What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Suitman

Post Whore
just got the phone call, grateful that I got to see him yesterday

So sorry to hear that mate.
As others have said, just remember the good times. It's ok to openly grieve.

It's 18 months since my dad passed away. He died suddenly from his 3rd stroke in Jan 2023 but wasn't really in good health at the time.
On the night he passed in the nursing home, I thought it best to go and comfort mum and stay the night with her.
When I arrived there and pressed the button for the lift to go up to her room, the lift doors opened and in the lift were the undertakers taking dad away. I put my hand on his forehead and then completely lost it. I just went and sat on a lounge in the foyer balling my eyes out. It was midnight on a Sunday night. A night nurse saw me and made me a cup of tea, and informed me that my sister had already been there to pick mum up and take her back to her place, which I didn't know at that stage. So, I went back home.
That was my last interaction with my dad but not my lasting one, although that visual still upsets me to this day. There was 58 years of my life, of his 89 years of life that I will remember most, and I will forever be grateful for the influence he played in me being the person I am today.

I got to visit dad 24 hrs before he passed. A normal weekend visit. At that stage, little did I know what was about to unfold. I didn't get to say goodbye but that is ok. The situation was beyond my control.

99 years is a good innings mate. Celebrate the memories of your dad and focus on the positives and happy times.

Once again though, condolences to you and your family.