What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

beave

Coach

I don’t think cradle get enough love :)

I got into them back in 94 when ‘The Principles of Evil Made Flesh’ first came out (my mate made a mix tape for me and ‘the forest whispers my name’ was on it) and I was hooked. Took me a while to actually find that album anywherre, finally picked it up at Utopia when it was next to Hungry Jacka on George St for I think $40?? Which was insanely expensive at the time but totally worth it. I bought it just before going to a Deicide all ages concert at the old Phonecian Club so I couldn’t get in the mosh for fear of damaging my newest prize possession...... they’ve released so many albums, I’ve lost track of them after Nymphetmine. I don’t mind Dani’s newer band ‘Devilment’, they are a bit more mainstream.

f**k I feel old now though.......

Vic Mackey

Referee
I got into them back in 94 when ‘The Principles of Evil Made Flesh’ first came out (my mate made a mix tape for me and ‘the forest whispers my name’ was on it) and I was hooked. Took me a while to actually find that album anywherre, finally picked it up at Utopia when it was next to Hungry Jacka on George St for I think $40?? Which was insanely expensive at the time but totally worth it. I bought it just before going to a Deicide all ages concert at the old Phonecian Club so I couldn’t get in the mosh for fear of damaging my newest prize possession...... they’ve released so many albums, I’ve lost track of them after Nymphetmine. I don’t mind Dani’s newer band ‘Devilment’, they are a bit more mainstream.

Seriously how f*#king expensive did CDs used to be? Worst of all when you wanted one that was hard to get. I remember ordering Sevendusts first album from Soundgarden at Hurstville, took 3 weeks to get here and cost about $37. For a 16 year old who was making like $6ph at Franklins it was a shitload. I hadn’t even heard a song by them either, just heard they were good.

I sound like an old man but kids these days have it so easy...

beave

Coach
Seriously how f*#king expensive did CDs used to be? Worst of all when you wanted one that was hard to get. I remember ordering Sevendusts first album from Soundgarden at Hurstville, took 3 weeks to get here and cost about $37. For a 16 year old who was making like $6ph at Franklins it was a shitload. I hadn’t even heard a song by them either, just heard they were good.

I sound like an old man but kids these days have it so easy...

Yep, i’m hearing you mate. In the early 2k’s it was cheaper to buy cd’s from the states from
Amazon even with the international postage. I have about 750-800cd’s in my garage, I have NFI what to do with them. Some are not available on apple music or spotto so I don’t really want to just throw them all out. I have some rare-ish stuff as well, an original Metallica ‘garage days’ and Pungent Stenchs ‘Club Mondo Bizzarro’ which had pretty nasty inlay cover which made it banned in oz.......

JB made the price of cd’s much more affordable but it’s all in vain, streaming has killed physical purchases of music. A few bands are fighting it *cough* tool *cough* but they are all conformimg it seems.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yep, i’m hearing you mate. In the early 2k’s it was cheaper to buy cd’s from the states from
Amazon even with the international postage. I have about 750-800cd’s in my garage, I have NFI what to do with them. Some are not available on apple music or spotto so I don’t really want to just throw them all out. I have some rare-ish stuff as well, an original Metallica ‘garage days’ and Pungent Stenchs ‘Club Mondo Bizzarro’ which had pretty nasty inlay cover which made it banned in oz.......

JB made the price of cd’s much more affordable but it’s all in vain, streaming has killed physical purchases of music. A few bands are fighting it *cough* tool *cough* but they are all conformimg it seems.

Its crazy isnt it, thats approx $22k on cds! If you bought most of them in the 90s a quick inflation check has that around $34k in todays money. $30 itself is about $45, imagine if you still had to pay $45 for an album these days? Its impossible to fathom yet back then we did it without question.

Whilst music is so much easier and cheaper to access I do miss the excitment of going to HMV, Sanity etc and getting your favourite bands new CD. Taking the booklet out in the car on the way home to read the lyrics, see the artwork etc, then whack it in the CD player as soon as you got home and chill in your room for hours listening to it from track 1 all the way through.

Trollhammaren

Juniors

You could chuck some stuff up on discogs and some die hard collectors might want to part with a fair bit of a cash for the rare stuff. Takes a bit of effort though.

I'm in the same boat. Have about 1000 CDs purely for ornamental display these days.

Mong

Post Whore

Ive only been listening to them from this decade so am unfamiliar with the older stuff. Any recommendations would be appreciated. So you know what sound i like (as i beleive they have changed a bit over time) the album I like best is from 2012 and is called The Manticore and Other Horrors, the song I posted earlier is from a 2010 album and is easily my favourite COF song to date.

Mong

Post Whore

I also have an original Garage days but it's the cassette version so i am completely unable to play it at all. Not that it matters anymore.

beave

Coach
Ive only been listening to them from this decade so am unfamiliar with the older stuff. Any recommendations would be appreciated. So you know what sound i like (as i beleive they have changed a bit over time) the album I like best is from 2012 and is called The Manticore and Other Horrors, the song I posted earlier is from a 2010 album and is easily my favourite COF song to date.

