What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metcalf a Warrior

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Christchurch-raised Shaun Metcalf has become a fulltime rugby league player seven years after his teenage dreams of a professional career were shattered.

Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah today confirmed the 23-year-old Auckland Vulcans centre will link up with the club’s NRL squad from tomorrow after contracting him for the rest of the season with an option for next year.

From the Volcans site.

I will no longer support the club if this person plays for us.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
well, considering your location seems to advocate lynching one of our current players....

Sam_the_man

First Grade
well, considering your location seems to advocate lynching one of our current players....

Yeah this is the major issue at play here. Doesn't matter that a bloke tries to murder his unborn baby, whats important is my location.

Lossy

Juniors
In full from http://www.aucklandvulcans.co.nz/:

Vulcans Centre Signed By The Vodafone Warriors

Christchurch-raised Shaun Metcalf has become a fulltime rugby league player seven years after his teenage dreams of a professional career were shattered.

Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah today confirmed the 23-year-old Auckland Vulcans centre will link up with the club’s NRL squad from tomorrow after contracting him for the rest of the season with an option for next year.

“Because of Shaun’s form for the Auckland Vulcans we were looking to secure him on a part-time contract for the balance of 2011,” said Scurrah.

“But due to Jerome Ropati’s season-ending knee injury we decided to bring Shaun straight into the NRL squad on a full-time basis for the balance of the 2011 season, and with a club option for 2012.

“It’s a real tribute to Shaun that he has been able to reach this point in his life after the dark days he has endured.

“We’ve watched his progress and admired the way he has worked so hard to put his life back on track, and how he never lost sight of his dream of playing rugby league fulltime.

“For him to come back from where he was to being signed by the Vodafone Warriors is quite a story and it gives us a lot of satisfaction being able to give him the chance to take this big step forward. He deserves this opportunity and we’ll give him all the support we can.”

An elated and emotional Metcalf said he could scarcely contain his excitement about joining the Vodafone Warriors tomorrow.

“This is just unbelievable. It means so much to me and to my family and I’m going to do all I can to make the most of it,” said Metcalf, who has six-year-old twins with his long-time partner.

“I’m not proud of my past and I never will be. I can’t do anything about that now but what I can do something about, and what I’ve been trying to do ever since, is to rebuild my life and get it back on track.

“I have so many people to thank for supporting me through this, my partner, our kids, my family and friends and also rugby league itself. I also owe so much to (manager) Frank Endacott, to the Vulcans and to the Vodafone Warriors for having faith in me.”

Metcalf was marked as a player of exceptional promise when he was in the Vodafone Warriors’ development squad. He was only 16 when he played for the Vodafone Warriors – and scored two tries – in an NRL preseason trial against St George Illawarra in Hamilton in 2004.

His contract was terminated a few months later when he was convicted and imprisoned for his part in an attack on his pregnant ex-girlfriend in 2003.

While the New Zealand Rugby League agreed to reinstate Metcalf in 2005, he was unable to travel to Australia until he was cleared this year. He has played for Auckland clubs Otahuhu, Te Atatu and Marist as well as featuring for North Harbour in the now defunct Bartercard Cup. For the last four seasons he has been a regular for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup but, until this year, he had been restricted to playing only home games. He has also played for the Auckland representative side in the national competition.

Congratulations, Shaun. Go hard.

Jesbass

First Grade
This news has made my day.

This has probably been one of the best weeks for me as far as recruiting goes: Fisiiahi, Rapira, and Metcalf.

Exciting times.

Lossy

Juniors
Hello Polar Bob, hanging out here these days?

Just around in general. Not more here than elsewhere, but less in certain elsewheres. Sick of the negativity in league. We're a pissant sport because of it. Not commenting that much as a result. Better things to do.

Jesbass

First Grade
Just around in general. Not more here than elsewhere, but less in certain elsewheres. Sick of the negativity in league. We're a pissant sport because of it. Not commenting that much as a result. Better things to do.

This.

Bloody oath, it's liberating! :D

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I really have to admire the Warriors for Metcalf's signing. Shaun's obviously done well, to turn his life around. I know I've said in the past, that I would not cheer for him. But an article about him, a couple of weeks ago, changed my mind.

His crime was reprehensible, and I could never have condoned his signing, if the mother or child were killed. But both survived and Shaun has a family of his own now.

There will be no redemption here for Shaun. But there will be a form of respect to him and the Warriors.

Lossy

Juniors
A slighty extended version is on the Warrior's site. The extra info' is below.

Link.

While Metcalf will officially become a Vodafone Warrior tomorrow, he has already played for the club’s NRL side this year. It came about when he and Vulcans team-mate Johnny Aranga were brought in to train with the Vodafone Warriors and play in their February 19 NRL trial in Whangarei.
Metcalf has made two trips to Australia with the Vulcans so far this season, playing in their back-to-back wins against Wentworthville (March 12) and Manly (March 19). He also has vast experience of playing alongside many of the current Vodafone Warriors’ NRL squad members when they’ve turned out for the Vulcans.

SHAUN METCALF

Born: August 20, 1987
Birthplace: Christchurch, New Zealand
Position: Centre
Height:180cm
Weight:94kg
Junior Club: Halswell Hornets (Christchurch)
Previous Clubs:Auckland Vulcans (New South Wales Cup); North Harbour (Bartercard Cup), Otahuhu, Te Atatu, Marist, East Coast Bays (Auckland)
Representative:Auckland

Robster

Bench
He has turned his life around people. SH!T he was 16 at the time, he was young and extremely messed up. He has paid the price in prison and obviously regrets his actions. We need to forgive in life and move on or else we will never move on in life.

LeagueNut

First Grade
“I’m not proud of my past and I never will be. I can’t do anything about that now but what I can do something about, and what I’ve been trying to do ever since, is to rebuild my life and get it back on track.
I can relate. Good on him for reaching his dream - I'm looking forward to seeing him in first grade one day.

ozbash

Referee
I really have to admire the Warriors for Metcalf's signing. Shaun's obviously done well, to turn his life around. I know I've said in the past, that I would not cheer for him. But an article about him, a couple of weeks ago, changed my mind.

His crime was reprehensible, and I could never have condoned his signing, if the mother or child were killed. But both survived and Shaun has a family of his own now.

There will be no redemption here for Shaun. But there will be a form of respect to him and the Warriors.

yep, I suppose so.

Lossy

Juniors
Herald.

NRL: Shocking mistake put behind with one-year contract

There will be a new boy at Warriors training tomorrow but, unlike most who become fulltime professionals, he is more well-known for what he has done off the field.

Shaun Metcalf was 15 when he and two Warriors development squad team-mates brutally attacked his girlfriend in 2003 in the hope she would miscarry the baby she was carrying. The child survived repeated kicking only because the mother wrapped her arms around her stomach.

It was a shocking crime that not only saw Metcalf spend 5 months in prison but also curtailed what had been a promising rugby league career.

On Thursday he signed a one-year contract with the Warriors as cover for the injured Jerome Ropati, who is out for the season with a knee injury. Metcalf will begin training tomorrow and the club has an option on him for 2012.

It won't be a universally popular decision but the Warriors believe he has paid for his crime and deserves a second chance. The board and management were unanimous in their support of the decision to offer him a contract.

"He paid a pretty big price for what he did," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said. "He was very young at the time. It was something he will regret forever, but he knows he can't change that. He wants to prove what sort of person he is through his family and footy career.

"For him to come back from where he was to being signed by the Warriors is quite a story and it gives us a lot of satisfaction to give him the chance to take this big step forward. He deserves this opportunity and we'll give him all the support we can."

The Warriors had been in negotiations to sign Metcalf to a part-time contract for the rest of 2011 and then evaluate whether to offer him a full-time deal for 2012. But Ropati's injury accelerated discussions with the 23-year-old centre.

"This is just unbelievable. It means so much to me and to my family and I'm going to do all I can to make the most of it," said Metcalf, in a statement released yesterday.

He now has 6-year-old twins with his long-time partner. The club said he would not be talking to media.

"I'm not proud of my past and I never will be. I can't do anything about that now but what I can do something about - and what I've been trying to do ever since - is to rebuild my life and get it back on track.

"I have so many people to thank for supporting me through this, my partner, our kids, my family and friends and also rugby league itself. I also owe so much to [manager] Frank Endacott, to the Vulcans and to the Warriors for having faith in me."

Endacott signed Metcalf as a 14-year-old and, along with Sonny Fai, was seen as one of the most exciting talents in the country. He was just 16 when he scored two tries in an NRL pre-season match against the Dragons in 2004 but his Warriors contract was terminated a few months later when he was convicted and imprisoned for the attack on his ex-girlfriend.

Although he was cleared by the NZRL to resume playing rugby league in 2005, and he first played for the Auckland Vulcans in 2007, visa restrictions meant he couldn't travel to Australia. That condition was lifted earlier this year and he has played across the Tasman twice this season.

Endacott and Metcalf mapped out a plan this year in the hope of securing an NRL contract in 2012.

"I stuck with him because I have always believed people are allowed one mistake in life and he made his mistake," Endacott said.

"It was a big mistake. He's paid his dues, over and over. It's been eight years since that incident. It's nice to see him get an opportunity now and to make something of his life, because he certainly has off the field.

"I think 99 per cent of people have said, 'hey, let him get on with life'. He has copped more than murderers do."

Metcalf is still said to have some way to go before he is ready to make an NRL debut.

Lossy

Juniors
Sunday News via Stuff:

Injury-hit Warriors sign Shaun Metcalf

New Warriors recruit Shaun Metcalf says he is ready to answer the club's backline SOS.

Sunday News can today reveal that Metcalf, 23, has signed a fulltime contract with the Auckland-based NRL club for the remainder of the 2011 season, with an option for next year.

It is a remarkable turn of events for the highly-rated centre who lost his development squad contract with the club over the assault of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and who was later convicted and jailed in 2004.

Metcalf signed the deal following Kiwis star Jerome Ropati's seasonending knee injury.

That, combined with Joel Moons axing due to ongoing poor form, means the Warriors will today fi eld a makeshift centres pairing of Simon Mannering and Shaun Berrigan against the highfl ying Cronulla Sharks in Taupo.

But Metcalf once rated as the most talented teenage league player in New Zealand said he was ready to step up if required.

"I know I will play aggressive ... that is the way I think the game should be played as its a hard contact sport, Metcalf said. I am looking forward to seeing how much I can develop.

"The Warriors have given me this chance. But I still have a long way to go before I achieve all my goals.

"My next goal is to at least make a debut this year, to be pushing for a spot. I dont want to be a one-hit wonder ... I want to be a regular fi rst-grader and play consistent footy."

Metcalf was a member of the Warriors development squad before being jailed in May 2004. He had earlier played for the Warriors in a preseason trial against the Dragons, aged just 16, scoring two tries.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said Metcalf deserved his chance in the NRL, saying: "Weve watched his progress and admired the way he has worked so hard to put his life back on track.

"Due to Jerome Ropati's season-ending injury we decided to bring Shaun straight into the NRL squad on a fulltime basis for the balance of the 2011 season and with a club option for 2012."

NZ Warrior

First Grade
He has turned his life around people. SH!T he was 16 at the time, he was young and extremely messed up. He has paid the price in prison and obviously regrets his actions. We need to forgive in life and move on or else we will never move on in life.

Well said, Robby. I don't know about forgiveness. But I know about understanding that mistakes are going to be made, in our youth.

For me, my view would be different, if Shaun didn't now have a family and League was still his only focus in life. That would tell me, he has not changed the view-set that got him into trouble in the first place.

But he does have a family and still has ambition for League. That shows me that he has found a new maturity and is ready to commit to his family, as well as League.

Lossy

Juniors
Last one for now. Another Sunday News vis Stuff article. A lot of info gets rehashed but the way they all slice and dice it is interesting. No doubt there will be some Op-eds over the coming days.

Warriors' shock new signing

WARRIORS comeback kid Shaun Metcalf is calling on fans to judge him on how he performs for the club, not on his teenage offending.

Metcalf, 23, this week signed a fulltime contract with the Auckland-based NRL team – which in 2004 terminated his development squad contract over his attack on his pregnant ex-girlfriend, for which he was jailed.

