success of one city teams is a plus for the sport as it is a counter to the often heard comment that league is dominant only in NSW and Queensland.

Kav

mongoose

Coach
mark123 said:
Turns out my second post back. Last mayhaps.

Some people have no clue, do they?

You want a little sydney competition.....dont you?.....you want to have smaller player payments...dont you? (i bet some of the players would want to come over and BEAT YOU UP!! dork....)....you want less exposure.......dont you? ......

you want all the good players to go to the ESL or Union......thanks man.....millions of league supporters world wide want to string you up and quarter you!!

Dont you see?

You clearly dont....kill melbourne and you kill the games reach, you deny it sponsors dollars and tv exposure and money, and you can expect the game to shrink, and perhaps even wither to the point where you'd sell your soul to have it back to the way it was.

Nothing truly good was ever easy.

And you can expect the same fight over in perth when league goes there.....do the hard yards and reap the rewards....

melbourne may not translate into bums on seats, but it gets viewers at the big end of season, sponsors, tv exposure, bigger tv contract....

they have a new stadium soon, may just help. It takes years to become a part of the culture....

look at Lions.....20 years, 3 premierships, but only a few fans in comparison to broncos.

They still fill stadiums....but no one laughs at them....and i dont think many people are laughing at storm

except for fools like you who have an inferiority complex, and think by shrinking league back to two main markets is the way to go.....you belong in the juvenile basket buddy....go back to your x box...toys for little boys.

Good post. The sydney centric attitude of "well if they don't want our game then why should we give it to them"[-( sounds like self pity and quite frankly it's unaustralian. Wake up to yourselves.

Pazza

First Grade
HAL said:
It is no surprise to see the melbourne storm recieve little or next to nothing coverage in melbourne on the day the play in the grand final.

Nice try NRL but i think it's time to pack the melbourne up and leave find some place better because this is just f**king pathetic after ten years nothing looks like changing.

Can the you get anymore ignorant ?

so much for being the sporting capital of the country

ramble_on

Juniors
Maybe one of the reason Melbournians don't take the sport seriously is because it's claimed to be a national league whereas it is only publicised in 2 states, and mainly in the cities, regional coverage is pretty poor. I'd rather see less Sydney based teams, another Brisbane team and possbly another regional team, Perth and Adelaide back in the comp and then take it from there.

I was rather shocked this weekend at the coverage the GF got here in Perth. It was more in 2 days than it has been all season, SoO included. There is quite a large following over here and a half decent local competion, yet media coverage is almost nonexistent. However even after 10 years it is not difficult to find Western Reds paraphernalia around.

fourxman

Juniors
I am of the opinion that Melboune deserves a fair dinkum go in the NRL. I do agree that there needs to be more expansion into WA (in particular) and Brisbane #2, Central Coast, Wellington would also be places i would consider placing attention to in time. But at the end of day if we want to make our game the elite game in Australia then we need to be in as many of the major centres as possible. Melbourne just need time to build their fan base and while they don't have any locals playing for them yet, in the future will have a player pool to down there to choose from. There would of been a time in Brisbane when the Bears were playing (similarily with the Sydney Swans) where Melbourne people are asking why does the AFL persist with them. Now Swans and Brisbane have a decent fan base.

For those who don't think they deserve to be there, well you have limited to view of what success means. I think 3 GF Appearances and 2 Premiership Victories in 10 years of playing would suggest that they are doing what a lot of other clubs have not been able to do. As well of a long list of Representative players in that time including Cameron Smith who is the likely contender to captain the Australian side in the test match this year.

When you look at what Melbourne have achieved in the last 10 years and then you look at a lot of the Sydney clubs then they have achieved a lot more in the last decade. Look at Cronulla who has not won a premiership in it's 40 years, South Sydney who made the finals for the first time in 20-something years, Parramatta haven't take one out since the mid 80's, St George hasn't since the late 70's. Also Cowboys and NZ have been in the competition longer then Melbourne as well and not been able to go that 1 game extra as well. I am not aiming to disrespect these teams as like some of them but when you compare their successes to others then they look pretty good to me.

Then you say why don't they move them to Central Coast, well there is easily a long list of reasons but a couple for mine is. Melbourne is a big centre with lots of corporate dollars and growth potential for RL. Players like to go to Melbourne to play football, it's a nice place to live. I know i would prefer to live in Melbourne then on the Central Coast.

