What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

The guy should be on $200k tops, based on his skill set.

And to think he continues to bang on about playing 80 mins. No insight whatsoever.

Straight Shooter

If you think Havili will be an answer your going to be disappointed.

He runs the ball well and isn't a bad tackler but he hasn't got a great passing game either.

Unless Mitch comes out and says what he wants then none of us have any idea what he is going to get offered let alone what he is on now.

He has no reason to move on and if he did i could see some one like the Storm having a look due to Smith being at the end of his career.

possm

Coach
If you think Havili will be an answer your going to be disappointed.

He runs the ball well and isn't a bad tackler but he hasn't got a great passing game either.

Unless Mitch comes out and says what he wants then none of us have any idea what he is going to get offered let alone what he is on now.

He has no reason to move on and if he did i could see some one like the Storm having a look due to Smith being at the end of his career.

If this is the case why in hell did the Club buy Havili?

I'm hoping Havili is selected in our 17 and performs the roll Dean Young used to. If he performs well, Rein may have some competition in 2016.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I thought he improved his game last season, and people on here are rightfully stating he has a poor passing game (I being one of them) and that's fine but on that point so did Dean Young whose passes from dummy half were woeful...maybe Rein could improve his passes like Cameron Smith who makes his forwards look a million dollars because 9 out of 10 are thrown forward, but no one tends to notice particularly the officials ....anyhow I will reserve my judgement on him on his general play until well into 2016 then I will state as to what hes worth etc....

BrissyRedV

Bench
I thought he improved his game last season, and people on here are rightfully stating he has a poor passing game (I being one of them) and that's fine but on that point so did Dean Young whose passes from dummy half were woeful...maybe Rein could improve his passes like Cameron Smith who makes his forwards look a million dollars because 9 out of 10 are thrown forward, but no one tends to notice particularly the officials ....anyhow I will reserve my judgement on him on his general play until well into 2016 then I will state as to what hes worth etc....

I thought Smith was one of the officials? The 3rd ref on the field in most games I see him play. Or at least he acts like it and gets away with it.

kit66

Bench
The Mitch Rein debate continues. And so it should.

Such a vital position and I believe he just doesn't cut it. Yeah yeah he's occasionally dangerous out of dummy half and he tackles and tackles and then tackles. But his passing from dh simply isn't up to fg standard. Let's face it. This is his primary job.

We've recruited well. Mongrel and size up front. Speed and options in the backline. Depth all round and a very good coach. (OV, you can quote that and scoff at it if you so desire)
But I look at our roster and see Rein as the weak point IF he is our 9.
Last season he played a major roll in stifling our go forward. Too many times one of our big guys would be taking a hit up only to have to check his run to reach behind himself to catch the ball, or even collect it up around his earhole. Too many times his passes missed everybody and bounced pathetically along the ground. This isn't acceptable.
I remember the Canberra game in Rd3. He was having a career worst game until, ironically, his runaway try turned our season around.
What are the alternatives? I hope Havilli steps up. Maybe Rein 10 minutes a half off the bench?
I'd be happy to be proven wrong. He is a gutsy little player but unfortunately not enough smarts. If Rein is the future then I'm going to go through a lot of TVs.

That would be a massive waste of interchanges.
I've been critical of Rein's passes out of dummy half myself but we need too also look at what he brings to the team. He's a fantastic defender, we know that, he's good at making breaks / scoring tries with his well timed dashes out of DH, we know that, and his little short passes are killer, we know that. What some people underestimate though, I think, is his ability to guide our forwards around, at which he does an excellent job, running them at targeted opposition play makers to wear them down e.g. Jack Bird say or Maloney and Pearce etc or getting us into position for set plays. Also his service to our halves is top notch, they always get the ball when they want it and where they want it. That's the Hooker's job and he does it well, the passing will hopefully improve but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say. He has improved each year and he's only 25, I not only think we should keep him, I think he needs to play 80 minutes every week.

goggles

Juniors
Mitch Rein is a must keep for the dragons.

Personally i never really rated him when Benett bought into first grade but he is getting better and better last season i thought he was a standout.
Plays very tough and above his weight and still young, His best is yet to come..

If the dragons loose Rein who would be a capable replace on the market Im not sure there are any....

I think Cherrington is free at the end of the year and is probably now 3rd in line at the tigers...

BennyV

Referee
If this is the case why in hell did the Club buy Havili?

I'm hoping Havili is selected in our 17 and performs the roll Dean Young used to. If he performs well, Rein may have some competition in 2016.

And it would be about time!

Look, I would love it if Rein went up a level this year. And I think all it would take would be fixing his passing, continuing to time his runs and increase the amount of kicking he does. (But really, hes been in first grade for years, if he hasn't been able to land a pass on the chest yet, when will he?)

