What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meli gonnnnnnnnnnnne?

ozbash

Referee
when will management realise you can't make a good hangi without good meat.

one of the better bartercard games ive seen was last nights curtain raiser between ottahuhu and the cantab bulls, sh*t there was some talent on display and quite a few looked as though they would definitely be at home in a warriors shirt.

i was talking to a few guys - in the know- about the warriors dev squad and the closest answer to what the squad is, is the bartercard cup comp.
so, are we developing these kids for the aussie/esl scouts to move in on ?
is it an invisible squad/team that is really just a carrot being dangled in front of these young guys ?

from what i,ve read about things, of the 33 junior kiwis squad (made up mostly of bartercard players, with a few prem league ring-ins), 27 are signed up with nrl clubs. i,m not sure if this includes the warriors but previous form suggests not.

in the recent student world cup ( which, incidently, we won) i wonder how many of these kids have put pen to paper before they even boarded the plane back to their respective homes.

you know, we in nz are in the sh*t, or very soon will be with the exodus of talent leaving our shores. the aussies very cynically say we have the biggest nursury in the world, but for whom ? mick doesnt want them.

he makes his thoughts on the developement and continuation of the game in new zealand goes,, buy offshore.

the decision to get an up and coming halfback from the roosters prem league side is a f**king disgrace. it is a smack in the face for some fringe kiwi kids who have busted their arses doing the right things in a forlorne hope of making the warriors and then, just maybe, a black jersey.

it sickens me to think of what we are missing.

Iafeta

Referee
Ozbash, in fairness, I do understand that the club expects (and are training them up too), the likes of Sonny Fa'i, Frank-Paul Nuuasuala, Cooper Vuna, George Tuakara, Marvin Filipo, Dean Shepherd and Sam Rapira to be in the first grade team next year. Fa'i, Vuna, Nuuasuala and Rapira are in the Junior Kiwis, Rapira is the captain, Nuuasuala is an Ali type prospect, Vuna we've seen and Sonny Fa'i is a 17 year old who bench presses 175kgs.

I know this is something Mick Watson has come out and said at various stages, the club are looking to give those blokes extended opportunities in first grade, along with Simon Mannering and Manu Vatuvei. I think thats a step in the right direction.

I know when Danny Sullivan first came over in 2003 that he spoke of how awesome the development squad was - so at that stage it must have still been active.

I believe they need to do one of two things:-

A:) Create a Bartercard Franchise purely reporting to the Warriors, and contracted to the Warriors.
B:) Get involved again with the NSWRL Premier League, or perhaps even the Queensland Cup with a reserve grade side, with contracted players as the core.

The problem is, as in the case recently of Sika Manu who was picked up by the Warriors at the same time as Simon Mannering (Manu is now with the Storm) is that these players are effectively not obligated to stick with the Warriors, nor are they as it appears really given any benefits of being tied to the development squad.

The only way to do that is to gel them together in a unit. We, I believe, are pretty much the only club that does not have a feeder club underneath us. All the Sydney based clubs have Premier League sides, in the case of St George-Illawarra and Wests Tigers due to their mergers they have two, Brisbane have the Toowomba Clydesdales in Queensland, Melbourne Storm have the Norths Devils, North Queensland has the young guns. We have no real team underneath us, now its well and good that we have Bartercard etc., but how many players from Bartercard go elsewhere?

Yes, the Warriors need to support Bartercard more by being more interactive and proactive with the clubs - that is, retiring the likes of Betham and sending them around to the clubs to give coaching sessions to the coaches, and players. That way the growing dissatisfaction and disillusion with the connection to the Warriors will slide away - the stories of Wellington being a Bulldogs district will disintegrate etc. The reasons these stories pop up is because the Warriors have taken players and not given much back. They feel used by the Warriors. Take the likes of Justin Morgan even, he basically retired to coach in the Northern Hemisphere, why not keep him involved with the Warriors and send him around to the various clubs. Perhaps have some old stagers - Mathew Ridge, Terry Hermannson, Justin Morgan, Monty Betham - still contracted to the Warriors as Development Officers, working in the Bartercard, give Hermannson Canterbury and Wellington, send Morgs around Waicoa Bay and the Central Falcons, and have Betham and Ridge work in the Auckland club scene. Have them report to John Ackland.

And then build a real second string side. Yes. The costs are there. Undoubtably. And no doubt culling off that has helped the Warriors make a profit - which at the end of the day they are still going to need to do to stay operational - but the only way to ensure success, and continued success is to work with, not against the clubs. Work with our youngsters, not meekly offer a token development squad incentive incase one of them turns out to be the goods.

As far as Rovelli goes, in fairness to the Warriors again, its really only been in the case of Brent Webb and this fellow that we've basically picked a kid up without him having played first grade to bring into the squad. In the case of Webb, he was one of the Queensland Cup's top try scorers - good, cheap pick up. In the case of Rovelli, he's the NSW Residents Captain, so he shows leadership, again, potentially for the long term a good pick up.

We're badly missing the boat here. Something is not right. I believe in New Zealand, and I believe in New Zealand Rugby League, we can't get them all thats a given, but we've got to ensure we've got the best. And if recent examples of are anything to go by, I'm not certain we've done. We must put in place different structures to increase that opportunity. Credit to Cullen Sports on some initiatives, such as helping to develop the NJC, now its time to expand further and become a truly representative club of not only the top liners, but the youth of this country.

Sunday News said Meli is signing at the end of the week. They also predict that Misi Taule sorry i cant spell his last name but they say he will lead frog manu next season. Is he any good. If he is better than Manu then surely he should of played 1st grade already

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Why the hell is Manu not playing atm? If we can't develop him into a top-class winger than something is very wrong.

Iafeta

Referee
I know he had a phenomonal try scoring tally in the Bartercard last year R&S. He's rated fairly highly. I'd like to see him leapfrog Manu though, Manu is the beast, and the best damn wing product out of New Zealand since Sean Hoppe.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
I know he had a phenomonal try scoring tally in the Bartercard last year R&S. He's rated fairly highly. I'd like to see him leapfrog Manu though, Manu is the beast, and the best damn wing product out of New Zealand since Sean Hoppe.
Which is why I really can't see why we should be interested in Tupou. We're fine for wingers with or without Meli.

Iafeta

Referee
Scott said:
What about Cooper Vuna?

I'd prefer Vatuvei, purely on size as well as speed, but geez, that kid's speed was blinding. What pace to score against the Chooks last year.

Phillips

Referee
Iafeta said:
I'd prefer Vatuvei, purely on size as well as speed, but geez, that kid's speed was blinding. What pace to score against the Chooks last year.

anyone know when his (Vuna) contract ends?

Iafeta

Referee
lyon is a saint said:
Im gutted if the signing of Meli comes off... i dont rate him at all.

Although not many wingers can replace Darren Albert!

You won't be if you get him.

Then you'll see. He had a rough couple of years, but the last half of this season has been particularly good.

Esoj

Juniors
Warrington have apparently offered even more than st helens so meli is favoured to be going to warrington now

Latest posts