What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

Big Time

Juniors
hhhhmmmmmm. let me think about this. you are saying i cut and pasted what you wrote and that i didn't actually think exactly the same thing and type it down word for word. well i never!!!! you sure are a lot cleverererer then poor little me.

as for using walmart and merkin all in the one gag. ummmm. i don't know what to say. really good.

Goddo

Bench
hhhhmmmmmm. let me think about this. you are saying i cut and pasted what you wrote and that i didn't actually think exactly the same thing and type it down word for word. well i never!!!! you sure are a lot cleverererer then poor little me.

as for using walmart and merkin all in the one gag. ummmm. i don't know what to say. really good.

Ok, but gramatically exactly the same? the logical arguments in exactly the same order? and most telling, the punctuation. Just looking at this post above, you aren't using capitals at the beginning of sentences, your word structure is really different, use of multipule exclamation marks.

Odds for all that to occur as an independent thought are easily over 1 billion to one.

Get your merkin out of the closset from your Davie Crocker fanboy days and throw it on. There, feel better?

Peppers

Juniors
Gees you lot were quick on to that one. Hey Big Time you've got to be quick to pull the wool over the eyes in here!

Big Time

Juniors
Ok, but gramatically exactly the same? the logical arguments in exactly the same order? and most telling, the punctuation. Just looking at this post above, you aren't using capitals at the beginning of sentences, your word structure is really different, use of multipule exclamation marks.

Odds for all that to occur as an independent thought are easily over 1 billion to one.

Get your merkin out of the closset from your Davie Crocker fanboy days and throw it on. There, feel better?

1 billion to 1. man oh man. i would love to have had a few quid on that. i'd like be rich. i could buy a tarago, stop renting and afford a two bedroom unit in warialda and i could start drinking good beer like corona. woo hoo. i wish i was smarted like you.

Big Time

Juniors
How about instead of "Big", change your name to "Waste Of".

touche. excellent play on words.

whats with the word "merkin". it seems to be a popular word doesn't it. everyone is using it. is that what all the kiddies are calling eachother in the playgrounds these days. sure different from when i was a youngun. i used to call people rude stuff like stupid pants and poo poo heads.

is merkin a term of endearment. does this mean we are friends. we like could be friends because we think the same. like how you copied what i said tezza. we are peas on a pod.

Big Time

Juniors
booyah. you smarty knickers keep picking people up on their grammatical errors. wee clever dicks. naughty me.

Noa

First Grade
He's not lying. He's taking the piss out of anyone who thinks he's being serious.

Ulysseus

Bench
Because :shock: There seems to be an unfortunately high proportion of Saints fans who are anti-Melbourne post the GF. Wonder why that is...

No, I'm pretty sure most us already were extensively unhappy about the fact that a failing business gets handouts constantly LONG before this years GF.

meltiger, you sound like an intelligent bloke, which has me wondering why you are trying to justify what is unjustifiable, as another poster said, in a city of 4 million people they should be able to drum up some cash.

In spite of what the fund manager said in regards to my earlier post about pulling the plug on something that isn't making money, I still say that if something hasn't made a profit in a few years, it is probably not going to mate, 12 years of financial failure despite on field success, and still NO JUNIOR BASE, is not just deplorable, it is beyond the realms of possibility that there is a way back from here.
Let's just assume a figure of 7million (and it would probably be a figure close to that) a year for the last 12 years, that is $84 million.
Profit = $0
Loss= $84,000,000
TV rights, a few shirt sales here and there, I still fail to see how keeping this life support based club in business is having any long term benefits for the games finances, its all a bit similar to the old statement "we are going to make Laurie Daley a household name in America!" to me at this point in time, and many past points in time.

Don't get me wrong, I will be step back and say ween them off it slowly, if they can make the $$$ to stay in the comp and be competitive then so be it, if they can't and another private owner can prop them up so be it (NOT News Ltd or anything closely related) BUT there must come a point, within the next 5 or so years, when that magical investment amount of $100,000,000 will be touched on, where they MUST stand on their own two feet and justify their own existence with a steady income stream, an ability to balance their own books, a credible junior base of some description (it doesn't have to be QLD standard, but there must be something) and the ability to function without News Ltd's high handed intervention.
If they can, then so be it, if they can't afford to play in the big show, the door is just to the left.
There is a distinct difference between development (long or short term) and propping something up in spite of its failings.
As for the fund manager who had different ideas to me on what constitutes good business practices and investment and divestment points, the company I work for pulled a profit of about $1,100,000,000 out of NSW alone (that's 1.1 billion) a similar amount out of QLD and about another $15,000,000,000 from the operations in other countries, whilst at the same time divesting large chunks of a company they paid overs for a little while back, what was worth $38,000,000,000 is now only worth $16,000,000,000 (pre GFC purchase gone bad, paid too much) we ARE NOT propping it up till the cows come home, it was given a time frame to un-f**k itself, the time has passed, parts of that company have now been scattered to the four winds for sizeable chunks of money that have come pretty close to levelling the ledger.
LESSON: To move forward, in a positive manner, emotional attachment must be disgarded, a vision to what is the future must not let blur what is the current reality, if the current reality is not good enough after attempts to make it so, then it's inclusion in an asset group must be considered..............

