What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***MH*** is coming to Perth!

***MH***

Bench
I've been selected as part of a referees exchange program between the WA Referees and the Canterbury Bankstown Referees.

In late June or mid July, I'll be flying out to Perth to run a couple of games. In previous years we've sent out referees and have developed a really good relationship with our Western counterparts.

Here is a report from the previous exchange.

http://www.cbra.com.au/news/29/52/Exchange-Programs-with-Perth-Sunshine-Coast/

I hope to have a good time and a great experience in Perth, and look forward to seeing you at the games.

Wish me luck!

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, there's been at least one season a few years ago where there were Canterbury-based referees over here officiating games.

Just remember ***MH***, the maroon, gold, and white team are the good guys! 2 of your fellow LeagueUnlimited forumers play for them ... so go easy on us!

***MH***

Bench
Can't wait, i'm really excited! I should find out the finer details closer to the due date.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Best of luck, I'm sure you'll love our great city. Hope the games go well and you find it a great experience.

***MH***

Bench
Ok, I've got my marching orders and will be heading to Perth on the first weekend in July. I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon 2nd July. Staying at the Aarons Hotel in Pier St, Perth (all expences paid!! $$$ )

I'm going to pack a selection of my League jerseys to see if i get noticed on the streets of Perth.

Nuke

Staff member
I take it you'll be doing a game in Perth somewhere that weekend then?
That's the weekend Joondalup travel to Kalgoorlie, so it looks unlikely you'll be officiating our game!

***MH***

Bench
Most likely Perth, we fly out Sunday arvo with time to do a game in the morning.

I found that WARL would have sent referees to Sydney if it wasn't for their low officiating numbers. I hope that numbers can increase in the future, it's really necessary for a stronger WARL competition.

***MH***

Bench
So, I found out what games I get early next week but I will have a bit of free time to myself out west. So far, I've been recommended to book dinner at one of the restaurants there called Madam Maudes. And also, to catch a ferry out to Fremantle for some sight seeing there too.

Is there anything else that I should do out Perth way?

Perth Red

Post Whore
if its raining the Mint is an interesting 2 hour visit, if its sunny get up to Kings Park, lovely vista of the city and river from up there. A boat wine tour up to the Swan Valley is good if you like your wine. In summer i'd suggest snorkelling at Rottnest but not this time of year! You can easily spend the full day in Freo, good pubs, restaurants/cafes (get yourself to Little Creatures for a couple of beers straight from the vat then Ciccerollos for fish and chips by the harbour!), maritime museum, round house, markets etc. Get the boat there, you get commentary on the river and the history of the place. If you want to venture further afield get the traina nd bus to Hillarys marina at Sorrento. Nice marina with cafes etc and if weatehr not great our aquarium is there. If weather good and you like animals our zoo is rated as one of the best small zoos in the world, well worth an afternoon.

Hopefully the storms will have blown over by next week! Have a great time here and I hope you enjoy your stay and the game, i'm sure the players will be kind to you!

albert

Juniors
I'll be at Central on Saturday and North Beach on Sunday.
I will be there on Saturday,good luck I hope you have "thick skin" as our supporters can be very shall we say fickle......
Will you be refereeing first grade or ressies?

***MH***

Bench
I've got the early reserves centre then touch judge of the other reserves and then first grade.

***MH***

Bench
Here's a recap from my weekend in Western Australia.

When we touched down in Perth, we had a couple of days of free time to roam the city. I stuck around the CBD for most of the time there, visiting various pubs and restaurants in my league jerseys. I wore some Canterbury gear one day, my NSW gear the next as well as my Aussie jersey and Irish world cup jersey too. I don't think many people noticed.

I met up with some of the WARL people over the weekend, namely those with the referees association to discuss how things run out west. They've basically indicated that it runs exactly the same way it does back east and I learnt first hand that this was the case. Come game day, I got to the Centenary Park, the home of the Central Bulldogs early to catch some of the Women’s League Tag. We have a Sydney women’s league (tackle) back east which doesn't get much of a following, so I was interested in seeing how they do it in Perth. I think it is an interesting concept. It's sort of Under 12's full field rules with no scrums when it comes to the league side of the game. It's not the same as Oztag as such for mind; I think there is a higher league influence in this version which I feel would work very well in the Sydney leagues.

My game was up next in the reserve grade between Central Bulldogs White and Joondalup Giants. It was a one sided game with the Giants running away as clear winners. I felt very comfortable in this match, the players were very responsive to my instructions and it was a low penalty affair. I allowed an expansive advantage game for the Giants as the Bulldogs found it difficult to get back the 10 on occasions. The Giants hit the advantage line and gained many metres during their sets, so it wasn't necessary to blow offside penalties all game except for a few where it was to their disadvantage. The Bulldogs competed in parts of the game when they were able to hold out the Giants for a few of their sets. Once they were able to get into the oppositions territory, they were able to convert them into points but this only happened a few times during the match. Both coaches came to me at the end of the match and thanked me for the game; they even asked if I could do First Grade for them too! A few of the Bulldog supporters also commended me for my efforts.

I touch judged the next two games; these were a lot more difficult to officiate. In the reserves, I had to deal with a melee on my side of the field that was initiated by a player who had felt that he was tripped. The problem was, in my visual evidence, the trip was completely accidental. In my view, the player didn't stick his leg out to trip the opponent, but had the leading leg out forward when closing in on the ball carrier and their legs collided. The ball carrier retaliated to this which made the incident look far worse than it needed to be. Anyhow, the game carried on without further incident onfield. Before halftime, there was a fight between some of the spectators separate away from the field, I don't really know what was happening with that. Luckily this didn't replicate onfield.