The fulltime contract offer came after Metcalf broke his silence over his offending, and told of his road to redemption, in Sunday News a fortnight ago.

As he digested his stunning return, Metcalf had a message for those who might question his signing: "Judge me by how I play, not how I acted in the past".

"I have always wanted a fresh start. And that is what the Warriors have given me," he told Sunday News.

"I'm not proud of my past and I never will be. I can't do anything about that now but what I can do something about, and what I've been trying to do ever since, is to rebuild my life and get it back on track."

The contract, signed on Tuesday, is for the rest of this season, with an option for next year.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said Metcalf deserved his second chance, given his dedication on and off the football field.

He has been a star for feeder club the Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup competition for the past four seasons, despite having only been able to play home games because of a recently-lifted travel ban.

"It's a real tribute to Shaun that he has been able to reach this point in his life after the dark days he has endured," Scurrah said.

"We've watched his progress and admired the way he has worked so hard to put his life back on track, and how he never lost sight of his dream of playing rugby league fulltime.

"For him to come back from where he was to being signed by the Vodafone Warriors is quite a story and it gives us a lot of satisfaction being able to give him the chance to take this big step forward.

"He deserves this opportunity and we'll give him all the support we can."

Metcalf and two teenage friends were jailed in May 2004. The trio were involved in an attack on Metcalf's pregnant 16-year-old ex-girlfriend in August 2003. He was sentenced to 18 months' jail, and spent 5 1/2 months in Wellington's Rimutaka Prison's youth unit.

His budding professional league career faced a life sentence, as he was banned from travelling overseas. But the ban was lifted in November after a successful campaign spearheaded by his manager and former Kiwis coach Frank Endacott and retired High Court judge and ex-New Zealand Rugby League chairman Trevor Maxwell.

Metcalf was indebted to those who have helped him on his road back.

"This is just unbelievable. I have so many people to thank for supporting me through this – my partner, our kids, my family and friends and also rugby league itself. I also owe so much to Frank Endacott, to the Vulcans and to the Vodafone Warriors for having faith in me."

"Emotions were running pretty wild" in his house after he told his family about the Warriors contract, and he was unable to sleep on Tuesday night.

"I kept getting out of bed, going back and forth, to look at the paperwork," Metcalf said.

"I just had to keep checking it was real. I looked at it so many times it was crazy."

For the past 2 1/2 years, Metcalf's commitment to chasing his NRL dream, plus providing a future for his partner and their six-year-old twins, has seen him start work at 3am to drive meat delivery trucks.

After finishing work at 10am, he had a fitness workout before a mid-afternoon sleep, time with his twins, then Auckland Vulcans training sessions.

He drove the meat delivery truck for the last time on Friday.

Tomorrow he will start his new career, as a fulltime NRL player.

"I am just rapt that the contract is with the Warriors," he said. "It is great that I don't have to uproot my family and take off overseas.

"It's also great that more members of my family will get the chance to see me play."

In Metcalf's exclusive interview a fortnight ago, he told Sunday News of his sorrow over his teenage offending.

He said: "I have never been proud of what I did, how I acted and the way I acted. I was young, I was friggin' dumb."

Metcalf said he had been flooded with support following the story.

"I have had a lot of good feedback, from random people, family and customers I deliver to," he said.

"And I have had more support [since talking] than I thought I would ever get. I knew there were some negative comments.

"But I try to block that out and just listen to the positive."

devoid

Juniors
I'm a little stunned by this one. Personally, I think if one were to write off people for mistakes they made as teenagers, there wouldn't be too many of us perfect souls left to choose from.

However, I don't think Warriors management do themselves any favours when they seemingly take one position, only to about turn just months later.

Skinner

Coach
I'm a little stunned by this one. Personally, I think if one were to write off people for mistakes they made as teenagers, there wouldn't be too many of us perfect souls left to choose from.

However, I don't think Warriors management do themselves any favours when they seemingly take one position, only to about turn just months later.

devoid, you must surely realise by now, that when any nrl franchise management make a statement, then the opposite will occur.