What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Membership next year -will you bother

Mr Red

First Grade
I think you just proved it. Success must occur every single year or you'll throw your toys out of the cot. There's a reason Veruca Salt was dressed in red and white

veruca-salt-now.jpg

at no point have i ever mentioned success must occur every single year...now should i re-ask the question on how we have been spoilt rotten this season, or will you once again avoid the answer..

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think you just proved it. Success must occur every single year or you'll throw your toys out of the cot. There's a reason Veruca Salt was dressed in red and white

veruca-salt-now.jpg

If we embrace your argument in this thread, you?re saying that blindly following poor leadership is the honourable way forward; or perhaps that Price is not the worst coach in Dragons history?

My 10YO has just joined a debating club and if you can prosecute either of these points successfully there may be income in a text book for you. (Not to mention ALP slush funds that would surely flood your way for a few pearls)

DaDragon

Juniors
i doubt for most supporters its with the intention of hurting the club financially, if you think a multi million dollar organisation will hurt if a few hundred members dont renew you are kidding yourself.
from a current members perspective i am not renewing my membership as one of the very few avenues we have in place to show our disproval at how the club has handled certain situations this year..

- the last minute changing of venues
- the re-signing of Price (rewarding a guy for underachieving)
- the ongoing dribble trotted out at post match interviews by both coach and captain is purely embarrassing and disrespectful to all supporters.

the onfield results for mine are only a portion of the underlying issues within the club and as a member what i am dissapointed with.

Rubbish. Other the the change of venues the other two reasons you mentioned are a result of poor on field performance. We would not be having this conversation if we had done better this year.

You also cannot assume this will affect few hundred members only. NRL clubs are generally struggling financially and for every member not renewing is hurting the club.

Anyway we have to accept there are bandwagon supporters out there at the end they have a choice however don't call yourself true fans.

grouch

First Grade
at no point have i ever mentioned success must occur every single year...now should i re-ask the question on how we have been spoilt rotten this season, or will you once again avoid the answer..
How dense are you? You haven't got what you wanted this season, that's my point. "Don't care how, I want it now".

If we embrace your argument in this thread, you?re saying that blindly following poor leadership is the honourable way forward; or perhaps that Price is not the worst coach in Dragons history?

My 10YO has just joined a debating club and if you can prosecute either of these points successfully there may be income in a text book for you. (Not to mention ALP slush funds that would surely flood your way for a few pearls)
Passionately following a rugby league club is an illogical act to begin with. If you're trying to bring some sense or reason to it in order to justify your abandonment, then be my guest. If you're a right wing political nut you're obviously adept at fooling yourself

Mr Red

First Grade
Rubbish. Other the the change of venues the other two reasons you mentioned are a result of poor on field performance. We would not be having this conversation if we had done better this year.

You also cannot assume this will affect few hundred members only. NRL clubs are generally struggling financially and for every member not renewing is hurting the club.

Anyway we have to accept there are bandwagon supporters out there at the end they have a choice however don't call yourself true fans.

not sure how young you are - (not being disrespectful)
any of us current supporters that supported the club through the late 80's and are still supporters simply cannot be called fair weather supporters...
the late 80's was perhaps one of lowest points of the dragons history any fair weather supporters would have well and truly jumped off before now...

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
How dense are you? You haven't got what you wanted this season, that's my point. "Don't care how, I want it now".

Passionately following a rugby league club is an illogical act to begin with. If you're trying to bring some sense or reason to it in order to justify your abandonment, then be my guest. If you're a right wing political nut you're obviously adept at fooling yourself

LOL@grouch... resort to name calling when you know you havent got a response.
anyway... time to move on... i am not here to pick a fight, and its not the first time you have come up empty when trying to justify your stance.
no credibility.

grouch

First Grade
LOL@grouch... resort to name calling when you know you havent got a response.
anyway... time to move on... i am not here to pick a fight, and its not the first time you have come up empty when trying to justify your stance.
no credibility.
So you bail on an argument when you're losing, just like you bail on your team when they're losing?

Cagey Mac

Bench

Oh dear

I hope I haven't misread you as you seem to have pinned me.

Membership gives you a voice and makes you a contributor. Using the threat of denial of that participation and contribution is a legitimate means of leveraging your voice.

It however only works if there are thousands of like-minded fellow supporters. (I think that Cleisthenes thought of the idea about 2500 years ago)

I assume when you attempt to nail my political persuasion that you're speaking of local and contemporary politics. Here I see the right as selfish and lacking any vision. The left as incompetent and grasping at straws. I see nepotism and corruption interspersed with talent, ambition and social conscience across the political spectrum.