In the First Grade between Central Bulldogs and the Rockingham Sharks, it was a mixture of misfortune and frustration on the Sharks behalf. I don't know all too well in who the strong teams are in the comp other than what I was told in who was leading in the ladder. But the Sharks were the better side for most of this game, bar the last 12 minutes. The Sharks gained control of the match in the first half with some strong forward play and also benefiting from poor handling from the Bulldogs. Before half time, the Sharks threw away a scoring opportunity with a melee back in their own half. I witnessed a face roughing incident from a Sharks player in back play which began an altercation with his opponent. I had to alert the referee that the Sharks had infringed and the penalty had to go the other way. The second half, the Bulldogs ball control improved, and repeated sets helped the Bulldogs get back into the game. As the Bulldogs began to close in on the Sharks. The Sharks began to become frustrated with some of the tackles that they were receiving from Central in the centre of the field. They complained to me about not coming in for these, but the simple answer is that these tackles were seen by the centre referee. Touch judges are instructed not to come in for issues that the referee has clearly seen, and can really only rule on back play. The referee had ruled that the tackles were fine.

Towards the end of the match, Sharks began a habit of circumstance in where they would get the ball deep into the Bulldogs territory and then they would get caught for stripping the football. Penalties ensued as Bulldogs gained better field position and scored from their opportunities. This repeated several times in the coming sets which frustrated the Sharks as they lost players to the bin for backchat. As the penalties came, so did the points for the Bulldogs and they were able to gain the lead. There was a send-off late in the game when one of the players lashed out with his feet and made contact with his opponents head. It was all too late for the Sharks as the Bulldogs came away winners in a bitter unusual contest.

It's all to say the least that I was very uncomfortable in running in this last match, having ran two previous games in a row. Compounded by the fact that my duties as a touch judge were being slurred by disgruntled frustrated supporters. I don't blame them for being frustrated, I'd be frustrated too if my team was being handed several penalties and sin bins. It certainly gave me experience in blocking out all the negativity that was coming from the sidelines and being able to focus on the game. I can only imagine what it is like for an NRL touch judge to face this week in and out by one eyed supporters from behind the fence. It's a tough emotion to deal with that can only be overcome by a professional attitude and a water off a ducks back approach.

After the game, we were invited to stay back for the presentations in the clubhouse which were very pleasant. It was a very celebratory atmosphere from both of the clubs that stayed back. Some of the players came up and talked to us and shared some beers as we reflected on the events of the day and comparisons between the East and the West.

The next day, we travelled to North Beach. I found this to be a great venue for footy. It was a very nice park with excellent facilities. If Sydney had facilities like this in most of their parks, then I'd be a very happy referee. I got down there early to check out the quality of the junior games. I must commend the Perth sides on their performance, as they're on par with most of the mini league that I've seen out East way. I had the Under 18's match between the North Beach Eagles and Rockingham Sharks. The Sharks performed extremely well, with 11 players. 10 in most of the first half as one of their players left the field for the blood bin. After some early penalties, the lead changed a few times until the Eagles gained control. The second half, the Sharks with some excellent ball skills managed to close in but came up short in the end losing by 4 points. The margin could have been greater, as North Beach fumbled the ball over the try line twice in what were certainties if they could hold the ball. The Eagles could really have been in a stir, as I couldn't hear the siren at full time and the Sharks had an extra play the ball after a penalty, and nearly scored. That mistake could have ruined the whole game, luckily the Eagles were able to hold the Sharks up over the line and my touchie was able to come in and tell me that the siren went. The Sharks can hold themselves proud to compete in the whole game with half their team missing. On observation, the under 18's in Sydney could have put cricket scores against these two sides. No offense. The size difference at this level is massive to the extreme, and the skill level is much higher. I can only hope in time that the Western teams can keep on developing and become stronger.

All in all, this trip to Perth was an experience that I will never forget. There is alot that I will take from this to improve myself as a match official, and I hope that some of the players and the referees that I met can take alot away from having me there too. I met some young and enthusiastic referees in my journey there who are very passionate about Rugby League. I can safely say that the WARL are in great hands. On this last note, I encourage those who read this who see a referee in WA to give them the support that they need and don't be afraid to go up and chat with them. It takes alot of commitment, especially in AFL heartland, for a person to give up their weekends for the sport that they love. And give refereeing a go; they could use the numbers too!

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Towards the end of the match, Sharks began a habit of circumstance in where they would get the ball deep into the Bulldogs territory and then they would get caught for stripping the football. Penalties ensued as Bulldogs gained better field position and scored from their opportunities.

Same thing happened when we played them the week before they are obviously being coached to attack the ball, which is costing them dearly in the penalty count.

Thanks for the post MH was a good read, good to see an "out siders" point of view

***MH***

Bench
Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for the great report MH. Glad it was a memorable experience and you enjoyed the experience, mostly!

Interested to hear your comments re under 18 and this is one area that more funding, a decent schools comp and, one day an NRL team. could really change. It is probably our weakest area at the moment. Finding ways to get more kids in teh game is a huge challenge in an AFL mad city and with RU now having a leg up with all teh ARU money and Force for them to entice kids with.

b0rt

Juniors
The Eagles could really have been in a stir, as I couldn't hear the siren at full time and the Sharks had an extra play the ball after a penalty, and nearly scored. That mistake could have ruined the whole game, luckily the Eagles were able to hold the Sharks up over the line and my touchie was able to come in and tell me that the siren went.
your not the first one to experience this
On observation, the under 18's in Sydney could have put cricket scores against these two sides. No offense. The size difference at this level is massive to the extreme, and the skill level is much higher. I can only hope in time that the Western teams can keep on developing and become stronger.
100% true