What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

the phantom menace

First Grade
Apologies if this comes across as a sad article... I found Lane's interest in psychology (given the background of his family and Dad's experiences) and Lane's dedication to active steps that help him chart his own emotions and responses (and hence to be in more control of his positive outcomes) quite uplifting.

These forums do more for my mental health than you know; I've come to love visiting
the forums, to discuss everything, because it doesn't feel like a chore to me.

I'm currently really worried about setting a good example for my son, because I can't show him what true happiness is; I love him more than anything, but I can't set the example of how good life is, because I can't connect with that idea.

I'm proud that I haven't given up hope yet, but I'd be lying if I said my tank wasn't running on fumes.
He’s taking his own journey and I think he needs your wisdom and experience.

Even if to avoid the many mistakes his dad made ( same as me).

All these phoney messages these youngsters get today, bombarded with it, the attention economy.

Impart the good values, be there for him (even if he doesn’t partake), there’s no road map.

Don’t get suckered in to others belief systems.

Once you talk to people, you’d be surprised to find we have a lot more similarities than differences.

That’s the forum at its best too.

I visit other forums, people often have the same issues, fears and concerns you guys do.

There’s those videos about strangers helping strangers, restores a bit of the faith and very positive. People are helping people every day, because they are well brought up.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just watched that video of Blacklock, its sad what happened to his father and how its effected Nathan. 😭

I love the advise he gave, speak to a doctor theyre always there to help.

Its made me pick up the phone and organise an appointment.

I mean I feel ok but there have been days recently where I have worried about the future and feeling really down cause I feel other people's lives are better and often regret a lot of things in life.

I dont want to go down a path where I will completely lose it again :(

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Just watched that video of Blacklock, its sad what happened to his father and how its effected Nathan. 😭

I mean I feel ok but there have been days recently where I have worried about the future and feeling really down cause I feel other people's lives are better and often regret a lot of things in life.

Good on you for taking that step mate.

Yeah, speaking to a doctor is a good idea.

The list of regrets in my life could fill a dumpster!

REM wrote that song about “shiny happy people” as a send up of the model person in the modern world. So much make believe.

And for the bad things I’ve done, take the constructive from the experience, learn and improve. A current bulldogs recruiter told me that trick back in the day. It’s a mantra for many nrl players now.

Its a lot easier to move through this than you may think.

hindy111

Post Whore
As I have gotten older I have realised being to kind and nice can leave you prone to mental health issues and feeling like down. I shake my head at times when I think about how many people I would help out, doing favours for only to never hear from again untill a new favour is needed.

Incorrect

Coach
As I have gotten older I have realised being to kind and nice can leave you prone to mental health issues and feeling like down. I shake my head at times when I think about how many people I would help out, doing favours for only to never hear from again untill a new favour is needed.
This is a big message I am teaching my kids. My missus is the epitome of what you're talking about. She's so damn nice to everyone and bends over backwards to help anyone. We've been f**ked over (not financially or seriously in a personal regard but disappointingly all the same) by people who benefited from her willingness to help out.

Outside of my core group of friends, the best approach is to take a softly softly approach and be as stand off-ish as you need to be...

You can be a good person without falling over yourself to help some random person or acquaintance too much. Have respect for yourself and use your judgement from there...

Yeah I gotta few people in my life like that.

The urgent desperate sizeable cash loan to old mate to get him out of “real trouble” and then after a period of time, one day he rocks up in the brand new car.

“ Nice “ you say …holding in your curses.

hindy111

Post Whore
This is a big message I am teaching my kids. My missus is the epitome of what you're talking about. She's so damn nice to everyone and bends over backwards to help anyone. We've been f**ked over (not financially or seriously in a personal regard but disappointingly all the same) by people who benefited from her willingness to help out.

Outside of my core group of friends, the best approach is to take a softly softly approach and be as stand off-ish as you need to be...

You can be a good person without falling over yourself to help some random person or acquaintance too much. Have respect for yourself and use your judgement from there...

Being tradie its amazing how nice people are when they need a favour. Then when all you feel like is a chat or catch up they are " BUSY "
It can be upsetting but it's life.

Suitman

Post Whore

Very poor grammatical post but I know where you are coming from.
It's amazing also how much I help people out and do stuff for them for nothing, so often. I NEVER expect anything in return.
Yet, when I might maybe need a favour on that very rare occasion, those same people are nowhere to be seen.
It doesn't bother me at all but I do find that type of attitude a bit weird.

hindy111

Post Whore
Very poor grammatical post but I know where you are coming from.
It's amazing also how much I help people out and do stuff for them for nothing, so often. I NEVER expect anything in return.
Yet, when I might maybe need a favour on that very rare occasion, those same people are nowhere to be seen.
It doesn't bother me at all but I do find that type of attitude a bit weird.

It's nice it doesn't bother you. I found it bothered me.

Suitman

Post Whore

I'm much older than you and I sincerely try these days not to let anything bother or upset me.
I've learnt during the years it isn't worth getting stressed about shite I have no control over.
I'm enjoying being so layed backed and more relaxed these days.
I sleep better at night. I deal with others so much better.

I'm actually focussing far more on the things that mean more to me. This probably should be in the Mental Health Thread.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I hear you. I like helping out and deal with a lot of members over the person, email and in person and it feels good when they thank you. However there are people I deal with collegues, friends, others that you want to go the extra mile for them and you feel like you get nothing back. The more this happens the more I lose interest in trying to help out. I mean I'm not asking for much, but I feel like theyre taking advantage of me.

There is the odd occassion where a stranger would be nice enough to buy me a drink, like the one I mentioned, or point me in the right area if I'm lost for directions which is great