I don't want our game going back to the NSWRL, we are now a National Competition. Let us make it the greatest National Competition in Australia.

Avenger

Immortal
They need their arse kicked here in Perth also. The presentation of the NRL trophy was not shown because they had to go to the news at 7pm (Perth time). What angered me more is that they had a story on how pissed people were getting in Geelong before a story of a local multi car fatality.

These Westies here make me sick. I cannot wait to get back to Sydney.

taipan

Referee
dubby said:
That is one of the best posts I have ever read re: Storm.

I doubt they have a long term future in the NRL simply cos the majority of Vics do not give a damn about them.

They should be relocated to Perth where they came from, and where there is a future. FGS the Reds averaged crowds akin to the Storm with less success.

yeah right,the majority of NSW people couldn't give a rats about the swans or AFL for that matter,doesn't stop the swans from staying in Sydney.
Funny the SOO sold out at the T Dome last year,the NZ test got over 30,000 ,and the semi got 33,000 plus with no Parra supporters.TV ratings for these games and G/F are growing and even amazed ch9 execs..
They currently play in a sh*t stadium and still get better crowds than a couple of Sydney clubs in the RL heartland.
The 2nd largest city(commerce) in Oz and you ignore it,glad you are not running any sport>they would shrink.
The vic govt is financially assisting the game in development,so is the dreaded News Ltd,and the Storm has bigger sponsorship than many NRL clubs,the game is growing in the schools,so some think we should pack up shop,some people couldn't run a tuck shop.Get rid of the Storm in Melbourne and watch the next TV contract shrink,and watch players drift to other codes where they can earn more.

dimitri

First Grade
its actually quite funny that people still write this crap

the storm, broncos and the rabbitohs are way out in front of everyone else in this country in terms of how to run a RL Club.

The fact that they have sold so many season memberships, the fact they have excellent corporate support, the fact that more people in melbourne watch the nrl GF than Sydney people watch the afl GF etc etc etc

There is so much good the Storm has already accomplished and it's only going to get better.

We also must remember that the nrl does them little favours unlike the afl and aflnsw who pour millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into developing the code in nsw

ramble_on

Juniors
Avenger said:
They need their arse kicked here in Perth also. The presentation of the NRL trophy was not shown because they had to go to the news at 7pm (Perth time). What angered me more is that they had a story on how pissed people were getting in Geelong before a story of a local multi car fatality.

I agree with that Avenger, but I was still too shocked that it was actually on live to complain about the way they quickly shut it down and got on with more AFL dribble..... the media here seems extremely bias... I wonder if it has anything to do with pulling a developing club out without so much as a thank you good bye...... I'd imagine the effect in Melbourne if the same was done down there would be a lot more detrimental to the game....

even with the lack of adequate coverage of the NRL I'd rather be here than Sydney any day..... but then I'd rather be in Baghdad than Sydney any day.....

Surandy

Bench
taxidriver said:
Monday's melbourne papers, the day after a glorious victory by the best team in the comp for the last two years still has on the front page, geelongs win.

reports of maybe 2 or 3 hundred people in federation square to watch the game.

yep, victorians really care about NRL

What version are you reading?

The copy I have says 500 at Fed Square (considering the weather that wasn't too bad) and dedicated the first four pages of the sports section to the NRL Grand Final. 5 and a bit pages in total.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
The anti-expansionist tools are on again I see...........change the record fellas!

Well done Melbourne. Time the GF went to the MCG!

eels_fan_01

Bench
KalgoorlieRed said:
The anti-expansionist tools are on again I see...........change the record fellas!

If the NRL grand final was moved away from Sydney then id personally burn down NRL headquarters.....

However i am a supporter of Storm in this competition and expansion.

taxidriver

Coach
The copy I have says 500 at Fed Square (considering the weather that wasn't too bad) and dedicated the first four pages of the sports section to the NRL Grand Final. 5 and a bit pages in total.

thanks for the confirmation that it didnt make the front page

innsaneink

Referee
KalgoorlieRed said:

Im not against expansion...but your statement is really quite ridiculous, obviously a gee up

Perth Red

Post Whore
Avenger said:

You clearly have no idea (surprised they let you into the State!)

Compared to what we have had to endure since we were shafted, this years media attention was 100 hundred times better. It seems the wounds of the Reds treatment are finally healing. Long may it continue and lets hope the NRL/ARL get their finger out and capitalise on it.