But the thing that annoys me about his career to date is that he has been absolutely uncontested pretty much the whole time he's been in first grade. Cam King was the next big thing, but due to injury he didn't take the step into first grade the way Rein did, and thus was flicked. Cook looked pretty good in the time he got, but wasn't a Price favorite and was flicked. Garvey didn't disgrace himself in first grade, but obviously Le'strange was a better option, and then he was flicked. And Le'strange himself was a victim of a contract that limited his time in first grade. Meanwhile, Rein floats in and out of form on a criminally inflated contact (in terms of both time and money) without fear of being dropped because there's simply no other option. Never has been. And yet some dragons fans think he is immune from any and all criticism.

It's not his fault, its part of the hangover from the Young/Price era. But it frustrates the shit out of me that this has happened, and when we are thinking of the 2017 season we should be looking at our best option. If Mitch can show early in the season that he is the best option, awesome, I hope we sign him. But to do so now would be madness based on the last few seasons.

I like that we went out and bought a skillful young hooker for our squad. And I like that Mitch has been put on notice when we chased Farah and McInnes. It's the first time in his first grade career that he's had actual pressure on him, and he's gotta prove his worth. And despite all the bad stuff I've said about him, i genuinely hope he does. But if he doesn't rise to the occasion, he can hit the road, because there are plenty of other options who would kill for the opportunity that he's had.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I thought Smith was one of the officials? The 3rd ref on the field in most games I see him play. Or at least he acts like it and gets away with it.

Yeah your dead right mate...apparently its comes with the Australian captaincy job......hopefully Widdop would have learnt something from him during his time with Melbourne and will get into the refs ear too ala Smith, Thurston, Lyons etc......if there was one criticism of Benny Creaghs game its was his soft approach with the refs when we copped dodgy penalties ...just have to wait and see

BrissyRedV

Bench
And it would be about time!

Look, I would love it if Rein went up a level this year. And I think all it would take would be fixing his passing, continuing to time his runs and increase the amount of kicking he does. (But really, hes been in first grade for years, if he hasn't been able to land a pass on the chest yet, when will he?)

But the thing that annoys me about his career to date is that he has been absolutely uncontested pretty much the whole time he's been in first grade. Cam King was the next big thing, but due to injury he didn't take the step into first grade the way Rein did, and thus was flicked. Cook looked pretty good in the time he got, but wasn't a Price favorite and was flicked. Garvey didn't disgrace himself in first grade, but obviously Le'strange was a better option, and then he was flicked. And Le'strange himself was a victim of a contract that limited his time in first grade. Meanwhile, Rein floats in and out of form on a criminally inflated contact (in terms of both time and money) without fear of being dropped because there's simply no other option. Never has been. And yet some dragons fans think he is immune from any and all criticism.

It's not his fault, its part of the hangover from the Young/Price era. But it frustrates the shit out of me that this has happened, and when we are thinking of the 2017 season we should be looking at our best option. If Mitch can show early in the season that he is the best option, awesome, I hope we sign him. But to do so now would be madness based on the last few seasons.

I like that we went out and bought a skillful young hooker for our squad. And I like that Mitch has been put on notice when we chased Farah and McInnes. It's the first time in his first grade career that he's had actual pressure on him, and he's gotta prove his worth. And despite all the bad stuff I've said about him, i genuinely hope he does. But if he doesn't rise to the occasion, he can hit the road, because there are plenty of other options who would kill for the opportunity that he's had.

Hopefully the last few months have been a reality check for him after chasing Farah and mcinnes. He will have some competition this year for him to perform with mccrone and Havili. He is off contract as well so all of those reasons combined should be enough reason for him to pull his finger out and prove his worth. If he doesn't perform, no will be out to pay overs for him. His future is in his hands.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yeah your dead right mate...apparently its comes with the Australian captaincy job......hopefully Widdop would have learnt something from him during his time with Melbourne and will get into the refs ear too ala Smith, Thurston, Lyons etc......if there was one criticism of Benny Creaghs game its was his soft approach with the refs when we copped dodgy penalties ...just have to wait and see

Now that hodges is retired, I really don't think there is a player I hate more than Smith. His ability to geyget into the ear of the ref shits me enough, but to add to that, the dirty tactics he employs especially when his team is down really irks me. The elbows, knees, face rubs, hate it. I do hope widdop has learned the bit about getting in the ref's ear just to make it an even playing field in that respect.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I think Cherrington is free at the end of the year and is probably now 3rd in line at the tigers...

Has talent, yet to prove that he can transfer it to 1st grade however. Big risk to sign a largely untested hooker with the promise of 1st grade with no back up. But if rein doesn't perform to expectations, it may be worth the risk.

giboz71

First Grade
Has talent, yet to prove that he can transfer it to 1st grade however. