What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

20knights10

Juniors
Don't worry wallow, I found it....

http://editions.magsbyme.com/ebook/ebook.php?id=10011474#/0

I found the article where there is claim of this being a 16th premiership.. what I didn't find was anything regarding a debate to decide if it should officially be recorded as the dragons 16th premiership. I also note that not once does the chairman make that claim.... He certainly calls it the end of a 31 year drought, but doesn't go as far as to say it's the 16th premiership..!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm interested in seeing where the official debate stands.... I've been unable to find evidence that an official debate exists outside of Dragon's fans opinions....
I'd very much like to see one.

Unfortunately it's impossible to conduct a proper one here.

I've seen emails that have been sent to the NRL, the response (usually from John Brady) is pretty dismissive.

The club has made various approaches to the NRL to fix this. To date, it hasn't gone to the next level. It is my view that the club should do more, but these things usually require someone with the time and energy to be instrumental in bringing it all together. We had one such football club director some years ago, he listened to everyone and made things happen. But tragically he passed away well before his time.

Look, I think when the traditions of the game start to erode, we all lose something.

I was brought up on the Sydney comp and respect the clubs that formed the backbone to the greatest game in Australia - and in the world.

When Souths won their battle and starting competing again, I thought it was a victory for tradition. When 'the Sydney Bulldogs' changed back to being called Canterbury Bankstown, I thought it was great. In fact, I never stopped calling them Canterbury. Same with Manly, Menzies is always a one club player to me. The list goes on.

When Canterbury play Saints, do we think the clubs have only been playing each other over the last decade? The same with Souths. How can you explain the passion and rivalry that is so deeply ingrained in the opposing supporter bases?

The great Sydney clubs of the NSWRL may be playing in a different national competition, but to me they are still the first grade, and I congratulate the NRL on maintaining the continuation of that history. But that's where their flexibility seems to end. It seems they have a dilemna with "what to do with St George". They've gone for the easy option while other competitions have been more flexible.

As for these silly discussions. Well I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard and read that we have been 'chokers since 1979'. Now that that's in the dustbin, we are expected to accept to some new tripe about it being premiership #1.

The point is, this type of sledging doesn't spring up overnight. It was born out of the old tribal rivalry of the Sydney comp. For some of us, it is in our blood. For some others, it was handed down from our parents. Quite frankly, I'm pleased to see that it is still alive and well. And tradition - in a strange way - is still being observed and respected. If only the sore losers could admit to it.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
If you're stooping to logical fallacies like argumet from majority view, then you've obviously realised logical argument is not going to get you anywhere.

Edit: that was directed at moffo.

Oh, and nice pointing of the barrel at the foot and firing by antiflog, claiming SGDRLFC no longer exist.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I also note that not once does the chairman make that claim.... He certainly calls it the end of a 31 year drought, but doesn't go as far as to say it's the 16th premiership..!!
I mentioned this earlier for you (see below).

Although you have misquoted him, he says "premiership drought".

The Club Chairman is quoted as saying "the rain literally came down on ANZ Stadium, washing away a 31 year premiership drought"
(Page 6)

FYI, This is 2010. 31 years is prior to 1999.

Just in case you didn't know.

Again, am I correct in assuming that you are interested gathering information about the club's viewpoint? Or do you have some other agenda?

STG-LC-Journal-2010_02_400x.jpg

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow -

Menzies played for two different clubs.
I'm aware of all the stats and I have been a visitor to *Paul*'s site for more years than I recall. We've had some debates too.

You miss the point. Ask a few Manly supporters for their view. Most of those on these forums seem to think he is a one club player. I'm saying that I don't dispute their right to that view.

So take it up with them.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
St. George Premierships: 1941, 1949, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1977, 1979, 2010.

Illawarra Premierships: 2010.

St. George-Illawarra Premiereships: 2010

Not as stupid as claiming 3 premierships were won in 2010. 2 of which went to defunct entitites no less.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm aware of all the stats and I have been a visitor to *Paul*'s site for more years than I recall. We've had some debates too.

You miss the point. Ask a few Manly supporters for their view. Most of those on these forums seem to think he is a one club player. I'm saying that I don't dispute their right to that view.

So take it up with them.

Well that view is incredibly disrectful to the Northern Eagles and shamefully arrogant, not to mention, quite clearly, wrong.

Do you agree with what happened to the Bears willow? Is that what you see happening to Illawarra? Are you a silver tail?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Taking a leaf out of Muzby's book...
Knowing muzby, it would be tongue-in-cheek, and over your head. If true. Where did he post this?

ANTiLAG said:
Haha. But seriously;
Indeed.

