What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan: put up or shut up, Jarryd Hayne

V1er

Juniors
Burt has been a bit of a scapegoat here i reckon, he should have been dropped but so should have others in the team.

hybrideel

Bench
Hayne just better not do his pansy kick returns we all know he can and did do for the first few games at fullback last year. i remember screaming at the tv telling him to run(funnily enough he must not have heard me). I remember an old coach saying to me when i played fullback, unless there is a gap to run for you are going to make the most metres by running as fast as you can in a straight line down the field. That is something that Hunt does very well

fish eel

Immortal
1. Defence - goal line, ruck and fringes. The whole defensive line is ordinary. Attack - 21 points per game. Defence - 22 points per game. Changing the fullback may malke a difference however Haynes ability under the highball is not that much better than Burts.

I agree, but defending our goal line, its not the high ball thats our problem. We are pretty solid there, its attackers strolling through arm grabs that is our biggest problem.

2. Lack of ball movement through the forwards. One out off the dummy half every hit up is only going to see players get dominated. We lack ball runners in the team outside of Mateo. .

I think we all know we've played our best football this year when we've been throwing the ball around. We look so unthreatening just taking the hit ups.

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree, but defending our goal line, its not the high ball thats our problem. We are pretty solid there, its attackers strolling through arm grabs that is our biggest problem.

And changing the fullback doesn't change that at all, those areas that need to be addressed - Finch, Reddy, Inu, Tautai, Williams - are all still in the lineup as well.

I think we all know we've played our best football this year when we've been throwing the ball around. We look so unthreatening just taking the hit ups.

It has always been our best form of football since 2000. But like Smith before him, Hagan seems to not like mistakes - gievn that he coached a side like Newcastle who were very much from the pass and hope mould its a real shift in mentality.

fish eel

Immortal
And changing the fullback doesn't change that at all, those areas that need to be addressed - Finch, Reddy, Inu, Tautai, Williams - are all still in the lineup as well.

No, it doesnt change that. But it may strengthen us in other areas.

It has always been our best form of football since 2000. But like Smith before him, Hagan seems to not like mistakes - gievn that he coached a side like Newcastle who were very much from the pass and hope mould its a real shift in mentality.

I think it's because, in terms of coaches, Hagan is a follower, not a leader.

The succesful sides nowdays play pretty conservative football for the most part - especially in their own half. I remember Sterling being interviewed on ABC radio - he described Melbourne as the most boring team in the comp, and said last season they were near the bottom in terms of off loads.

I think we need to focus on our strengths, and not worry about replicating, or trying to replicate what is perceived to be the way to play winning football this season.

oldmancraigy

Coach
They are too easily dominated.

Totally agree.

I've been spruiking Mateo in the pack for a while - and I think Tony Williams needs to come off the bench as the 'reserve backrower'.

Wagon - kthanksbye

And we're thin in the props department anyway - Cayless is making great meters, but needs a couple of rugged guys alongside him - Moi Moi is the wrecking ball, so we need the 'enforcer' type (which we just don't have).

Hauraki is a good hitter in D, but is always sucking in the big ones... I'd play him for the first 15 every match.

but like you say Colonel, there aren't that many options!

Agree that other changes need to be made (particularly for our defence) but the Hayne to FB move is one good move that can be made....

spiderdan

Bench
i think it's a fracken stupid article. it states that hayne demanded to play fullback and then contradicts itself at the end by saying it was a request. fact of the matter is burt is a shadow of the player he was last year and should have been moved weeks ago (though a shift to the wing i think would've been better than a complete axing).

thing is that there are plenty of others not playing well in the team that keep getting picked. having only dumped backs seems to be an idiotic move on the coach's behalf.

though i'd love to see a win tonight i don't think hayne playing fullback and williams on the wing is the complete solution. hagan et al have a lot of work to do to fix our performances after last week's loss. if they manage to turn it around today, great job, but i'd be surprised to see it happen.

forward pass

Coach

And the reason we haven't done that much is because we have Mateo at five-eighth. He is not a ball distributor, he likes to take the line on.

Having KK in the side will really let our outside backs see more ball tonight.

Bigfella

Coach
I agree there was never any evidence Hayne demanded to play FB in the article.

I hope the whole thing is overstated and the divisions between younger blokes and the older are nota s bad as made out.

My concern would be some of Hindmarsh's reported comments critical of Hayne, Tautai and Inu, and occasions where Riddell and Finch have blown up at younger blokes.

I hope the general theme of the article is not true because ican't see any hope of the drastic improvment we all want if the squad is in disharmony.

I also hope the senior players aren't blaming the younger blokes without addressing their own form, whcih is a far bigger concern IMO.

eel4life

Juniors
While they have pinpointed several key areas for improvement, Burt's performances at fullback have been a concern for some time.
A clearly worried Hagan has given the Parramatta veteran the week off to sort himself out rather than send him back to play park football with Wentworthville.
His deteriorating form in recent weeks has heavily affected the Eels' overall performance.
His runs during the past month have almost halved on his 2007 season average (11.3 to 5.2), while his yardage gains have dropped by nearly 40 per cent (99.6m to 60.5m).
The impact on the Eels went well beyond his own input, though. It meant Burt struggled to kick-start Parramatta's sets, which subsequently bogged down their whole attack.
A frustrated Hagan finally saw no choice but to stand Burt down.

Hagan has been loyal to burt, its not about the golden child but seirously we will lose tonight, but i will say this Hayne will be better at fullback tonight and there will be a massive diff in attitude, will it be enough to win who knows, this change should of been made weeks ago just to shake it up ...

