What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne - Who Gives A Toss

What is it with this obsession of having a NRL team from Melbourne. Why the hell does RL in Australia need a ' Melbourne Franchise '. God, I hate that word - Melbourne. They were bought a premiership and they still don't care.

Here in the UK, people have this notion our great sport is NOT a Northern only sport, when it very much is. There are amatuer teams playing all over the country, but thats all they'll ever be - amatuer.

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth - forget it.

Brisbane, Leeds, Sydney, Leigh - rugby league heartlands that we should be proud of and if thats the limit of our game, so be it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I care.
Victorians are every bit capable of playing this game, lets help them.
It is not about destroying AFL, it is about giving kids with no necks something to do. ;-)
I like to watch good players, the more the better.

I agree Angry.

Surely there are heterosexual males in Victoria?

If their only option is AFL, they're buggered. :|

Seriously, I've never been too fussed about Melbourne but I don't think that they should be given the flick.

Go back to racing whippets you moron! :roll:

You obviously dont know much about the sport in the UK, let alone whats going in in Australia!

nqboy

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Surely there are heterosexual males in Victoria?

If their only option is AFL, they're buggered

...and therefore not heterosexual

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Original Eye said:
What is it with this obsession of having a NRL team from Melbourne. Why the hell does RL in Australia need a ' Melbourne Franchise '. God, I hate that word - Melbourne. They were bought a premiership and they still don't care.

Here in the UK, people have this notion our great sport is NOT a Northern only sport, when it very much is. There are amatuer teams playing all over the country, but thats all they'll ever be - amatuer.

Brisbane, Leeds, Sydney, Leigh - rugby league heartlands that we should be proud of and if thats the limit of our game, so be it. There's nothing wrong with that.

You were probably one of the people that said "Who would ever want a mobile phone?" and "The Internet? It's a passing fad" :roll:

Expansion of Rugby League isn't about forgetting our grass-roots or wanting to "attack" strong-holds of other codes, it's about showing others what a great game we have & opening up the code to more people & vice versa...

Cheers,
Ben S.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, and putting a team in Auckland was a stupid idea too, I mean everyone knows NZ's union territory don't they?

Hoggy

Bench
The Original Eye said:

A possibility to the worst and stupidest post ever.

Go back to losing most sports you Pommy git.

Hoggy said:
The Original Eye said:

A possibility to the worst and stupidest post ever.

Go back to losing most sports you Pommy git.

Here freakin' here.

t-ba

Post Whore
Maybe if you Damn Kiwi's didn't hand out citizenships like Lolly water, we wouldn't have to deal with any army of Naturalised pommies...

Please take a Slow ship back to your dickensian hell hole limey...

DIEHARD

----
Melbourne Storm have my total support, that have one of the best and passionate fan bases I've seen. Their dedication and passion is inspiring. We are the National Rugby League and we can't add to the sins of killing Adelaide and Perth by killing the Storm. We would lose total credibility nationally forever. We would be signing our own death warrants. Can you imagine all these bias journalists always bringing up the fact that we gave up? I'd be furious.

Melbourne just isn't a franchise, I assure you I can vouch first hand its a club and a fantastic one as well. With minimal tv and paper coverage, no local talent and a constant cloud hanging over its head, you have to expect people to be suspect.

It's time we ALL got behind the Storm. They have a bright future and they have a fantastic product to offer and a big market to tap into. The heartlands are the priority but Melbourne represents the future and hope for a national competition, how ever long that may be. They add colour and deversity to our competition and they are a good team with fantastic players and a good spirit and great following.

I challenge any NSWRL zealot to go to a Storm home game and then reassess if they want their head on a pike outside Phillip St!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Maybe if you Damn Kiwi's didn't hand out citizenships like Lolly water, we wouldn't have to deal with any army of Naturalised pommies...

Sure.

Yeah, and putting a team in Auckland was a stupid idea too, I mean everyone knows NZ's union territory don't they?

That's why league seems to be getting more talkback on the radio? ;-)

Bring back the 5m rule - Please.

God almighty.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
The Original Eye said:

You sound like a bloody Australian you pratt

Since the new sport radio station SEN 1116am has started the coverage for Storm and also League has been amazing. Even the ABC have lifted their game down here and did a report on Sundays game.

dimitri

First Grade
Diehard said:
Melbourne Storm have my total support, that have one of the best and passionate fan bases I've seen. Their dedication and passion is inspiring. We are the National Rugby League and we can't add to the sins of killing Adelaide and Perth by killing the Storm. We would lose total credibility nationally forever. We would be signing our own death warrants. Can you imagine all these bias journalists always bringing up the fact that we gave up? I'd be furious.

Melbourne just isn't a franchise, I assure you I can vouch first hand its a club and a fantastic one as well. With minimal tv and paper coverage, no local talent and a constant cloud hanging over its head, you have to expect people to be suspect.

It's time we ALL got behind the Storm. They have a bright future and they have a fantastic product to offer and a big market to tap into. The heartlands are the priority but Melbourne represents the future and hope for a national competition, how ever long that may be. They add colour and deversity to our competition and they are a good team with fantastic players and a good spirit and great following.

I challenge any NSWRL zealot to go to a Storm home game and then reassess if they want their head on a pike outside Phillip St!

i agree

totally their crowdsare usually in the low 10,000's which is often better than one or 2 sydney home games every round

they are light years ahead of where the sydney swans were in the same stage of their development

Zef

Juniors
Pssssst Dimitri.

You know they're coming...
Bumkins_large.jpg

And "you know who" has to make room for them.

Somebody give me a bullet.

Latest posts