What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

drake

First Grade
Which is a good thing for RL, if AFL supporters stay insular and it stunts the growth of AFL it wont be long until it goes back to the VFL and RL can capitalise on it, expand and become the National Sport of all of Australia.

In saying that the roles will be reversed if a lot of the insular Sydneysiders on here had their way and Melbourne were given the boot from the NRL.
This has nothing to do with being a Sydneysider. I would feel the same if I was from rural NSW or QLD. It is not anti Melbourne feelings, it is disgust with an arm US corporation forcing a franchise into the premier Rugby League comp in the world and paying for it out of money that could have gone into grass roots rugby league.
If Gold Coast were the same, or one of the Sydney clubs, I'd still be against it. Don't mistake a disgust of multinational corporations meddling and manipulating with an issue with Melbourne. I've never been there.

It is a catch 22 situation; Melbourne has no real junior comp, but without a Victorian team, how will kids get into Rugby League?
Possibly the same way that every area outside of Sydney did up until 1982?
Meanwhile, we have Rugby League heartlands in NSW and QLD that have no team to reward their decades of loving the sport.

Maybe if the NRL was not a gutless shelf company for an American mogul, money would go into pushing RL throughout Australia, including Victoria.

But you can't sell pay TV subscriptions for under 18s competition.

My issue is not with Melbourne city, Victoria or the few but staunch RL fans south of the border, it's with News Ltd and it's parent company News Corp.

News Corporation(often abbreviated to News Corp.) is the world's second largest media conglomerate (behind Walt Disney Company) as of 2008 and the world's third largest in entertainment as of 2009 [5][6][7][8]. The company's Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Founder is Rupert Murdoch.
News Corporation is a publicly-traded company listed on the Nasdaq and the Australian Securities Exchange and as a secondary listing on the London Stock Exchange. Formerly incorporated in South Australia, the company was re-incorporated into Delaware General Corporation Law after a majority of shareholders approved the move on 12 November 2004.
News Corporation's headquarters is at 1211 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Ave.), in New York City, in the newer 1960s-1970s corridor of the Rockefeller Center complex.

Sounds like a bunch of folks who really get Rugby League.

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light...

Ulysseus

Bench
I just cannot get through my head how two people wrote exactly the same thing. It just so amazes me. And to have it in exactly the same thread. Wow, this just gets more amazing doesn't it. But nothing gets past people like you does it. You are all just too cleverererer for me.

I like how you expressed your emotions throughout the above. At the beginning you just had a raw smile and a bit of a laugh. Then as you got on you started to realise the genius of your wittiness (not sure if that is a word, but f*ck it should be) you produced a big toothy smile. You were extremely happy with yourself weren't you. Good on you son.

So, just to clarify, this is your own original work and not something borrowed from elsewhere in the thread, forum or from a similar thread of forum?

And yes, wittiness does have a dictionary meaning (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...:+wittiness&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=) so I think we can call it a real word.

Its not the fact you quoted someone else and tried in a piss poor manner to pass it off as your own thoughts, it was the disturbing attempt to cover it up, short of saying you posses a telepathic link with the OP, it was a joke, frankly I hope you are running this as a joke and are getting some kind of laugh out of it, because if you are actually trying to convince anyone that you wrote an identical post without viewing the original etc etc then this is just f**king sad.

_Johnsy

Referee
I actually find it quite amusing that waste of continues to lie about something that is obvious. Covering a lie with another lie, usually never ends well. Just cop it on the chin, admit you copied the text then lied.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
This has nothing to do with being a Sydneysider. I would feel the same if I was from rural NSW or QLD. It is not anti Melbourne feelings, it is disgust with an arm US corporation forcing a franchise into the premier Rugby League comp in the world and paying for it out of money that could have gone into grass roots rugby league.
If Gold Coast were the same, or one of the Sydney clubs, I'd still be against it. Don't mistake a disgust of multinational corporations meddling and manipulating with an issue with Melbourne. I've never been there.

The general consensus of this thread is insular sydneysiders, so I apologise if that is not you. I understand what you are saying but in the end the NRL needs to market the game better and take advantage of better sponsorships and TV deals so there is money for Melbourne and grass roots football as well as future expansion into other areas.

