What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Witt a Sea Eagle - Official

Morenito

Juniors
Manly have their Witt about them in deal of two halves
By Brad Walter
October 7, 2004

Manly are today expected to announce the signing of boom Parramatta playmaker Michael Witt after the Eels released him in the hope of luring New Zealand Test halfback Thomas Leuluai.

Witt, 20, who has three years to run on his contract, was advised by Parramatta officials he would be free to leave if a better opportunity arose.

He is understood to have agreed terms with the Sea Eagles, who are reeling after five-eighth Andrew Walker retired, having testing positive for cocaine. Witt also would be a goalkicking replacement for Walker.

A disappointed Witt said yesterday that he was in discussions with the Eels about his playing future but declined to comment further, except to say that the move was instigated by the club.

"Obviously I didn't expect it, it just came out of the blue, so it was a bit of a surprise, but that's the way it goes," Witt said.

"I'm signed at Parramatta for three more years, so I can stay if I want to but at this stage I am talking with them about my future ... that's all I can really say."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Witt, who made his NRL debut in round eight of the 2003 competition, played for the remainder of the season in the Eels' first-grade side and was named alongside Scott Prince, Rhys Wesser, Matthew Bowen and Cameron Smith in an Emerging Queensland Origin squad at the beginning of this year.

But he could not get a start in first grade until round 12 and shared the halfback duties with Englishman Chris Thorman, who has since returned home to Huddersfield.

With St George Illawarra hooker Mark Riddell joining the club next season, Eels coach Brian Smith plans to use utility John Morris in the halves, and he has also signed PJ Marsh and teenage five-eighth Marcus Perenara from the Warriors.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday confirmed the club had also made a formal offer for Leuluai, who is seeking a release from the Warriors.

The son of former Kiwis great James Leuluai, who played for Manly in 1983, the 19-year-old halfback was this week named to make his third Test appearance for New Zealand, against Australia at Auckland's North Harbour Stadium.

But at the Warriors, he is considered backup to Stacey Jones and spent most of the season playing for Otahuhu-Ellerslie in New Zealand's domestic Bartercard Cup competition.

The Warriors, who have signed North Queensland playmaker Nathan Fien, whose form was a revelation in the finals series, are well covered if Jones fails to recapture his form next season or becomes injured. They also have halves Jerome Ropati and Lance Hohaia on their roster.

"We've had a chat to him and we're just awaiting word back from him," Fitzgerald said of Leuluai, who looked over the facilities at Parramatta Stadium during a visit to Sydney last week.

Warriors chief executive Mick Watson said Leuluai was keen for a regular NRL berth but felt that his path was blocked at the club because of the presence of Jones and the arrival of Fien, expected to start next season at hooker.

Leuluai is also considering offers to play in England and has been linked to Widnes - should former Warriors and Kiwis coach Frank Endacott agree to take charge of the battling Super League club next season. Endacott said he would decide by the end of this week.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/06/1096949589451.html

Hurriflatch

Referee
WEll that is very interesting.

Looks like it is all but done however, I don't really like the idea of releasing Witt before Leuluai is official. Even then it isn't assured that Leuluai would be a better prospect but this opens the door to the possibility that Witt will leave but Leuluai will not be signed.

Leulaui
T Smith
B Green
Perenera

Some of the best talented halfs coming through. Especiallt T Smith and Blake Green who have what it takes. Witt has nothing on them, trust me.

bartman

Immortal
True Hurri, we shouldn't be doing things in the wrong order...
Perhaps this shows there isn't a cunning plan, but just a reaction plan?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So we are releasing Witt to possibly sign a kid who is about third in line, behind Jones and Fein, in the team that just missed out on the wooden spoon.

Great ploy :clap: :clap:

strider

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
So we are releasing Witt to possibly sign a kid who is about third in line, behind Jones and Fein, in the team that just missed out on the wooden spoon.

Great ploy :clap: :clap:

mmm....sounds bad eh.....however, would Witty be above Jones and Fein (and even Leuleui) at the Warriors? - Jones is their club stalwart and Fein had an awesome finals series.

I don't read too much into what goes on with player movements at the Warriors - they have obviously had ALOT of internal politics tearing their club apart....thats one thing we should be proud of with Parra - despite poor performances, I think the club is holding together quite strongly - if things are to turn around, that is the best platform to do it from.

Are we trying to build a team of NZers? It seems half our signings are from over the Tasman....as has been said before, it adds a little strength to the possibility of Daniel Anderson heading to Parra I guess.

bartman

Immortal
strider said:
I don't read too much into what goes on with player movements at the Warriors - they have obviously had ALOT of internal politics tearing their club apart....thats one thing we should be proud of with Parra - despite poor performances, I think the club is holding together quite strongly

I admire your enthusiasm Strides, but if all of the releases from contracts going on this year at Parra doesn't indicate internal politics of some sort, then what is going on, and why is our squad also unstable?

MC

Juniors
You guys have been after Leuluai for a while. The sticking point with Witt has been his contract with Parra generally rises per season

Stagger eel

Staff member
MC said:
You guys have been after Leuluai for a while. The sticking point with Witt has been his contract with Parra generally rises per season

so have we signed him MC?

MC

Juniors
Woudn't have a clue..abit hard to get speak to the sources these days due to off-season..

I'm not sure if i posted this a while ago or not, but by about September this year i had heard you guys had just about signed him...It was Witt getting a release that has stalled things up

strider

Post Whore
bartman: ....oh for sure we have some issues at our club, but I still think we are far more stable than the Warriors....I'd say teams picking up our discards wouldn't be overly concerned too cos there is maybe more to it than meets the eye.....with all that has happened at Parra of late I think its remarkable the club hasn't self-imploded.

MC:.....sticking point? - Surely Manly have the necessary $s to take on Witty - they always brag about having soooo much spare cash esp now that Walker is gone....OR are they baulking at paying him too much themselves - if witty was expected to be a star, surely they'd pay whatever it takes.

MC

Juniors
The problem with Witts contract is that the value increases over the next few years...Manly weren't even in the picutre until the Walker situation

strider

Post Whore
ooooooo.......gee - you know so much MC....and unlike all teh nuffys who pretend they know all on these forums (*cough* GAME FIRST *cough*), I believe what you say 100%.....I wish I knew all the goings on that you did.

bartman

Immortal
Fair enough Strides, I guess we can take some solace that the club hasn't ripped itslef apart in public since the comedown after 2001! As they say, things could be worse...

CliffyIsGod said:
You will all be having a cry when you have to have Wagon in the halves again!

I will be crying more, in laughter, when Kennedy is carted off in Round 1 with a recurrence of the injuries that kept him off the park at Newcastle.

Good luck.

Eels Dude

Coach
This is a joke. If Parramatta expect players to be loyal then maybe they should offer some loyalty in return.

If Tim Smith leaves the club in a years time because he wants more money elsewhere, Parramatta only have themselves to blame.

We can blame Jamie Lyon for walking out on Parramatta, and the club is doing exactly the same thing by walking out on Witt.

Why release Witt and sign a player who isn't any better nor is proven at the top level really. Stupid decision in my opinion.