What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, because we all just know that link is clearly logical and evidence based.

Leaving aside all the evidence that a person's physical fitness is strongly linked to their mental health, and the fact that the brain is a physical organ, special forces selection is developed scientifically (doctors, psychologists, sports scientists, the lot) to choose the right applicants.

That's why professional sporting coaches use versions of it to gauge the ability of their squads when taking over a new club, as we've seen with Kearney and Maguire.

Pity he was such a poor leader in your eyes, despite his mental strength.

Pity the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Me too. We clearly picked the wrong Storm assistant coach - Kearney instead of Maguire.

This was at the very start of both coaches' tenure. Indicating the type of squads they both inherited.

Looks like Kearney wasn't able to effect any change in his squad, while Maguire hasn't had to.

Gives some indication as to the importance of internal scouting and recruitment though. Signing proven first graders means you don't get to observe your new recruit until he's already in the NRL squad. However bringing kids through the academy lets you know what kind of character he has long before he's in the NRL team or signed to a long expensive contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think we would have had a better chance with Folau as well. It seemed that for all money he was coming and I reckon that Kearney getting sacked had a lot to do with him changing his mind. After all who wants to come to a club that displays zero stability?

Exactly. If we're a basket case it's because we're onto our sixth coach in eight years.

Trying to lump it all onto the coaches that were left holding the baby is disingenuous. Plus anyone with a personal grudge against 3P will want to put it all onto the two coaches signed by them.

That wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to know who the other strong performers were. I reckon Reni would have been a good chance.

Reni wasn't allowed to train with the club in December 2010.

With the full support of the board who knows what Kearney could have been by now? If Kearney went to a club like Souths and Maguire came to Parramatta my guess is that many people would have very different opinions of both of them now.

Anyhow - fire away Kearney haters:D

I think our performances this year have proven that Kearney is no worse a coach than premiership winner Ricky Stuart. I reckon everyone has accepted that.

But they will still put shit on Kearney because I was so vocal about giving him time to change this club, and so the Kearney haters are really having a dig at me.

And as I've said before, if the stupid majority disagree with me then that's all the confirmation I need. I'm a smart bloke and an independent thinker, much like yourself Tony.

These other merkins are just small minded trolls. They come here to put the boot in because they've got nothing else going on. They don't really give a f**k about Kearney just like he doesn't give a f**k about them.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Most of the guys from late 2010 (the time of that boot camp) are no longer at the club.

But some of them certainly still are and I was miffed that a couple of them were re-signed last year. Maybe there was nobody better to replace them with, but more likely Kearney was no longer in control of player retention considering Sticky's arrival was the NRL's worst-kept secret.

That would have been why Ryan Hinchcliffe pulled out of signing with us. Kearney had no trouble attracting players in 2011 then last year rumours surface about him getting the arse and suddenly we can't sign any players.

Yeah that'd be it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I will agree with Pou Pou on that front. I personally don't think Stuart is much better than Kearney. There are a lot of better NRL coaches than those two.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If Kearney went to a club like Souths and Maguire came to Parramatta my guess is that many people would have very different opinions of both of them now.

Anyhow - fire away Kearney haters:D

Agree with this. Maguire has a much easier gig at Souths than Kearney had at the eels.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Kearney in my opinion may have taken to much on board for a rookie coach - as has been mentioned hagan and Anderson didnt focus on our junior system as much as they shoujd have. As reported Kearneys five year plan was to fix this problem (which this year being the third year of that plan and look at how juniors we have debuted ) - but maybe implementing this structure/plan was to big a task as Kearney was spread to thin across the junior restruct and nrl coaching. Don't forget Kearney didnt really have any real experience assistant coaches (which may have been his fault ) to help with his work load. Would have liked Kearney to have had ex nrl coach as an assistant.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Exactly. If we're a basket case it's because we're onto our sixth coach in eight years.

Trying to lump it all onto the coaches that were left holding the baby is disingenuous. Plus anyone with a personal grudge against 3P will want to put it all onto the two coaches signed by them.

Reni wasn't allowed to train with the club in December 2010.

I think our performances this year have proven that Kearney is no worse a coach than premiership winner Ricky Stuart. I reckon everyone has accepted that.

But they will still put shit on Kearney because I was so vocal about giving him time to change this club, and so the Kearney haters are really having a dig at me.

And as I've said before, if the stupid majority disagree with me then that's all the confirmation I need. I'm a smart bloke and an independent thinker, much like yourself Tony.

These other merkins are just small minded trolls. They come here to put the boot in because they've got nothing else going on. They don't really give a f**k about Kearney just like he doesn't give a f**k about them.

Yeah I forgot about that. It must have been Eric Grothe Junior then. :sarcasm:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Kearney in my opinion may have taken to much on board for a rookie coach - as has been mentioned hagan and Anderson didnt focus on our junior system as much as they shoujd have. As reported Kearneys five year plan was to fix this problem (which this year being the third year of that plan and look at how juniors we have debuted ) - but maybe implementing this structure/plan was to big a task as Kearney was spread to thin across the junior restruct and nrl coaching. Don't forget Kearney didnt really have any real experience assistant coaches (which may have been his fault ) to help with his work load. Would have liked Kearney to have had ex nrl coach as an assistant.

Yep. He was the wrong candidate because of his inexperience, but trying to fix Hagan's f**kups would take time - especially because Anderson also ignored those issues.

Kearney took on more than he could handle, but the guy that really started the rot was Michael f**king Hagan. He's almost as bad as Conrad Murray.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yes it's everyone elses fault that Kearney is the worst coach we've ever had. He should have been given at least 5 years to make a go of it.

EelsFan05

Bench
Yes it's everyone elses fault that Kearney is the worst coach we've ever had. He should have been given at least 5 years to make a go of it.

Hagan was our Langmack... Oh wait Kearneys record was worse. Tooks Souths almost a decade to recover from that f**k up.

born an eel

Bench
don't need 5 years, Anderson f**ked the junior development but kearney fixed it in 2 years, look at the juniors debuting now

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yep. He was the wrong candidate because of his inexperience, but trying to fix Hagan's f**kups would take time - especially because Anderson also ignored those issues.

Kearney took on more than he could handle, but the guy that really started the rot was Michael f**king Hagan. He's almost as bad as Conrad Murray.

I sometimes dream of what could have been, if we had chosen Taylor instead of hagan.

Trent Robinson gave him a rap the other day in an interview.

Latest posts