Anyone that is happy with the policies and capabilities of either party in Australia is IMO, Ill-informed or has a single-issue vested interest.

Mr Red

First Grade
So you bail on an argument when you're losing, just like you bail on your team when they're losing?
your definition of losing seems questionable..
however i am not here to argue, i respect people's right to an opinion, even if its different to mine... provided they actually have some substance and can articulate why they have that opinion... of which you clearly dont and cant.

Gomarchin

Juniors
The problem is, some people aren't sticking. They are deserting. They are going AWOL. They are cowardly retreating away.

Some may justify it by saying "we demand the best". I think that's a cop out. The truth is, we are spoilt rotten.

What is your definition of 'spoilt rotten'? Is it based on the number of titles won? Number of times the team makes the finals?

I've been a supporter since 1976 and in that time we have won the premiership 3 times and bridesmaid 5 times. How does that make us 'spoilt rotten'? What's wrong with demanding success? Are Manly going through a 'rebuilding phase' after winning the comp in 08 and 11?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
What is your definition of 'spoilt rotten'? Is it based on the number of titles won? Number of times the team makes the finals?

I've been a supporter since 1976 and in that time we have won the premiership 3 times and bridesmaid 5 times. How does that make us 'spoilt rotten'? What's wrong with demanding success? Are Manly going through a 'rebuilding phase' after winning the comp in 08 and 11?

This...

DaDragon

Juniors
not sure how young you are - (not being disrespectful)
any of us current supporters that supported the club through the late 80's and are still supporters simply cannot be called fair weather supporters...
the late 80's was perhaps one of lowest points of the dragons history any fair weather supporters would have well and truly jumped off before now...

Every supporters case and ideology is different. Lets just hope we get out of this really bad period quickly and hope for a good 2014. I will be renewing my membership to ensure I support my team all the way.

grouch

First Grade

Yep, spoilt kids tend to compare themselves with other more fortunate children. And fortune plays a big part - with some luck we could have very easily won more comps early in our cycle in the mid 2000's, just like Manly did early in theirs.

While we're comparing, explain how Souffs membership was greater than ours even before getting a new coach, despite not winning a title since 71 and barely sighting the finals in 40 years hence?

People follow their chosen footy team for various reasons.
The only given is that it will come with it's good times, and inevitably, the bad times.
Withdrawing support during the bad times would make the savoring of the good times a rather hollow experience for me.

Godz Illa

Coach
People follow their chosen footy team for various reasons.
The only given is that it will come with it's good times, and inevitably, the bad times.
Withdrawing support during the bad times would make the savoring of the good times a rather hollow experience for me.
This.

+1

etc.

Rexxy

Coach
This.

+1

etc.

im very loyal (gold member since 96) but i dont like being treated as a mug. this years program at oki was shit, a new miserable experience. as a customer it doesnt interest me why or whose fault. i just want what i was promised and what i paid for. the moving of games from kogarah was because we let them treat us like mugs. they ahd three chances to tell us the game was moved and they dogged it each time. how pathetic some noo noos here puff out their chest and blindly confuse their bravado as loyalty. what if someone in your life is in hospital on a heart monitor and the nurse isnt there? do you run and get help or stand by idly saying Doctor knows best? Nurse knows best. Hospital knows best. It takes more love to speak up than to blindly accept like sheep.

In the case of the management of games at OKI and the rundown nature of the leagues club, Doust doesnt know best. the people who pay for it all do.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
I thought the decision to shift it to the SCG was bullshit as well and emailed the club to say as much.

That said, the game pulled a crowd of 15k, which is more than we got to any game at Kogarah all year. Maybe the Nurse did know best

Father Ted

First Grade
I thought the decision to shift it to the SCG was bullshit as well and emailed the club to say as much.

That said, the game pulled a crowd of 15k, which is more than we got to any game at Kogarah all year. Maybe the Nurse did know best

Minus 6 k for members ( read willow ). The nurse has misdiagosed because the nurse and indeed the doctor in charge has'nt listened to the patient's.

The ARLC wants all clubs to play home games in big stadiums so do our board which is something I and others will not have.. The ARLC is a dud imo so blindly in love with the AFL model that it can't think for itself and our board is so profoundly deaf to us that they or some of us have to go permanently sooner rather than later

. People love games at Kogarah and Wollongong , just for once give the people who matter the fans who show up what they want.

The trouble with our game is people won't let it settle there's always some arguement present and future about it's direction.