Ulysseus

Bench
I don't know how you did it, but you did. About time you started thinking for yourself hey son!!

hahahahahahahaha, OMFG! :lol:
Mate, that is possibly the most piss poor pathetic defence I have ever seen!
GTFO now!

If you had any credibility, it just got thrown out with the garbage.

The art of cheating is to not get caught, son, you must go learn the art.

Although they say a plagiarist steals only from one source, a genius borrows from many, and a f**kwit like Big Time steals from one source, a week after it was created and then plays dumb.
Here's a hint mate, you don't need to play dumb, you are. :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let's just assume a figure of 7million (and it would probably be a figure close to that) a year for the last 12 years, that is $84 million.
Profit = $0
Loss= $84,000,000

Again what proof is there of this? None that I have ever seen other than News using it to justify why they take their grant out of the NRL funds, and lets face it, it is nice justification for them even if it isn't true (ie don't consider us robbing the game as we are in fact (or fiction) putting it straight back into the development of the game).

The fact we have a market of 4 million that are currently not seeing NRL live every week, have a good team to get behind and have shown when they get the chance they will switch on the telly is a huge plus for any TV rights deals in the future.

Flipping the coin if News really have invested that much money into Melbourne then they must consider it being worthwhile, I am pretty sure they aren't doing it for the future health of the NRL or out of the goodness of their corporate heart!!

Big Time

Juniors
hahahahahahahaha, OMFG! :lol:
Mate, that is possibly the most piss poor pathetic defence I have ever seen!
GTFO now!

If you had any credibility, it just got thrown out with the garbage.

The art of cheating is to not get caught, son, you must go learn the art.

Although they say a plagiarist steals only from one source, a genius borrows from many, and a f**kwit like Big Time steals from one source, a week after it was created and then plays dumb.
Here's a hint mate, you don't need to play dumb, you are. :D

I just cannot get through my head how two people wrote exactly the same thing. It just so amazes me. And to have it in exactly the same thread. Wow, this just gets more amazing doesn't it. But nothing gets past people like you does it. You are all just too cleverererer for me.

I like how you expressed your emotions throughout the above. At the beginning you just had a raw smile and a bit of a laugh. Then as you got on you started to realise the genius of your wittiness (not sure if that is a word, but f*ck it should be) you produced a big toothy smile. You were extremely happy with yourself weren't you. Good on you son.

Last edited:

j5o6hn

Juniors
One about about Sydney People is they dont believe in staying around to give something time to grow,how long and how much money has the AFL poured into the Swans,how much money have they poured into Brisbane,how much do you think they will put into the two new teams.
Do you think they are looking for a short term fix which it seems to me a few on here are O well its been ten years thats long enough lets go find another thing that glitters.
Every heard of long term planning,some of you dont want the league to plan any more than a week in advance,if you club has money problems,if your club is not getting a big enough cut I suggest you you look at managment practices in your club first how many mates are in cushy jobsthen get your club to work on members .
The AFL looks 40 yrs down the road the Swans have been in Sydney for 30 odd years they get crowds of 30,000 and the AFL is still putting money in,but not you lot ten years that it.no thinking ahead at all,the Storm have done well with a crap ground and hostile audience leave them be and keep funding them,if your club cant compete look at your own club first,unless you have proof they are fiddling the cap and can prove it all the alegations are just so much hot air,bit like people saying that League has to expand some of you just want a Sydney Comp and everything else is all just to hard

Big Time

Juniors
Melbourne has won 3 premierships in the last 11 seasons. There has to come a time when they can support themselves. If they aren't turning a profit now after all the success they have had, you would have to question whether they ever will.

drake

First Grade
One about about Sydney People is they dont believe in staying around to give something time to grow,how long and how much money has the AFL poured into the Swans,how much money have they poured into Brisbane,how much do you think they will put into the two new teams.
Do you think they are looking for a short term fix which it seems to me a few on here are O well its been ten years thats long enough lets go find another thing that glitters.
Every heard of long term planning,some of you dont want the league to plan any more than a week in advance,if you club has money problems,if your club is not getting a big enough cut I suggest you you look at managment practices in your club first how many mates are in cushy jobsthen get your club to work on members .
The AFL looks 40 yrs down the road the Swans have been in Sydney for 30 odd years they get crowds of 30,000 and the AFL is still putting money in,but not you lot ten years that it.no thinking ahead at all,the Storm have done well with a crap ground and hostile audience leave them be and keep funding them,if your club cant compete look at your own club first,unless you have proof they are fiddling the cap and can prove it all the alegations are just so much hot air,bit like people saying that League has to expand some of you just want a Sydney Comp and everything else is all just to hard
And how do Victorian AFL supporters, old school ones, feel about the Swans?
Most ex Victorian blokes I've spoken to would rather drive a spike through their eye than support the Swans inclusion in the AFL.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
And how do Victorian AFL supporters, old school ones, feel about the Swans?
Most ex Victorian blokes I've spoken to would rather drive a spike through their eye than support the Swans inclusion in the AFL.
Which is a good thing for RL, if AFL supporters stay insular and it stunts the growth of AFL it wont be long until it goes back to the VFL and RL can capitalise on it, expand and become the National Sport of all of Australia.

In saying that the roles will be reversed if a lot of the insular Sydneysiders on here had their way and Melbourne were given the boot from the NRL.