Get ‘The Principles of Evil Made Flesh’ and ‘Dusk and Her Embrace’ which is their first 2 albums. They were very polarizing back in the mid 90’s because they actually had some production and effort on their albums, most of the black metal back in those days sounded like they were recorded in a toilet. The purists hated them for that and the fact they were a bit ‘mainstream’. I just liked them because it was something different for me as I was more into Thrash and Death Metal. Listen to ‘TPOEMF’ all the way through, there’s some filler in between some songs but there’s some brilliance in there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Principle of Evil Made Flesh would’ve been bloody expensive back then because they were on a tiny label- I had to order it direct from the label in the UK. They blew up soon after and had a messy legal dispute to get out of that contract and sign to Music For Nations who released everything from Dusk.. onwards. I lived the early stuff but can’t say I’m much of a fan of anything after “cruelty and the Beast”, Dani’s vocals started to really grate about then and my own personal tastes had moved on somewhat.
I actually got onto them well before they were signed as a friend who was a big tape trader got their second demo tape- the demos are actually, awesome, evil and crusty as f**k. The third demo, Total f**king Darkenss hasn’t been released on CD and is well worth tracking down.

beave

Coach
Principle of Evil Made Flesh would’ve been bloody expensive back then because they were on a tiny label- I had to order it direct from the label in the UK. They blew up soon after and had a messy legal dispute to get out of that contract and sign to Music For Nations who released everything from Dusk.. onwards. I lived the early stuff but can’t say I’m much of a fan of anything after “cruelty and the Beast”, Dani’s vocals started to really grate about then and my own personal tastes had moved on somewhat.
I actually got onto them well before they were signed as a friend who was a big tape trader got their second demo tape- the demos are actually, awesome, evil and crusty as f**k. The third demo, Total f**king Darkenss hasn’t been released on CD and is well worth tracking down.

I’ll try and find mine and see what label it is.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Would be the original, it’d only been out s year or so then and they only moved labels around 1997 between Vempire and Dusk and Her Embrace.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Anybody see Machine Head have apparently called it a day? Everyone over Robs shit by the looks of it. He’ll probably just retire and become a fulltime SJW

adamkungl

Immortal
Anybody see Machine Head have apparently called it a day? Everyone over Robs shit by the looks of it. He’ll probably just retire and become a fulltime SJW

Seems like they were rightfully ashamed of the trashfire album Rob had them perform and quit rather than back it up with another turd.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Definitely overdue for MH. One of the few bands that’s had it, lost it, got it back then lost it again.

beave

Coach
They haven’t called it a day, Demmel and Mclain are leaving once the American the tour finishes that they just started. It’s the end if the current line-up according to Rob............. he’ll probably bring in some recruits and try to keep it going.

I started listening to them when Burn My Eyes came out and by f**k they’ve had some great moments and some absolute f**king shitful ones over 24 odd years. I have seen then live 4-5 times and whilst I respect them for their live performance, their material has just gone to utter shit. Killer and Kings was not bad, Through the Ashes of Empires was amazing and so was the first 2.

They needed to just stick to the formula that got them noticed in the first place. The change to nu-metal back to the thrash then to prog then back to thrash and now to whatever the f**k it is you would call them.......... enough. Just kill the band and be done with it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
They haven’t called it a day, Demmel and Mclain are leaving once the American the tour finishes that they just started. It’s the end if the current line-up according to Rob............. he’ll probably bring in some recruits and try to keep it going.

I started listening to them when Burn My Eyes came out and by f**k they’ve had some great moments and some absolute f**king shitful ones over 24 odd years. I have seen then live 4-5 times and whilst I respect them for their live performance, their material has just gone to utter shit. Killer and Kings was not bad, Through the Ashes of Empires was amazing and so was the first 2.

They needed to just stick to the formula that got them noticed in the first place. The change to nu-metal back to the thrash then to prog then back to thrash and now to whatever the f**k it is you would call them.......... enough. Just kill the band and be done with it.

MH has always been the Rob show. Whether he goes it alone or gets 3 new guys in won’t change much. Phil Demmels a great guitarist and has totally f*#king wasted the last 5 years of his career.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
MH has always been the Rob show. Whether he goes it alone or gets 3 new guys in won’t change much. Phil Demmels a great guitarist and has totally f*#king wasted the last 5 years of his career.

I reckon MH never would've got their mojo back in the first place without Demmel. He came in as a permanent member during the writing process for "Through the Ashes of Empires" and I reckon thats largely what got them back to focussing on what they were always good at (thrash) and ditching the cruddy rap/nu metal stuff. But yeah it does seem that Rob's pretensions got the better of the band in recent years and Demmel probably should've f**ked off a while back.

Latest posts