What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***MH*** is coming to Perth!

b0rt

Juniors
Thanks for the great report MH. Glad it was a memorable experience and you enjoyed the experience, mostly!

Interested to hear your comments re under 18 and this is one area that more funding, a decent schools comp and, one day an NRL team. could really change. It is probably our weakest area at the moment. Finding ways to get more kids in teh game is a huge challenge in an AFL mad city and with RU now having a leg up with all teh ARU money and Force for them to entice kids with.

The answer to any Under 18s is difficult due to the age group
true. theres quite a high drop out around this age and the better players are usually in union before then. i know we have struggled to field a full U18s team at times this year, and indeed both season i played U18s

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
true. theres quite a high drop out around this age and the better players are usually in union before then. i know we have struggled to field a full U18s team at times this year, and indeed both season i played U18s

That surprises me in some ways, and in other ways doesn't surprise me at all.

The unfortunate reality from my point of view (and I don't know much about the inner workings of the WARL); is that it appears their development of the sport through-out the age-groups is quite deficient. There are so many ways to retain quality players in the sport. You only need to look at the methods employed by Rugby Union in Perth to notice a dramatic difference - though - in the WARL's defense, RugbyWA has a much greater financial security and human resource at their disposal. Additionally, it's widely noted that teenagers often stop playing sport into young adulthood - for whatever reason - there seems to be a high 'drop out' rate, irrespective of sport. The key is to prevent transferrence to other sports, and to provide current players with a clear pathway available to reach higher levels of competition.

I've had a few discussions with various people within the league and am attempting to produce a proposal to present to the WARL to improve their developmental pathways; especially now with a state team that needs further depth and support from the local league that supports it.

What kind of issues do you think need to be raised? (Any of you....)?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nicholas here's a few ideas:

1. Schools - WARL needs to devlop stronger links with schools, offering grants for equipment, goalposts, coaching support and regular visits from the Reds players. They should target schools in the areas we currently have WARL clubs.
2. Maybe move to an under 17's and under 20's set up?
3. More schools events, the school age carnivals seem very popular and agreat intro for kids and teachers to RL. Again it can be used as a vehicle to identify schools that have an interest in moving to running regular teams.
4. Pressure the ARL and WA Govt/Lotteries to fund moe schools development
5. At the other end of the scale set up a masters league for players 35+ with modified rules/game length

Just some thoughts!

Nicolas Hart

Juniors

1. Schools - WARL needs to devlop stronger links with schools, offering grants for equipment, goalposts, coaching support and regular visits from the Reds players. They should target schools in the areas we currently have WARL clubs.
3. More schools events, the school age carnivals seem very popular and agreat intro for kids and teachers to RL. Again it can be used as a vehicle to identify schools that have an interest in moving to running regular teams.
4. Pressure the ARL and WA Govt/Lotteries to fund moe schools development
5. At the other end of the scale set up a masters league for players 35+ with modified rules/game length

Just some thoughts!

Thanks! ... I'll definitely include these!

b0rt

Juniors
this was in place last year and the beginning of this year. it was soon replaced by U18s this year instead, due to insufficient numbers.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
rather than just creating random age groups to mirror our eastern states counter parts, the WARL need to build on the age groups that are already strong.

For example if there is a strong under 15's comp in 2009 than in 2010 have a under 16's, 2011 17's....You got to keep in mind the physical and mental development gaps with kids in these mid-late teens age groups. this is a big reason why aot of kids pull the pin on playing because they think there to small to be playing under 20's as a 17 year old (which in some cases they probably are).

I think it was Smithtown that posted on here "the answer to the under 18's is 5 years away" and if you have a look at the junior competition age groups in the under 11's,12's & 13.5's its true. The WARL have to keep the kids in these age groups playing together.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
You got to keep in mind the physical and mental development gaps with kids in these mid-late teens age groups. this is a big reason why aot of kids pull the pin on playing because they think there to small to be playing under 20's as a 17 year old (which in some cases they probably are).

Completely agree.

My main shortfall in what I know about the competition comes down to the various junior competitions currently in circulation, and their respective participation numbers.

Overall, if there are great numbers in the 15's; then there is great hope for the future development of the Junior-Senior progressions later on; for which planning now will be great.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
i believe the biggest age groups are the 11's,12's & 13.5's so they are the future (15's only has a 4 team comp)