What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

michael luck

nibbs

Bench
i'm sick of him tbh. sures he tackle selflessly, putting his body on the line, blah blah.

but on attack. it seems that every time we're in the opposition 20, he'll hit the ball up with his slow uncanny running style and achieve nothing. i'm sick of it. i'm certain we'll be able to find someone who defends like him, who can run lines...

Meth

Staff member
We need Luck- he is what Campion used to be for us

The problem is that in Mannering and Lillyman we don't have attacking second rowers to compliment him.

Matulino back into the starting team will help. Lillyman to the bench

I still think it's a shame that Koopu's form dropped off after his injury, because I think he was ideal in this kind of role for us. At his best he was almost as much of a defensive workhorse as Luck, but offered a lot more on attack.

Meth is right though, the real problem at the moment is in the blance of the team in having too many workhorses in the second row and lock rather than any major problem with any of the players themselves. Adding Matulino to the mix should improve things a lot, but I still think the mix is a bit off.

On that note what's up with Mannering this year? He normally offers at least a bit in attack, but so far this year he doesn't look to be any more dangerous than Lillyman or Luck.

Lol at Luck pointing to his throat when in a tackle in last 5 mins yesterday...talk about playing for the grapple.

I still think it's a shame that Koopu's form dropped off after his injury, because I think he was ideal in this kind of role for us. At his best he was almost as much of a defensive workhorse as Luck, but offered a lot more on attack.

Meth is right though, the real problem at the moment is in the blance of the team in having too many workhorses in the second row and lock rather than any major problem with any of the players themselves. Adding Matulino to the mix should improve things a lot, but I still think the mix is a bit off.

On that note what's up with Mannering this year? He normally offers at least a bit in attack, but so far this year he doesn't look to be any more dangerous than Lillyman or Luck.

I agree...there does not really appear to be a big forward who can offload or pop a short pass here or there and this will come back to bite the Warriors in the close games.

Magic Stick

Juniors
Mannering,Lillyman and Luck dont ask any questions of an defensive line....I dont think we can afford to have all 3 on the field at the same time

Matulino should start ahead of Lillyman,Big Ben has sting in his defense and is our best backrower

I also think they should start cutting down Lucks mins gradually...And giving Ta'ai more mins

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Lol at Luck pointing to his throat when in a tackle in last 5 mins yesterday...talk about playing for the grapple.

Let's also note that at least 2 players had their arms around his neck. Gee, I wonder why he was pointing???

What's with all the Luck hating??? What a bunch of clowns you all are. Luck is destined to play SOO. He is just the victim of too many workhorses, not enough show ponies.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee

Firstly nibbs, you must have missed last week's game against Souths. Luck blew me away with his attack. He was pushing through the line well.

kia ora storm, I know the ruck you are talking about, but what do you do when you've got 2-3 blokes hanging on around your neck? It was a grapple. It was right in front of Badger, who turned in another D grade performance. I know your club invented the move so you're probably a little sick of the hysteria over it, but that was a fair dinkum grapple. There's no reason for any of those blokes hanging around his neck, he was in an upright position, tackle had been called held, and he wanted to play the ball but for the Knights players roping his neck.

Let's also note that at least 2 players had their arms around his neck. Gee, I wonder why he was pointing???

What's with all the Luck hating??? What a bunch of clowns you all are. Luck is destined to play SOO. He is just the victim of too many workhorses, not enough show ponies.

I don't hate him as a player...I agree that he is the victim of a one dimensional forward pack.

Iafeta

Referee

Exactly right in all aspects. Whenever he doesn't play, inevitably that's when we cop 40 points against us.

The balance will start correcting itself, I wasn't a fan of bringing Lillyman over for that very reason. Lauaki was supposed to offer attacking balance but failed miserably with his attitude and discipline. Matulino is a beast and will only continue to get better. O'Regan is starting to be blooded, and he does have a nice short passing game. Ukuma Ta'ai is the penetrative straight runner.

And should we not forget in respect to our balance, a certain S Fai who was certainly on the attacking side of backrowers. I still think his loss on the field is huge at the moment.

Rich102

Staff member

:lol:

Iafeta

Referee
His offload game is good. Does he have the speed to defend laterally in the second row?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Nah not a surprise to me. Luck has been vastly improved on attack this year. If anything our so far sub standard support play is the only reason Luck has less off loads.

Lillyman is the one that concerns me, although I believe he's improving from week to week as he regains fitness and becomes comfortable with the rest of the team.

However, while Lillyman is fantastiuc at recognising gaps and running at holes, he's so slow that he can't get through them. There were also a couple of times yesterday where we spread it wide to the left, Ah Van had a one on one or a slight overlap and Lillyman hesitated before just going himself when there were better options.

Bay Vikings

Juniors
His offload game is good. Does he have the speed to defend laterally in the second row?

Not sure. 20 tackles and 1 miss yesterday. I remember him making a few from 2nd marker. We weren't conceding trys through the middle really. At least he's trying to spark something in attack, has anyone seen Lilyman pass yet?

Mad Dog was a gun for them yesterday. It's no coincidence that Vuna's good run of form last year was in partnership up with McDougall, he can make any winger look good.

Magic Stick

Juniors
Our support play is weak...When Moon made that linebreak that should of been finished then,but no one was close
No-one had the nous to support a guy who is leading the NRL in linebreaks

Latest posts