Last edited:

Redback71

First Grade
I still want burt in the team though. But I must admidt I cant wait to see the Inu Grin when he kicks the match winning Goal.

PS also looks like Burt will no longer be leading point scorer in the NRL, he just cant win.

walker smith

Juniors
I agree there was never any evidence Hayne demanded to play FB in the article.

I hope the whole thing is overstated and the divisions between younger blokes and the older are nota s bad as made out.

My concern would be some of Hindmarsh's reported comments critical of Hayne, Tautai and Inu, and occasions where Riddell and Finch have blown up at younger blokes.

I hope the general theme of the article is not true because ican't see any hope of the drastic improvment we all want if the squad is in disharmony.

I also hope the senior players aren't blaming the younger blokes without addressing their own form, whcih is a far bigger concern IMO.

i have been concerned for some time now at the messages coming out of the club by way of player statements and interviews....because i am fearful theer are two divisions amongst the playing ranks.

it seems that there is a cadre of young islanders who are completely at odds in terms of playing style, approach and attitude with the older "whiter" division led by the likes of Hindmarsh.

Both sides have the good and bad....but im concerned at the possible two divisions.

eel4life

Juniors
Burt is the leading points scorer, so imagine if he was in form, maybe the knee injury has taken allot more out of him who knows, he is not showing what he was doing last year ..

bartman

Immortal
Hayne, this weeks scapegoat in waiting.
He put himself there to be honest, with his comments in the media about "not wanting to play wing", having already failed in the centres (compare dto Reddy and Inu, also could be said learning and playing out-of-position). As Hagan says, here's the guy's chance, will his actions be bigger than his words?

When ego runs higher than team spirit, then you know there's no chance of cohesiveness. In retrospect, looks like this has been a problem since the off-season, and certain prolonged haggling over contract re-signings...

fish eel

Immortal
He put himself there to be honest, with his comments in the media about "not wanting to play wing", having already failed in the centres (compare dto Reddy and Inu, also could be said learning and playing out-of-position). As Hagan says, here's the guy's chance, will his actions be bigger than his words?

When ego runs higher than team spirit, then you know there's no chance of cohesiveness. In retrospect, looks like this has been a problem since the off-season, and certain prolonged haggling over contract re-signings...

I wouldnt say he failed in the centres. I thought he was getting better each game there considering it was a new position. Tahu took almost an entire season to make the switch, and in 2005 struggled out wide early in that season when the side was struggling.

The Colonel

Immortal
i have been concerned for some time now at the messages coming out of the club by way of player statements and interviews....because i am fearful theer are two divisions amongst the playing ranks.

it seems that there is a cadre of young islanders who are completely at odds in terms of playing style, approach and attitude with the older "whiter" division led by the likes of Hindmarsh.

Both sides have the good and bad....but im concerned at the possible two divisions.

I think much of the division comes back to the contract negotiations and the money being tossed about. For a long time Hindmarsh has been the highest or one of the highest paid players in the club and he has earnt that through what he puts in on the park. No one would begrudge what the bloke earns - he may not be at the peak of his playing powers however he is as good as most of the top paid backrowers in the game at the moment.

Along come Hayne and to a lesser extent Mateo and Inu and they are being lauded in the media, given big money contracts and all three are only in the infancy of their careers. In terms of earning the big money they have done it on potential moreso then what they have done on the field.

It is the nature of rugby league at the moment and there could be a good deal of resentment in regards to the younger players not putting in the hard yards to earn the contracts they are getting.

Especially seeing we are losing the likes of Riddell, Robinson and some older players in recent seasons due to salary cap restraints.

fish eel

Immortal
I think much of the division comes back to the contract negotiations and the money being tossed about. For a long time Hindmarsh has been the highest or one of the highest paid players in the club and he has earnt that through what he puts in on the park. No one would begrudge what the bloke earns - he may not be at the peak of his playing powers however he is as good as most of the top paid backrowers in the game at the moment.

Along come Hayne and to a lesser extent Mateo and Inu and they are being lauded in the media, given big money contracts and all three are only in the infancy of their careers. In terms of earning the big money they have done it on potential moreso then what they have done on the field.

It is the nature of rugby league at the moment and there could be a good deal of resentment in regards to the younger players not putting in the hard yards to earn the contracts they are getting.

Especially seeing we are losing the likes of Riddell, Robinson and some older players in recent seasons due to salary cap restraints.

But good luck to them, and if there is resentment from other players about how much those three guys are getting, the certain senior players should look at their own deals, then look in the mirror and ask if they are playing up to that level.

What did we expect Hayne and Inu to do? Say 'Sorry Fitzy, I can't sign that deal, you're paying overs'

spiderdan

Bench

i thought he said that he didn't want to play wing because he wasn't getting involved enough, would talk to hagan about playing fullback but would do whatever the coach thought was best for the team.

i honestly don't think there's anything wrong with hayne saying what he thinks. he didn't bag anyone out. when asked he pretty much just said he thought he could do more for the team and be more effective than he had been if he was at fullback.

if hagan's exact words were "here's his chance" it strikes me as being a little petty and jouvinille.

i think hayne to fb is a right move but i think our two wings should be burt and grothe. williams should be used as a bench forward.

i guess we find out in a bit over 6 hours what hagan has in mind.

sooperdooper

First Grade
it starts and ends with hagan...what hayne said would reflect from the attitude of our coach.
Hagan has a poor attitude and it is carried throughout the squad

Latest posts