What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Only 2 members in Bolzer??? Hmmmm, interesting. Probably limits what they can do sonically, I reckon they should at least get someone playing bass for them to give them a more fuller sound. Would like to see more of their live stuff.

If they wanted a bassist they'd have one, apparently it started off as a case of necessity because they couldn't find someone suitable but they started enjoying the challenge of playing and writing as a two piece and no doubt it makes touring easier too. Okoi Jones (the singer/guitarist) plays a huge ten string baritone custom built guitar too which give him a way bigger sound than any normal guitarist.(different guitar to the one in the video above which is his old guitar, an original 70s ten string BC Rich)

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If you want your mind blown, listen to Panteras real early shit if you can find it (the independant label stuff). And I mean mind blown in not a good way........ Very hard to get original vinyl but its out there in net-land.

images

Christ, I feel old talking about this shit!

Someone's got the full set for sale on vinyl on a FB group I'm on, 50-150 euro each!

adamkungl

Immortal
Max Watts (the old Hi-Fi bar) must be the worst venue in Sydney, the horrible sound in the place did its best to ruin what was otherwise an amazing show last night.

Yep heard way too many shitty sound mixes at MW/Hifi to blame it on individual bands.
And it's a completely flat floor with no tiers, which for a short merkin like me is another negative. Compare to Manning, Factory, and Metro for examples of tiered floors.

Least favourite venue in Sydney by far

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep heard way too many shitty sound mixes at MW/Hifi to blame it on individual bands.
And it's a completely flat floor with no tiers, which for a short merkin like me is another negative. Compare to Manning, Factory, and Metro for examples of tiered floors.

Least favourite venue in Sydney by far

The flat floor is a large part of why it sounds horrible too IMO. its a square concrete box with all the walls/floors ceilings parallel to each other so it reverberates like hell. The Factory and Metro are light years better, as is the Manning provided the flat lower floor area is filled up with a crowd (when its half empty it has a similar problem, which means opening bands often sound like shit)

adamkungl

Immortal
Aus Day coming up..
Hottest 100
Ozzest 100
Cory Bernadi 100

boring

Anyone putting together a Metal 100 for the weekend? (to listen to alone in your car coz your merkin mates want to listen to beige hipster rubbish)

Vic Mackey

Referee
re: that slayer lineup is like the super lineup of metal bands I never really listened to

Hahaa gold

LOG are one band I really tried to like but just couldn’t. Redneck was a good song but I found all their shit sounded the same.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hahaa gold

LOG are one band I really tried to like but just couldn’t. Redneck was a good song but I found all their shit sounded the same.

It's interesting that you like what most LOG fans (myself included) consider to be LOG's weakest song.

Not having a go - just find it curious.

adamkungl

Immortal
LOG are pretty good. Peaked with Ashes of the Wake.
One of those bands that can put out some killer material at their best but the rest is unmemorable filler.

Slayer might be the weakest band on that lineup tbh.

beave

Coach
Yeah Redneck has always been percieved by LOG fans as their ‘sell out’ song. It took me a long time to appreciate their stuff. I am not a fan of their guitar tone at all but they have written some sweet riffs though.

I haven’t seen Behemoth live before, I pray they bring this tour to Oz

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Slayer died with Jeff Hanneman IMO. Plus they haven't released a good album in decades,.Probably still ok live though I guess, not that hard when your first 5 albums are stone cold classics. Rest of that lineup is definitely in the "bands I don;t really care about" class, although Anthrax was the first real metal band I ever saw live (1990 I think). Time hasn;t been kind to them though, they'd have been headlining that bill 25 years ago, not playing below LOG.

beave

Coach
Yeah Hanneman IMO wrote the better songs, well at least when I’d see his name on the credits of each song on the cd’s as a young-un, they were always the ones I was more into.

the way they treated Lombardo, obviously not being involved in the band but hearing his side of the story in a video when he got kicked out the last time didn’t paint Kerry or Tom in a very good light. Basically he earnt $50k the whole year as a drummer for Slayer and he wanted to see where all the $$ was going (management, promoters, roadies etc etc) and the other 2 got a bee in there bonnet and told him don’t bother turning up for practice for Soundwave (they were a week from coming out to Oz)Pretty f**king harsh IMO but there could be more to it but from all the interviews and shit I have seen over 25 years of them, Kerry comes across as a complete f**kwit so I reckon Lombardos version is probably on the money.

Lombardos band he was in during the mid 90’s during the first departure from Slayer (Grip Inc.) are f**king real good. The singer is dead now but they were criminally under rated. This song gave me goosebumps when I first heard it in 1995

Spacey check out Behemoth mate if you haven’t already. someone in here put me on to them and I rate them deluxe.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Not metal but saw Fooeys last night in Brissy.

Rock royalty, that’s about all I can say, amazing band.