What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memo to Walker Smith...(And some others)

fish eel

Immortal
walker smith said:
I think thats a fair call...but i do think he tends to turn out teams who are ridiculously wooden and edgy in big games!

Nervous is healthy....a "deer stuck in the headlights" is catastrophic!

Interesting though, in the 1998 preliminary final, I wouldnt have said we were wooden and edgy after 69 minutes.

walker smith

Juniors
fish eel said:
Interesting though, in the 1998 preliminary final, I wouldnt have said we were wooden and edgy after 69 minutes.

thats true, but in the last period we were certainly "deer in the headlights"!

In that game in particular, i think there were some terrible tactical decisions by Smith regarding interchanges in the last fifteen! I just think he has a problem in infusing the team with an energy that can cope with the extreme demands of a sudden death final! When other teams go up a gear, we cant match motors with them...and often this is a lack of preparedness!

Perhaps Brian does not know how to prepare for these extreme situations...his record would say as much!

There is of course the other argument that it is not Brians fault as such but merely bad luck....in which case someone with such repetitive bad luck should probably be jettisoned....surely a forum that espouses a weekly superstitious thread can see the logic in that reasoning!

strider

Post Whore
walker smith said:
Its simple mathematics...he has lost 3 Grand finals as a coach and 4 preliminary finals...and this doesnt include 97 and 02 where his teams departed without a whimper!

OK - so you will count the 4 preliminary finals he lost to his detriment......BUT you'll ignore the 3 preliminary finals he obviously won to get to the 3 grand finals.

And as pointed out 2 of the lost GFs with St George were against arguably the BEST rugby league teams the game as EVER seen.

Sorry dude - but u clearly have an axe to grind and just want to twist crap to fit your own story.....your name wouldn't be Ray would it?

fish eel

Immortal
also saying his 97 side went out without a wimper is very unfair...we got decimated by injuries in that finals series.

walker smith

Juniors
strider said:
OK - so you will count the 4 preliminary finals he lost to his detriment......BUT you'll ignore the 3 preliminary finals he obviously won to get to the 3 grand finals.

And as pointed out 2 of the lost GFs with St George were against arguably the BEST rugby league teams the game as EVER seen.

Sorry dude - but u clearly have an axe to grind and just want to twist crap to fit your own story.....your name wouldn't be Ray would it?

mate i will acknowledge the 3 prelim finals he obviously won, but teh fact is that on each occasion he has not come up with the major prize...and that has been my argument all day! He cant deliver a premiership!

Look at my summary conclusion...i said that in seven years where he has reached a preliminary final, he has never won a comp!

that means seven times he was within striking distance of a comp and couldnt do it!

Thats not twisting facts to suit a story...thats just a bald statement!!

as far as intimating that im ray, well thats an excellent way to refute my argument...your only comparing me to the most hysterical imbecile in teh game in the hope that it will divert attention from the bald statistical truth...which is that despite being in position many a time, Brian has never ever delivered!

I am not doubting his ability to get there as i have said, just his ability to deliver the prize! If it is down to pure bad luck, then there is even more reason to get rid of him, because multiple occurences isnt just regular bad luck...it means there is time to change something!

Perhaps you have a vested interest in keeping smith at the club despite an obvious inability to deliver a premiership....are you brian? ;)

walker smith

Juniors
strider said:
sorry - i don't remember any Brisbane GF team being considered "outsiders" in the 90s

they were outsiders, but it wasnt an overwhelming favouritism for saints.

bisbane came from fifth and saints were the frist team into the grand final and were deserved favourites having beaten brisbane at ANZ right before the finals!

The fact that you dont remember it doesnt mean it wasnt so.

strider

Post Whore
yeah "bald statistics" alright - they've got no hair on them - thats for sure

If you want to evaluate Brian, then look at his record....and in doing so you will see that he has never triumphed on the biggest occasions!

Its simple mathematics...he has lost 3 Grand finals as a coach and 4 preliminary finals...

this is your words genius.....you throw 3 and 4 out there to show he never wins GFs or PFs.....yet in your glee at trying to come up with the big numbers you left out the 3 PFs he won.

for god's sake - no finals game is a certain victory - hence the terms "finals are a whole new ball game" and "if we make it to the finals anything can happen".

why can't you self absorbed fools recognise that even getting that far is a f**king great achievement in itself? ... at the begining of the season no Parra fan realistically gave us a shot at winning the GF - pretty much everyone said they'd be happy with top 4 or top 6 ... why can't you be happy we got where we did? .... cos its all about YOU isn't it - YOU can't handle losing - YOU want your team to be undisputable #1 ALL the time - YOU want to feel the joy of winning a GF - YOU can't take anything less......much like Ray - hence my comparison

strider

Post Whore
walker smith said:
they were outsiders, but it wasnt an overwhelming favouritism for saints.

bisbane came from fifth and saints were the frist team into the grand final and were deserved favourites having beaten brisbane at ANZ right before the finals!