ANTiLAG said:
1 + 0 does not equal 16 even in Koogara. Is Gas as bad at maths as you guys? I'd prefer to give him benefit of the doubt. Clearly you guys are beyond hope. But Gaz has to be good at maths with his back ended contract. I am sure "Fire Up B(tch" can add to ONE.
That's you being serious?

How about this...

What do you think of the baroness fabricating a statement from Mark Gasnier?

It's alright, you're allowed to be honest. The bullsh*tter would bitch about you if given half a chance.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well that view is incredibly disrectful to the Northern Eagles and shamefully arrogant, not to mention, quite clearly, wrong.
Don't cry to me about it. Take it up with Manly supporters.

The Northern Eagles were hardly a match made in heaven.

And send an angry email to the NRL news service (AAP) while you're at it.

[Menzies] is the most prolific tryscoring forward in the history of Australia's NRL, with 180 touchdowns in 349 appearances during 16 seasons with Manly.

http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/LatestNews/NewsArticle/tabid/10874/newsId/60375/Default.aspx

ANTiLAG said:
Do you agree with what happened to the Bears willow?
I'd love to see them back in the comp. Told you, I respect the tradition. The Northern Eagles was clearly a mess.
ANTiLAG said:
Is that what you see happening to Illawarra?
No.
ANTiLAG said:
Are you a silver tail?
No.

Now my turn...

Which NRL team do you support?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Knowing muzby, it would be tongue-in-cheek, and over your head. If true. Where did he post this?

Err, in this thread dummie. Where else would he have? By tongue in cheek and over my head we're referring to him deliberatly quoting me, editing what I've said to something completely different, then passing comment, right? Now what exactly did the Baron do so differently... you sure it wasn't just tongue in cheek and over your head?

Indeed. That's you being serious?
How about this... What do you think of the baroness fabricating a statement from Mark Gasnier? It's alright, you're allowed to be honest. The bullsh*tter would bitch about you if given half a chance.

Mate, I find it hilarious you raced out and purchased that magazine. I really do. After yours and Muz's behaviour you have the audacity to question the moral compass of the Baron?

You're dreaming dummie.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Which NRL team do you support?

How is this remotely relevant to STGI winning its first premiership?

Now if you think Menzies is a one club player - you're effectively denying there was ever a merger between Manly and Norths and that Manly just consumed Norths...

Are you denying there was a merger between ST George and Illawarra?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Err, in this thread dummie. Where else would he have? By tongue in cheek and over my head we're referring to him deliberatly quoting me, editing what I've said to something completely different, then passing comment, right? Now what exactly did the Baron do so differently... you sure it wasn't just tongue in cheek and over your head?
Mate, I find it hilarious you raced out and purchased that magazine. I really do. After yours and Muz's behaviour you have the audacity to question the moral compass of the Baron?

You're dreaming dummie.
Haha! Nice little tantrum.

I know I'm getting under your skin when you start repeating lame insults.

It's like turning on a tap, and turning it off at will.

I get league magazines every week and every month antiuberlube. Perhaps in the backwoods of your hamlet there are no newsagents and the postman takes a little longer.

We like to keep informed over here.

I note you avoided the questions. It seems you support misquotes and misrepresenting players.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Baroness's moral compass said:
How is this remotely relevant
About as relevant as you asking me if I'm a Silvertail.

I gave a straight answer. What are you afraid of?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha! Nice little tantrum.

I know I'm getting under your skin when you start repeating lame insults.
What lame insult dummie? Dummie is my nick name for you. Someone else calls you wallow.

It's like turning on a tap, and turning it off at will.
Mate, you went out and bought a magazine based on a claim by poster here. Who's getting wound up?

I get league magazines every week and every month antiuberlube. Perhaps in the backwoods of your hamlet there are no newsagents and the postman takes a little longer.
But this week you went out and bought the issue in question, right?

We like to keep informed over here.
Well save your magazine subscription and get a newspaper instead. Try a global news channel.

I note you avoided the questions. It seems you support misquotes and misrepresenting players.
You took silence as acquiesence? That was wrong to assume. Mother of all f()ckups.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
About as relevant as you asking me if I'm a Silvertail.
I gave a straight answer.
Do you normally give bent answers?

What are you afraid of?
My gf's selection of entertainment. Some of the foreign sub title arts films are okay but its always a risk and generally they're not. You know I had to sit through a 2 hour film on the architecture of one house once. Wasn't even a big house. Another time she took me to some foreign arts film - where allt he characters used the same dialogue. And then the conclusion was anti climatic to boot. Terrible.

Latest posts