What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

Y2Eel

First Grade
sunshine, sit back and have a bit of a think through your logic...

lets take the example of bhp billiton and two start up companies that merge (we'll call them company a & company b).. both merge and list on the same day..

bhp share price (Example): $10
Billiton share price: $10

bhp billiton share price: $15

company a share price: $1
company b share price: $1

company ab share price: $1.50

so, softie, riddle me this... both bhpbilliton and company ab are both new companies, both starting on the same day, and using your methodology will both have had "their assets valued as a new company"..

why is it that bhpbilliton, with it's tradition and heritage and strong assets, have a higher share price than the start up..?

come on.. think it through... (the answer is just there above..)

that's right.. the market would incorporate the history and assets of the new company into the share price, hence bringing forward their previous success...

naturally, this won't happen for a start up company as there are no assets to value... and if you think that there could be, i'm assuming you probably lost a lot of money investing in one.tel didn't you..?

it's okay to admit you were wrong.. you gave it a shot and i'm proud of you for that...

What?:?::

20knights10

Juniors
A bit more from the Dragons site....

1999 … Finals Finish, But No Fairytale
Coach Waite was right and the Dragons were leaders in their first season as a joint venture club … ALMOST claiming a fairytale finish to make the foundation year even more special.
They won 15 games and lost 10 in the regular season to finish sixth from 17 teams and grab a Finals Series berth. Three straight wins took them to the Grand Final against the Storm in front of a world rugby league record crowd of 107,558 at Stadium Australia, Homebush (breaking the record set at their inaugural game in March).
The Dragons led 14-0 at the break and a fairytale of a maiden title in their first year seemed destined to come true; but the Storm recovered from their poor start and went into the final minutes of the game with the Dragons leading by just 18-14.
The Dragons were forced to perform a drop kick from their own goal line, and on the fifth tackle Brett Kimmorley kicked high towards the Dragons corner of the field. As the Storm's winger caught the ball over the try-line he was knocked unconscious in a tackle by Jamie Ainscough and lost the ball. Referee Bill Harrigan deferred to the video referee who ruled a penalty try on the grounds that contact had been made with the head, giving Melbourne a 20-18 lead and the premiership title.
For the Dragons, this match was a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions after a thrilling debut season.

Debut season..?? How could you possibly have 15 premierships already under your belt in your debut season?

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=stgeorge-illawarra

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good to see you back antilurg.
Deliberately misquoting someone is pretty desperate Muzby.
Speaking of which...
Even Gasnier concedes 2010 is the first premiership for St George - Illawarra..
I asked earlier for you to show evidence of this. I suspect you now know that Gasnier never said anything of the sort. You just read a lie from baroness and took it as gospel.

Here's your chance for redemption ANTiDUDE, a simple retraction and you won't be on the same level as baron vo bullsh*tter.

20knights10

Juniors
and just to head you off at the pass willow, I'm perusing the dragon's official web pages looking for evidence of this debate about entering this year as the official 16th premiership win for the team.... I've found nothing... are you being completely truthful?

SoftSydney

Juniors
sorry.....

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=st-george

it was taken from this page of the official dragons site...

hmmm gee I think it says first season 1999 for STGI, hmmm cant see 15+1 but I can see that the new club STGI says and I quote " This match bought down the curtain on 78 seasons of stand alone competition as the St George Dragons"

In 1998, Saints were eliminated from the competition in the first semi-final played at Kogarah Jubilee Oval. This match bought down the curtain on 78 seasons of stand alone competition as the St George Dragons became the St George Illawarra Dragons for the 1999 season.
The opening for the St George Illawarra Dragons’ first season in 1999 saw the Dragons take on Parramatta at the christening of Sydney’s Olympic Stadium in front of over 104,000 fans. Backrower Darren Treacy was the first try scorer for the new club, but the first victory did not come until round three in Canberra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
20knights10, the Dragons NRL website is under the NRL banner, and as such follows NRL directives. It was different in the past.

A better idea of the club's viewpoint can be found in the current Leagues Club Journal.

STG-LC-Journal-2010_02_400x.jpg

More: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=373188

Do we have to labotomise or put Dragons fans into shock therapy or are they having the greatest Gee up of all time at our expense?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good to see you back antilurg.Speaking of which...I asked earlier for you to show evidence of this. I suspect you now know that Gasnier never said anything of the sort. You just read a lie from baroness and took it as gospel.

Here's your chance for redemption ANTiDUDE, a simple retraction and you won't be on the same level as baron vo bullsh*tter.

Taking a leaf out of Muzby's book...

Muzby said:
Mark Gasnier told me he knows its St George Illawarra's maiden premiership. If they had won in '99 it would be their second.

Haha. But seriously;

1 + 0 does not equal 16 even in Koogara. Is Gas as bad at maths as you guys? I'd prefer to give him benefit of the doubt. Clearly you guys are beyond hope. But Gaz has to be good at maths with his back ended contract. I am sure "Fire Up B(tch" can add to ONE.

Last edited:

20knights10

Juniors
20knights10, the Dragons NRL website is under the NRL banner, and as such follows NRL directives. It was different in the past.

A better idea of the club's viewpoint can be found in the current Leagues Club Journal.

STG-LC-Journal-2010_02_400x.jpg

More: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=373188
Does the Leagues Club Journal have a web site. I don't see how directing me to a forum on this site dedicated to dragons fans could be considered evidence that a formal debate is in progress between dragons establishment and NRL statiticians.. It's pretty damn obvious how dragons fans feel, the debate is how valid or logical their feelings are...

Also, what makes the official StGI website invalid? Are you saying that there is an NRL directive not to dispute the claim that this is their maiden premiership?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The St. George Illawarra Dragons beat the Sydney Roosters 32-8 to win their first National Rugby League title since entering Australia’s elite rugby league competition as a joint venture.

Jason Nightingale got two tries as the Dragons, who trailed 8-6 at halftime, outscored the Roosters by five tries to two last night in front of a crowd of 82,334 at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium. Dragons stand-off Jamie Soward added 12 points with the boot.

The Dragons, who split operations between Sydney and Wollongong, claimed their first premiership 11 years after joining the NRL following a merger of the St. George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers. St. George [the defunct club that was merged for those with comprehension issues] had won the competition’s forerunner 15 times, its last victory coming in 1979.

“It’s been a long time coming but we’ve got there,” Dragons captain Ben Hornby told the Nine Network. “We worked so hard for this.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-03/dragons-beat-roosters-32-8-to-win-australia-s-national-rugby-league-title.html

You joined NRL in 1999. You have are younger than the Melbourne Storm. You are a newbie club. A well performing newbie club, but newbie nevertheless. The Cowboys are older than you, the Warriors and Newcastle are older than you, Brisabane is older, Canberra is older.... You are babes. But you are champions. Enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts