What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metcalf a Warrior

devoid

Juniors
devoid, you must surely realise by now, that when any nrl franchise management make a statement, then the opposite will occur.

To be fair Skinner, I thought that only pertained to coaches job security. :sarcasm:

ozbash

Referee
who was it at Warriors HQ that said Metcalf would never be a Warrior ?

someone said it, dont know if it was Scurrah or Mick Watson.

devoid

Juniors
who was it at Warriors HQ that said Metcalf would never be a Warrior ?

someone said it, dont know if it was Scurrah or Mick Watson.

Scurrah - it was when Metcalf and Arangi were added to the Bears trial game - think it was the Bears.

Meth

Staff member
Christchurch-raised Shaun Metcalf has become a fulltime rugby league player seven years after his teenage dreams of a professional career were shattered.

Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah today confirmed the 23-year-old Auckland Vulcans centre will link up with the club’s NRL squad from tomorrow after contracting him for the rest of the season with an option for next year.

From the Volcans site.

I will no longer support the club if this person plays for us.

F.O Sam_the_man

mean

Juniors
Well said, Robby. I don't know about forgiveness. But I know about understanding that mistakes are going to be made, in our youth.

For me, my view would be different, if Shaun didn't now have a family and League was still his only focus in life. That would tell me, he has not changed the view-set that got him into trouble in the first place.

We can't reflect on forgiveness, because we're not the victim and our views would be different if we were the victim, victim's father, brother, grandfather and so on.

In terms of the level of forgiveness, if Metcalf committed an act a pedophilia or sexually violated a 80 year old pensioner, would we grant the same level of forgiveness? Different level of offending, but equally as offensive and brutal as attempting to KILL an unborn baby.

I'd be interested to know whether he's a father just to his twins or to ALL his kids, that way it would give a better insight towards his family responsibilities or commitments.

I can't believe he's only 23. Seems like he's been around for years or at least been playing senior footy for that long.

It's a hard decision to make, perhaps expedited through desperation.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I think I read somewhere, that he was paying child support to the mother and baby, he assaulted. I assume that was what you were implying, Mean. It might have been in the article from a fortnight ago.

Obviously, the community's forgiveness is a mere token to the actual forgiveness of the victim. I can only imagine, how hard that would be.

The key point for us to make is do we support the club in Metcalf's signing? I think they have made a bold call, but an honourable one. Honourable in the sense that they are willing to give Shaun a second chance, to further his rehabilitation back into society.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Different level of offending, but equally as offensive and brutal as attempting to KILL an unborn baby.

Heh

Seriously?

The planned killing of unborn babies occurs with roughly the same frequency in our society as picked noses and hot dinners.

I'll stop now, but sometimes I wonder how our society doesn't spontaneously combust from hypocrisy

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Everyone (almost) deserves a second chance. I believe Metcalf does, without at all condoning what he did.

However, if Scurrah said he'd never be a Warrior, then backtracked because we're so low on centres, I'd be concerned.

hitman82

Bench
I'm glad, and EXTREMELY surprised, that Shaun has picked up a contract with us. Could still become a real star in the NRL.

hitman82

Bench
As for Scurrah possibly back-tracking... NRL is a big business, money and assets talk. Sounds like Shaun is now considered an asset.

mean

Juniors
Heh

Seriously?

The planned killing of unborn babies occurs with roughly the same frequency in our society as picked noses and hot dinners.

I'll stop now, but sometimes I wonder how our society doesn't spontaneously combust from hypocrisy

Apples and oranges.

JAG

Juniors
no its not

Manu is absolutely right

Are you nuts? With the greatest respect, that's absolute rubbish.

Are you seriously suggesting that a woman/girl making a decision to have a medical procedure to terminate a pregnancy is no different to having her boyfriend/husband punch the sh*t out of her to cause her to have a miscarriage?

Meth

Staff member
Are you nuts? With the greatest respect, that's absolute rubbish.

Are you seriously suggesting that a woman/girl making a decision to have a medical procedure to terminate a pregnancy is no different to having her boyfriend/husband punch the sh*t out of her to cause her to have a miscarriage?

No. Sorry, my post may have been a tad vague (or misdirected).

I'm not totally equating the two. Obviously, this incident has the added factors of the assault and also that the woman was far from a consenting participant in the murder of the unborn. This was a malicious and heinous act.

In saying that, I won't shy away from my view that abortion is murder. And I think it's hypocritical for society to be so appalled by Metcalf's actions and so silent on the abortion issue.

Anyway, I understand it is a very involved and contentious issue.

Latest posts