The fact that you dont remember it doesnt mean it wasnt so.

Nth Qld lost by 50 odd to Wests a few weeks ago....you give them no chance to win next weekend?

Brisbane have always be chock full of talent, SOO and international reps - they are never outsiders in any finals.

Kornstar

Coach
I believe i am entitled to be upset after yesterday, i was not one of the people who stood up and walked out with 15 minutes to go, stayed until they walked off the field, i even gave them a clap, i was close to tears but it is not the first time they have done this to me. I have watched all 3 grades all year and am proud of them all but yesterday was not a way to play a prelim, that was a pathetic effort from players and coach, i just hope that next year, as we have the same team, they perform better when it comes to those big games, maybe they can help the coach through the big games now that they have a repore with him and he has the same people and they are more comfortable with each other.

I have not and will not call for Smithy's head, i want him to finish his contract.

In saying all that no matter how much you like Brian Smith you have to admit that he has trouble in big games, although that certainly doesn't take anything away from his acheivements, he has had a successful career and i hope when he leaves our club that he continues to be successful, if he doesn't get a premiership with us i really hope he gets one at another club as he deserves one.

I however would like to see him move on after next year.

CrazyEel

Bench
I agree Kornstar. Smith has one more year to go and then the whole topic will be moot as I do not believe thet will extend his contract again. Smith reminds me very much of Terry Fearnly, good at building a club and getting there but can't quite find that extra edge to complete the job.

Suitman

Post Whore
What I don't understand is why some people get so upset about those who don't think Brian has got what it takes.
I mean, it is Brians record afterall.
And every year without a premiership is more ammunition for these people.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
What I don't understand is that people are so blinded by there passion for removing Brian Smith that they don't even acknowledge any other factors.

People are dead set blaming all of yesterday on the coach....but I saw a bunch of players making silly mistakes and rushing things....I don't want these players removed - they were trying their best - I just think many of them were young and inexperienced and paniced.....thats no ones fault - its just that sh*t happens.

Eelectrica

Referee
I notice the two teams that won this weekend had some former players speak to them before the game. I'm not going to use the word motivational speakers either. The game itself is motivation enough. But whatever simple words Geyer and Tallis said seems to have done the trick.

It was probably nothing more than something along the lines of "Go out there and enjoy the game, take each play as it comes and do your best." Coming from ex players who have earnt respect on the field gets the players attention and tends to be believed and might have helped play a part in the the Cowboys settling into the game first.

I'd like Smith to try bringing maybe Mick Cronin and Ray Price into the sheds to have a few words before a big game should we make it this far again next year. Even if he has to pay them appearance money. Smith has to try something to settle the players down before the game.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
What I don't understand is that people are so blinded by there passion for removing Brian Smith that they don't even acknowledge any other factors.

People are dead set blaming all of yesterday on the coach....but I saw a bunch of players making silly mistakes and rushing things....I don't want these players removed - they were trying their best - I just think many of them were young and inexperienced and paniced.....thats no ones fault - its just that sh*t happens.

Actually, there have been very few people blaming him totally for yesterday, far less than expected.
Even WS has acknowleged the players aren't totally blameless, several times.

But WS is getting fed up with Smith's ongoing record. His tolerance is lower than yours. So what. You both have valid opinions and that is that. I just don't understand why the Smith lovers get so incensed by those who want him to go.
Its not as if they don't have a fair argument these days.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
I notice the two teams that won this weekend had some former players speak to them before the game. I'm not going to use the word motivational speakers either. The game itself is motivation enough. But whatever simple words Geyer and Tallis said seems to have done the trick.

It was probably nothing more than something along the lines of "Go out there and enjoy the game, take each play as it comes and do your best." Coming from ex players who have earnt respect on the field gets the players attention and tends to be believed and might have helped play a part in the the Cowboys settling into the game first.

I'd like Smith to try bringing maybe Mick Cronin and Ray Price into the sheds to have a few words before a big game should we make it this far again next year. Even if he has to pay them appearance money. Smith has to try something to settle the players down before the game.

I agree - I think it'd be great to have people who have been there and done it before talk to the guys.

Latest posts