It is a catch 22 situation; Melbourne has no real junior comp, but without a Victorian team, how will kids get into Rugby League?
Possibly the same way that every area outside of Sydney did up until 1982?
Meanwhile, we have Rugby League heartlands in NSW and QLD that have no team to reward their decades of loving the sport.
You say you have never been to Melbourne yet you seem to think there is "no junior comp" down here. Yes the VRL wasn't run properly in the past but it is being run the way it should now and things are getting better and it is growing. The reason it is now being run like it should is a result of having an NRL team here in Victoria, without one the VRL would go back to where it use to be and that’s not pretty at all.
I agree about the RL heartland areas outside of Sydney, they do deserve a team, but the NRL will not want to put in another NSW based team. RL already have NSW and QLD locked up, so the only way to really grow the sport is to expand and not everyone is going to be happy about that.

I hate using AFL as a comparison but look at the way they are supporting the Western Sydney team that is going into the comp in 2012. Almost $1mill extra on the salary cap, 9 out of the first 16 draft picks for 2011, the top 8 rookie draft picks next year plus so many other concessions, Melbourne Storm has never been given those types of concessions and the NRL most likely couldn’t afford them.

big_matt

Juniors
Where is everyone getting that the Storm don't have a junior team with locals in it? Our under-16 team just made the grand final and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IS A VICTORIAN. Cam Smith estimates some of these victorians will be in first grade in 3 years. If that's not a junior team with locals in it I don't know what is.

If you want to bash the Storm then at least use facts instead of making up blatant lies about our junior system. Anyone can make up nonsense to win an argument.

Also, I see that Andrew Demetriou today has said with the western sydney AFL team, the AFL is hoping that the team will have some traction in the western suburbs in 20 years time and can build from there.

However some people on here think the Storm, after 10 years (i.e. half that timeframe) in a dump of a stadium, should have built up a huge supporter base and turning a profit that even sydney teams that have been around for 100 years can't.

Some people just can't get it, and the game will suffer as a result.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
I actually find it quite amusing that waste of continues to lie about something that is obvious. Covering a lie with another lie, usually never ends well. Just cop it on the chin, admit you copied the text then lied.
Dude he is trying to have a dig, its the off season all the merkins come out and they think they are being hilarious:roll:

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Where is everyone getting that the Storm don't have a junior team with locals in it? Our under-16 team just made the grand final and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IS A VICTORIAN. Cam Smith estimates some of these victorians will be in first grade in 3 years. If that's not a junior team with locals in it I don't know what is.

If you want to bash the Storm then at least use facts instead of making up blatant lies about our junior system. Anyone can make up nonsense to win an argument.

Also, I see that Andrew Demetriou today has said with the western sydney AFL team, the AFL is hoping that the team will have some traction in the western suburbs in 20 years time and can build from there.

However some people on here think the Storm, after 10 years (i.e. half that timeframe) in a dump of a stadium, should have built up a huge supporter base and turning a profit that even sydney teams that have been around for 100 years can't.

Some people just can't get it, and the game will suffer as a result.
Where exactly did you get that from? Which team are you talking about buddy the SG Ball team or???

Big Time

Juniors
So, just to clarify, this is your own original work and not something borrowed from elsewhere in the thread, forum or from a similar thread of forum?

And yes, wittiness does have a dictionary meaning (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...:+wittiness&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=) so I think we can call it a real word.

Its not the fact you quoted someone else and tried in a piss poor manner to pass it off as your own thoughts, it was the disturbing attempt to cover it up, short of saying you posses a telepathic link with the OP, it was a joke, frankly I hope you are running this as a joke and are getting some kind of laugh out of it, because if you are actually trying to convince anyone that you wrote an identical post without viewing the original etc etc then this is just f**king sad.

So I invent the word 'wittiness' yesterday and now it is in a dictionary. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should write to them and get them to pay me for the use of my word.

Are you are trying to tell me that I didn't write an identical post and that I simply copied it off someone else and I am now trying to fob it off as my own?? This is ludicrous my friend. I cannot explain it. Two blokes wrote exactly the same thing, word for word, i mean exactly the same in every sense. Not only that they posted it in the same thread. Wow.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of work do you do. Are you a Rocket Scientist by any chance??:BDH:

I hate offseasons!!