What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

King-Gutho94

Coach
Great idea with the mental health thread.

Hopefully everyone gets the support they need and having chats on here helps them get through tough times when they are struggling.

No individual should ever feel like they alone.

Weather it's on here or friends/family in your life there will always be people in your life that will have your back.

Without dragging this into a football discussion I find getting things off my chest especially parra related on what I feel about the team at the time on this forum is actually good for my mental health.

Noise

Coach
I don’t really comment on these kinds of matters because I haven’t had any experience with mental health issues nor am I qualified to give advice. But I will say that this is a pretty good online community we have here. Sure everyone argues / disagrees at times but I don’t think anyone has any ill will towards each other. And let’s face it, following the eels isn’t good for anyone’s mental health. Getting things off your chest here is great fun . Most merkins seem like good dudes you would be happy to have a beer with.

Gordy

Juniors
I am a very frequent reader on this site, but don't normally post. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments and quite often Lol at the shenanigans that are a common highlight throughout the threads.
This new thread has made me want to voice my appreciation for everyone's thoughts, encouragement, empathy and positive vibes towards each other. Keep up the fantastic work all.
And please remember..... you are not alone.

emjaycee

Coach
Over the last few days I think we have all realised the importance of looking after each other and some of the issues related to mental health (thanks Eele).

If you are serious about being there to support each other, can I suggest you act on the "watch" function that exists on the Forums.

1660365686448.png

Rocket man

Juniors
Eele, please don’t beat yourself up about setting a good example for your son. I’m sure you are doing your very best with what you have. He will love you no matter and if you teach him strong values and to try and put good out in to the world, you will have done an amazing job.
As others have said, you are one of the most likeable posters on the forum and I truly enjoy hearing your opinions. I’m sure based on that that he will grow to be an amazing human.
Could not of put it any better,

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Over the last few days I think we have all realised the importance of looking after each other and some of the issues related to mental health (thanks Eele).

If you are serious about being there to support each other, can I suggest you act on the "watch" function that exists on the Forums.

View attachment 64875
Watching.

I work in mental health and have also experienced its effects indirectly within my family. It's a proper bastard and I don't think we can underestimate the benefits of even a small thing like a thread like this. Thanks everyone. I think we've done a pretty great thing.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There’s some people in the cyber world here that I can relate to more than actual people that I interact with daily.

I think it’s because there are no inhibitions which is unusual seeing that I’m an exotic dancer.
Dance Speedo GIF

hindy111

Post Whore
There’s some people in the cyber world here that I can relate to more than actual people that I interact with daily.

I think it’s because there are no inhibitions which is unusual seeing that I’m an exotic dancer.

Likewise. I mean at work half the merkins talk about which Ute's better. Hilux or Ranger.
Does my head in and I want to key them

lingard

Coach
I've worked in mental health for over 40 years. I also have a history of significant trauma as a child. I've struggled with severe depression at various points in my life. About 4 yrs ago my then 18 yr old son got heavily into ecstacy and LSD. He had an extended psychotic episode. At the time it looked like he may have developed schizophrenia. My wife and I were absolutely distraught. I didn't tell her, but I was actively planning suicide. I reckon if I'd had a gun, I may well have shot all three of us. In the end my son gave up drugs and gradually recovered. He's doing well now. At the time I really had no one to talk to about how I wad feeling. (Well, maybe I did, but I'm not the type to go talking about my problems to people. Bit of a closed book there, unfortunately.) Point is, if I had reached out a bit I reckon I could have made my misery a little bit more manageable. There were a number of things that helped me but, even though I never spoke about it here, just chatting on this forum helped distract me a lot, and was one of the things that helped me get through each day. I wasn't my self at all (and may have had a few unnecessary arguments with Pou at the time, I think) but I'm thankful this forum was here. It's a pretty cool place.

hindy111

Post Whore
It's nice to share stories. I feel like I've never been that depressed after reading all these stories.
I feel like there is so much worse off people I could help if my life turned to shit. But also I am pretty loose already and I feel like life's just a big trip. A ride that eventually stops. May as well just chill and let it flow naturally like a river. Let those negative feeling drift pass as they will but try and hold the positive ones. But never resist the flow of the river, its natures way of taking you closer to the end of the ride which ultimately is death.
I've never understood extremely serious people. They kind of shit me and I tend to avoid them.

Gronk

Staff member
I've worked in mental health for over 40 years. I also have a history of significant trauma as a child. I've struggled with severe depression at various points in my life. About 4 yrs ago my then 18 yr old son got heavily into ecstacy and LSD. He had an extended psychotic episode. At the time it looked like he may have developed schizophrenia. My wife and I were absolutely distraught. I didn't tell her, but I was actively planning suicide. I reckon if I'd had a gun, I may well have shot all three of us. In the end my son gave up drugs and gradually recovered. He's doing well now. At the time I really had no one to talk to about how I wad feeling. (Well, maybe I did, but I'm not the type to go talking about my problems to people. Bit of a closed book there, unfortunately.) Point is, if I had reached out a bit I reckon I could have made my misery a little bit more manageable. There were a number of things that helped me but, even though I never spoke about it here, just chatting on this forum helped distract me a lot, and was one of the things that helped me get through each day. I wasn't my self at all (and may have had a few unnecessary arguments with Pou at the time, I think) but I'm thankful this forum was here. It's a pretty cool place.
Thanks for being honest mate. You said something that would hit home for anyone who has found themselves at a low point. Speaking out is important and having a safe nonjudgmental place to do it is needed.

Support for a mate should never be about problem solving. It’s about being there to listen and be there when needed.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Mate, I speak for us all when I say we're glad you came through the other side. A work in progress no doubt but hey, the support you need is here whenever you need it.

Wally21

Bench
Thank you for sharing your story Lingard. I can’t imagine what you went through but i am so glad that your boy is doing better. All the very best my friend

eels_fan

First Grade
I feel like I've never been that depressed after reading all these stories.
That’s a common thread amongst men - I can’t/shouldn’t be depressed as all these other people have it worse than me and they seem fine.

depression is deeply personal. You can’t use others situations/triggers/responses/outcomes as a yardstick for how you should feel. Never let someone else’s experiences minimise your feelings, as they are your realty