What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memo to Walker Smith...(And some others)

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
Likewise, I enjoy reading all your stuff and actually think we are similar in a lot of ways. But, don't tell me what I think. Last year I was as angry as all hell with our performances and yes, I did want Brian gone. But as I have said on many occassions this season, he has made me look like a fool and I am happy about that. Consequently, I am happy for him to now see out his contract.

It's not a "Get out of Jail free" card as HJ likes to call it, its just that I am one of the few people around here to have the balls to say that maybe I got it wrong.
I still however believe that he is on his last chance next season. Nothing other than a Grand Final parade will convince me that we need Brian to stay around any longer. Even then, I still think he should go.
Whether the players love him or not, I suggest that the best thing this club could do in 2007 would be to bring some fresh ideas into the joint, some fresh passion, and some renewed enthusiasm. I have no doubt that even the players would be better for it.

So it is on record ok? Brian has my full support for season 2006.
Beyond that, he doesn't.

Suity

while you may have mellowed on your smithy thoughts - you do get very vocal on the issue when things go bad - so deep down I believe you are very much in the "its all smithy's fault" frame of mind.

I actually think Smithy should go after next season too.....not cos I think he's crap tho - but because I think he should get out of all the stress that goes with being a coach - but yeah also because its probably time for a change - 10 yrs is enough winning or losing......that doesn't mean I blame him for trying his guts out to get us somewhere but not getting the magical GF

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
while you may have mellowed on your smithy thoughts - you do get very vocal on the issue when things go bad - so deep down I believe you are very much in the "its all smithy's fault" frame of mind.

I actually think Smithy should go after next season too.....not cos I think he's crap tho - but because I think he should get out of all the stress that goes with being a coach - but yeah also because its probably time for a change - 10 yrs is enough winning or losing......that doesn't mean I blame him for trying his guts out to get us somewhere but not getting the magical GF

I get vocal because of the other argument - that some around here don't think he should take ANY blame.

See, I told you we were alike. ;-)

I can categorically say that I have never thought it is ALL SMITHY'S FAULT.
I just get cranky at those who say it isn't.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
I get vocal because of the other argument - that some around here don't think he should take ANY blame.

See, I told you we were alike. ;-)

I can categorically say that I have never thought it is ALL SMITHY'S FAULT.
I just get cranky at those who say it isn't.

Suity

well, any clear thinking person would tell you that the blame is a combination of several people, however as with any organisation the buck stops at the top of the tree and Brian knows that.

strider

Post Whore
well i don't believe there are any people who say he is blameless - they just don't see him as the only reason

no one was questioning anything he had done going into that game - the majority thought we'd likely go all the way....all this is entirely an arguement over "his teams have not done it in the past - hence it is all his fault as he is the one common thing involved - hence he is crap - hence kick his arse".....and I totally disagree with blaming one person

walker smith

Juniors
True EEL said:
well at the risk of being flammed - i don't

i said all off-season and all year that i would give credit to him when credit was due and i dillegently did throughout the season

but yesterday was just unforgivable...........there is no way in the world that should have happened - let alone happen AGAIN

i also said, let's see what he does with these new players, give him the year and see how it goes, well the year was great, but the end of it was another implosion - can we make Rugby League like baseball and bring in "pinch coaches" or a "closer" to coach in finals

he must just say something to them that puts them off - there is no other explanation - how could it keep happening in such games with different players in different years and against different opposition?????

give me an answer to that???

And therein lies the problem....its happened so many times again and again and again with entirely different players!

But i guess at the end of next year he is going anyway so that will do.

Sean7

Juniors
lucablight said:
Strider....if only everybody else was as level headed as you.
We all know it hurts but alot of you people who are whinging and moaning before would have gladly taken a place in the top 8 before and conceded anything more was a bonus. Sean you have only made one thread the entire year and disappeared when we started to go well.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=103507

Where were you then? You had pretty much conceded we wouldn't win the comp and now you're whinging because we didn't. Sure we didn't when he had the best opportunity in a while but to sack the coach over one bad game this year after everything else we accomplished is just wrong.

Sorry, I didn't have a computer for most of the year. I haven't posted very often on any other sites either. I'm living in Shanghai at the moment and after I moved on from my previous employer, I was without a computer. I bought one a few weeks ago, so now I will be more of a regular fixture around here. Just don't get too excited.

You won't see too many new threads from me though, I just tend to post in others. If that is a problem, I'm sure we can work something out that's beneficial for the both of us.

Oh yeah, and my points are still valid.

forward pass

Coach
There is only so much one man can take. I am not sure how BS would even be able to dust himself off and go through all this again for another season.

It must be painful to have to start all over again. But I am sure he would hate to retire without having won at least one !