What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mick Crawley joins Dragons as Coaching Advisor

Brutalitops

Juniors
Some key points regarding this guy, he was the attacking coach of the Raiders from 2014-2017 including when they were seconds away from a grand final. Raiders were a fantastic attacking team in this period. Also in 2008 when they had a run of averaging about 30 points a game for the end of the season.

Believe he coached some junior Knights to a minor premiership a few years ago too

This is a great acquisition

Changa

Juniors
I'm more curious to know who instigated this appointment, and why?
Was it the Board? If so, is this the first sign that there are cracks, that were originally plastered over, have reappeared in the coaching ways and techniques of McGregor?
The term "holistic approach" basically means control of all aspects of coaching. Maybe an extension on McGregors coaching career may not be as clear cut as first thought.

Raiders announced Crawley was leaving in August last year. Unsure if that decision was due to an approach made by us back then, or he was unwanted and out of a job for 19' and we threw him a bone.

Either way, he won't threaten Mary's position.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-launch-manly-raid-20180817-p4zy2g.html

BennyV

Referee

watatank

Coach
Some key points regarding this guy, he was the attacking coach of the Raiders from 2014-2017 including when they were seconds away from a grand final. Raiders were a fantastic attacking team in this period. Also in 2008 when they had a run of averaging about 30 points a game for the end of the season.

Believe he coached some junior Knights to a minor premiership a few years ago too

This is all interesting and I hope he can add something to the club. But will his role involve working with our attack? How closely will he actually work with the NRL team? His qualifications and past appointments kinda beg the question, why isn't he employed as an assistant coach?

watatank

Coach
I'm more curious to know who instigated this appointment, and why?
Was it the Board? If so, is this the first sign that there are cracks, that were originally plastered over, have reappeared in the coaching ways and techniques of McGregor?
The term "holistic approach" basically means control of all aspects of coaching. Maybe an extension on McGregors coaching career may not be as clear cut as first thought.

Holistic approach could (and I think does) also mean working with coaches at all levels including junior reps, women's and of course the NRL and ISP squads.

I remember a couple of years ago where the NRL team wasn't going so well but McGregor claimed that 'holistically' we were doing alright because the ISP squads and U20 squads went deep in the finals (I can't remember if that was the year 'Demitri' coached the ISP team but it was one of those years)

hewi

Bench
Holistic approach could (and I think does) also mean working with coaches at all levels including junior reps, women's and of course the NRL and ISP squads.

I remember a couple of years ago where the NRL team wasn't going so well but McGregor claimed that 'holistically' we were doing alright because the ISP squads and U20 squads went deep in the finals (I can't remember if that was the year 'Demitri' coached the ISP team but it was one of those years)

Kind of like the 98 meter field and we would have scored 3 tries except for that extra 2 meters!!!!

to_ddeath

Coach
Seriously shaking my head at this appointment.

Does Storm have a coaching advisor?

As stated elsewhere in here, why bother with all these yes men & advisory roles? Just get a friggin qualified coach.
McGregor must have seriously stocked the board members fridges with the best beers about for Xmas, it's an absolute farce beyond anything comprehendable that he is still the coach nearly 5 years after "inheriting a mess".

He is one giant mess alright. This is just another appointment for him to hang excuses on & white-ant out of the place in less than a year. Pathetic.

T.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I realise the job brief is different, but this announcement reminds of when Saints recruited a so called sports psychologist (whose name now eludes me) during the Brown era. This bloke also worked with a number of AFL clubs including Collingwood and St. Kilda. His influence over team performance was substandard,

Does anyone recall his name?

ALSGI

Bench
..............or it could be clearer, with the board appointing traffic police to steer the club in a forward direction, hence the re-appointment of the coach, to concentrate on doing the only job he's been employed to do ................... is coach.

Its hard to know what our board of Russian diplomats do because, like the Kremlin, they don't have to justify themselves. They are totally invisible and are without answer to anyone.

I heard on the grapevine that current Russian leader, Vladimir Putin redesigned his whole party based purely on the Dragons 2017-18-19 board model.

View attachment 25986
OKB are Putin shit on our Board?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Seriously shaking my head at this appointment.

Does Storm have a coaching advisor?
Yes....Craig Bellamy's wife whom probably tells him what shirt to wear when they go out and to put the toilet seat down!
It sure seems a ridiculous dart board appointment by the Dragons.

Soon they'll be jokes......why do the Dragons need so many Coaching advisors to change a light bulb when all they need is the bloody beast to breath fire under one real Saint.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree Brutalitops
If he is given the freedom to look after the attacking side great news.
But then what is hornby's job that is what he was employed to do.
But if we can attack like that Raiders team . It will be worth it.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Yes....Craig Bellamy's wife whom probably tells him what shirt to wear when they go out and to put the toilet seat down!
It sure seems a ridiculous dart board appointment by the Dragons.

Soon they'll be jokes......why do the Dragons need so many Coaching advisors to change a light bulb when all they need is the bloody beast to breath fire under one real Saint.

Job Seeker Alert!
Get Qualified Today.

For Sale - Advisor Consultancy Courses Cert 3 available from OKB Consultants, Preferred Advisers to the advisor who advisers the board.

Short courses available to those with previous history of talking sh!t on a professional basis, ie: Politican, Journalists, etc.

Phone 1800OKB-ADVISERS

Courses start from as little as $1,495.00
No Skills required.

Footnote - No Animals were hurt in the writing of this advertisement.

OKB donates to many underprivileged organisations each year.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Yes Yes "Demitri"he threw "Demitri "under the bus that time I remember......the bald headed cockroach

jak

Bench

great post mate im all for letting the bloke have a go before we shoot him,we just dont no he may end up being the answer to all our problems,only time will tell, would like to no who put him on the payroll.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
great post mate im all for letting the bloke have a go before we shoot him,we just dont no he may end up being the answer to all our problems,only time will tell, would like to no who put him on the payroll.

Jak the board has to approve it I think

Reactions: jak

Latest posts