What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne's biggest rivals.

Which club will have the biggest rivalry with the Melbourne Storm?

• Gold Coast - over the Turner and Smith non-signings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney - because dumb Melbourne people are jealous of the Harbour city

• Newcastle - because Inglis was a Knights junior

• Cronulla - because they couldn't get White or Kearns in a rep jumper

• Wests - the McCraken spear tackle, the Williams king hit, the Slater head kicking

• North Queensland - because the eather is always 30deg cooler in Melbourne

• Canterbury - because Melbourne go away with their cheating for longer

• Total voters

Loudstrat

Coach
We all hate the Storm, not necessarily their fans who have been wonderful and stoic throughout this. It's also the fans that have now cemented Melbourne as a RL town. Yet - over time, the lines will be blurred, and the banter between rival supporters will simply be defending their club. Sort of like Dogs supporters, who are generally nice people, but we all bag because of their clubs deeds.

So in the light of recent developments, who will emerge as the Storms biggest rival in a Saints/Sharks type of way?

Dutchy

Immortal
Manly and Dragons have formed the biggest rivalry with Melbourne IMO. Broncos to a lesser extent.

clarency

Juniors
I think this largely hinges on who goes where. Most of the talk focuses around Broncos and Manly. As Broncos snatched Falou it really upped the feud between them. If we see one of Storm's big 4 go with them as well I can see Broncos and Storm becoming a nice rivalry.

Assuming Broncos get their top players going again.

matt

Juniors
Whilst they are a owned by News limited,they will never have any rivalry as far as I am concerned,They are scum and I wouldnt give them 80 minutes of my time a week.

Is this another news LTD stunt, totry and make some rivalry to raise the dead horse again?

They are not worthy of rivals...let the merkins perish.

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
We all hate the Storm, not necessarily their fans who have been wonderful and stoic throughout this. It's also the fans that have now cemented Melbourne as a RL town. Yet - over time, the lines will be blurred, and the banter between rival supporters will simply be defending their club. Sort of like Dogs supporters, who are generally nice people, but we all bag because of their clubs deeds.

So in the light of recent developments, who will emerge as the Storms biggest rival in a Saints/Sharks type of way?
You truly are an optimist!

By the way, what year do you reckon the Storm will be able to stand on its own two feet financially? ie. when could News actually sell it to an organisation that would make money from the storm in its own right. The Storm has worth to news only on the basis of it being interlinked to their media empire. I hadn't realised you were such a strong advocate of New's endless involvement in rugby league.

Canard

Immortal
One positive of all this, and there hasn't been many, is that it finally dispels this "Woe is me" attitude that SOME Dogs fans have.

Since 2002, its been stated ad nausem by these fans that the NRL picked on them, and wouldn't have done this with any other club. And that Gallop had to go due to his bias against there club.

The book has finally closed on that view thankfully.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Never speak on my behalf.

Goddo

Bench
Broncos, Sea Eagles, Dragons... there is some real hate between those clubs and the Storm.

rabbit0h8

Juniors
I would say Manly because they have had a great rivalry with the storm over the last couple of ears followed by the dragons.

Also, Souths have beaten the Storm. I think it was 41-14 in 2003. So I would say we have the worst rivalry with them.

Doomednow

Bench
I'd say Manly due to them both being pretty involved in the finals recently, especially after they went back to back in 07 and 08. Melbourne should be hurting especially after Manly got vengeance with 40 - 0 scoreline.

If the whinging contingent of the Parramatta support base keeps up their complaining about how they deserve last years premiership though something might develop there.

Personally I always love to see Melbourne get beaten. Even before the cap scandal. Smug team and fans. But hey its all in the name sportsmanship. I guess.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Some Dragons fans haven't stopped rocking in the corner since 1999. There will always be some bitterness there.

Bman26

Juniors
As a storm fan, I feel that the biggest rivalry games are in no certain order

Dragons
Brisbane
Manly

I find myself always looking forward to these games on the calender.

Latest posts