What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missed tackles.

Mako said:
Were the Sharks have been very good this year I think is in there own red zone - well drilled defence and a confidence that everyone is doing there job so just keep doing yours. Makes a hell of a difference!!!!!

Against Parramatta and North Queensland this was particularly evident.
We held out continued raids on our own line for 4 or 5 straight sets before we conceded a try.

If they can keep this up it not only helps with points conceded but demoralises the opposition play makers coming up empty all the time and really puts them off their game for the rest of the match.

Mako

Juniors
DS wrote:
We've conceded the third least amount of points than any other club but have quite a high miss tackle rate in most matches. So either we are able to recover from line breaks or the miss tackles that are occurring aren't crucial ones causing a line break.

OR it could be that our defensive pattern is different to those clubs with lower miss tackle and more points on them - care to point out the difference between the Sharks and a club with less miss tackles (avg per game) and more points against (avg per game)?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Exactly Mr Mako.

I would rather be in the roosters position now then ours a hundred times over. Their defense is awesome. A bit over compressed & causing them to get flanked, but by semi final time, its the better strategy.
Missed tackles is everything in the finals.

If there was any consistency in the competition it may be possible but most teams have been flogged quite convincingly one week and come out and only let in a try or two the following.

Mako

Juniors
Well I don't know what you consider a "flogging" but the only 2 teams this year to be convincingly beaten and then let in less than 3 tries next game are Dragons and Sharks.

And the dragons was last weekend so your theory with them is yet to be tested.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
if you take points against then you are very misguided about how well the team is going defensively.

Especially this year.

The new rules have changed the ruck play, making it harder for the up the guts teams to shine & for the flambouyant teams to shine.

e.g. Tigers are missing around 40 tackles per game & are winning & sitting 3rd on the ladder I think.

Now why are we any different than the tigers? Is everybody going to start calling the Tigers GF contenders? is Their defense awesome? Have they also discovered scrambling defense allowing them to ignore missed tackles stats?
21 weeks to tell.
I know Id rather be in Stickys shoes than Sheens.

blacktip-reefy said:
I would rather be in the roosters position now then ours

Well you sound like a great Sharks supporter.
Unimpressed with the Sharks start eh?
More impressed with the Roosters start.

Do us all a favour and buy yourself a Roosters jumper and go and post on their forum.

BWNB

First Grade
Dragon Slayer said:
blacktip-reefy said:
I would rather be in the roosters position now then ours

Do us all a favour and buy yourself a Roosters jumper and go and post on their forum.

Why would you rather be in the roosters position?
We have got a hell of alot to improve on and we will only get better in the comming weeks

Mako

Juniors
DS Wrote:

You just make up things as you go along. BTR was comparing where Tigers are to where roosters are and given the defensive issues he would rather be in roosters shoes than tigers.

Not once have you taken up the challenge to explain things, all you do is desperately grab lines, twist them and misquote.

I have no problem with you having an opinion (thats as it should be) but be prepared to back it when someone disagrees. Try attacking the issue rather than the person, if you have the capacity.

millersnose

Post Whore
in terms of defence the roosters are the benchmark

we shouldnt get carried away there is stacks of time left this year and if anyone thinks the top 8 will remain as it is is having themselves on

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dragon Slayer said:
where did I say that idiot?

Dragon Slayer said:

No, they have done very well & I am glad we have won the winnable games

I am far from convinced about the defense yet with the missed tackles rate so high.
Dragon Slayer said:
Seeing how they have lost Fittler & not played with regular halves this season, I think they are going well. Very well. 13 missed tackles in a game of rugby league is incredible.

Dragon Slayer said:
Seems you better start speaking for yourself & soon for in case you havent noticed, few agree with anything you say. On any topic.
Well there is always Pogo & MS I guess.

Benchmark?

Their outside backs have question marks all over them?

Walker
Roberts
Monaghan

They don't instill in me the gtreatest confidence in their defence.

And the Roosters forwards are hardly the brick wall of previous years.

Don't forget Fittler did a mountain of defensive work for them when he was around ,now they rely on Finch and Wing.
Good Luck!

The Broncos exposed there weakneses quite easily.
The Roosters have lost three on the trot and have huge question marks over their attack and defence.

They beat Souths only because Souths had no subs available in the second half.
They needed 2 intercept trys to beat the Panthers.
They got dusted by the Broncos.
Had plenty put on them by the Tigers.
And the Raiders put another 24 on them on the weekend.

But BTR would rather be in Ricky Stuarts shoes than Stuart Rapers.

Go figure !

millersnose

Post Whore
if someone was to take the first 5 games in isolation they could make such a conclusion i guess

it will be a play off for the final between the sharks and the eagles and the winner would take on the raiders

however the season goes a bit longer than 5 games

Never said it was cut and dry Millers.

Aren't you a bit surprised that BTR has been so wrapped in the Roosters start over ours?

Mako

Juniors
DS Wrote:
They beat Souths only because Souths had no subs available in the second half

Souths were pointless in the second half and missed 40 tackles – it was 4 tries to 2. Raider only beat Souths by 7 !!

DS Wrote:

Roosters worse defensive effort of the season and they STILL won (conceded 50 missed tackles)

DS Wrote:

Nearly every team has had one – sharks manly, broncos storm, Dog Sharks, Cowboys Sharks, Manly Dragons

DS wrote:

FFS was 6 points in it and 5 tries each!

DS Wrote:

8 points in the game – 1 try the difference. Raiders lowest score this year!

Let not let the truth get in the way of a personal attack!!

Stick to unsupported opinions, thats all you are good at.

Millers wrote:

Exactly!! And what a lot of people are saying is that getting carried away with the start is fine as long as you understand that work is still to be done to be a real contender at the tough end of the season.

I love our start, especially when I believe we should have lost the Eels game (bonus points) and we racked up good wins against Dogs and Cowboys and I know we can improve in defence and attack even more.

There is nothing wrong with realism!

Mako said:
DS Wrote:
They beat Souths only because Souths had no subs available in the second half

Souths were pointless in the second half and missed 40 tackles – it was 4 tries to 2. Raider only beat Souths by 7 !!

DS Wrote:

Roosters worse defensive effort of the season and they STILL won (conceded 50 missed tackles)

DS Wrote:

Nearly every team has had one – sharks manly, broncos storm, Dog Sharks, Cowboys Sharks, Manly Dragons

DS wrote:

FFS was 6 points in it and 5 tries each!

DS Wrote:

8 points in the game – 1 try the difference. Raiders lowest score this year!

Let not let the truth get in the way of a personal attack!!

Stick to unsupported opinions, thats all you are good at.

Millers wrote:

Exactly!! And what a lot of people are saying is that getting carried away with the start is fine as long as you understand that work is still to be done to be a real contender at the tough end of the season.

I love our start, especially when I believe we should have lost the Eels game (bonus points) and we racked up good wins against Dogs and Cowboys and I know we can improve in defence and attack even more.

There is nothing wrong with realism!

We're talking defence here Mako not losing margins.
Do you think Ricky Stuart was happy about the amount of points the Tiges piled on them?