What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I recently bumped into a mate who is posted to a particular military unit in Holsworthy. This particular unit has a selection requirement that candidates must pass in order to serve with the unit. The selection course tests applicants physically, but ultimately they are looking for mental traits - resilience under pressure, determination, etc.

Anyway, back when the Eels had their toughest pre-season ever, they were involved in this boot camp and a few lucky members of the unit were involved in putting the Eels through their paces.

My mate was very unimpressed. These were the first NRL players he'd ever been involved with, and he said that while they were physically superior individuals, the entire squad was mentally weak as piss with three or four exceptions. The only one of those exceptions that he recognised was Nathan Hindmarsh, although he's not much of an NRL fan. Anyway, Hindy was awesome but that should come as no surprise.

I kept it to myself because the Eels are footy players, not special forces soldiers. They should only need to perform over 80 minutes.

Then I saw my mate about a month ago, somewhere in the Middle East. He asked about the Eels and I told him they're gash. Then he remarked that he helped put Souths through the same boot camp last year and they were on a different level to the Eels. He said it changed his opinion of NRL players, and showed why the Eels were so shit so often.

And that made me sad.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We are a mentally weak club with a shit culture and have been for a long time, as soon as someone applies a blowtorch to us we roll over and piss ourselves.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We are f**king soft and have been for a long time.

Mind you I reckon a certain G.Gutful would start to tear up at one of these bootcamps if he had to go 48 hours without Tooheys New.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Why would anyone be surprised that someone is mentally strong but not capable of being a leader? They are two very different attributes in my opinion.

Springs

First Grade
No surprise. Hindy was often the only one to keep trying. Tim Mannah is just about the only one now. The squad as a whole is pissweak mentally and have no pride in themselves or the jersey. I for one can't stand watching Sandow miss tackle after tackle and play like shit yet when we win one game and he kicks a pointless field goal he celebrates as if he's won the GF.

84 Baby

Referee
You saw your mate somewhere in the Middle East? f**k Pou, what were you doing over in that hole??
My contact in the CIA sent me a photo of him meeting his soldier buddy

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs does advise you take caution when meeting Pou. 4 RPGs strapped to your back should cover it

Gronk

Staff member
I recently bumped into a mate who is posted to a particular military unit in Holsworthy. This particular unit has a selection requirement that candidates must pass in order to serve with the unit. The selection course tests applicants physically, but ultimately they are looking for mental traits - resilience under pressure, determination, etc.

Anyway, back when the Eels had their toughest pre-season ever, they were involved in this boot camp and a few lucky members of the unit were involved in putting the Eels through their paces.

My mate was very unimpressed. These were the first NRL players he'd ever been involved with, and he said that while they were physically superior individuals, the entire squad was mentally weak as piss with three or four exceptions. The only one of those exceptions that he recognised was Nathan Hindmarsh, although he's not much of an NRL fan. Anyway, Hindy was awesome but that should come as no surprise.

I kept it to myself because the Eels are footy players, not special forces soldiers. They should only need to perform over 80 minutes.

Then I saw my mate about a month ago, somewhere in the Middle East. He asked about the Eels and I told him they're gash. Then he remarked that he helped put Souths through the same boot camp last year and they were on a different level to the Eels. He said it changed his opinion of NRL players, and showed why the Eels were so shit so often.

And that made me sad.

I know the Mind Coach who is employed by a certain NRL team. He also is employed by swimmers and other athletes.

I wonder if we have a shrink ? We sure need one after the Kearney days. :crazy: