What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melon's Rankings for 2006

melon....

Coach
sharkadelic said:
Just want to query one point, Melon -

The first couple columns I think are a fair cop. The recruitment section poses some questions though. How can Canberra get a 4 in recruitment and the sharks -5. Admittedly the Raiders lost next to nobody but gained no-one special either. Thurling, Learoyd and Tilse are good prospects but Lomu and Williams are very ordinary at best.

The sharks did lose some veterans in Peach and Stevens, but they were no longer the force they once were in rep calculations. Nutley is a big loss, true. Sullivan and GAlloway were MIA more often then not and McGoldrick and co were not up to snuff.

Even losing two leader from the pack, they recruited Thompson and Ross which should cover alot of the experience shortfall. Simmons for PEach is a bad swap but I am hoping Albert can step in to help out there.

Teams like Auckland, Melb and Canterbury who have lost key playmakers surely would fare worse?

Melbourne should really watch their a$$ recruiting Crocker and Walker to cover the loss of Kearns, Bell and Orford. Inglis covers Bell but the other two leave gaping holes.
As I explained a little earlier, it factors whom they have retained as well...re-signing Schifforbrains, and also what they are doing with their lower grades and juniors. Canberra are placed very well depth wise, believe it or not.

pantherz9103

First Grade
melon.... said:
Powerhouse might be a bit strong...after all you have Gower.:lol:

Still a good enough player to play for Australia quite reguarly in recent times and would have been Dally M player of the Year in 2003 but the awards were called off because of the players strike. He was patchy last year but when we won the last 5 of the year he was back to top form, setting up many line breaks.

It will test his character in '06 to see how he performs after being sacked as captain and all the shaming. But Willie Mason copped worse in mid 2004 and then went on to be Man of the Match in the Grand Final, so he might knuckle down.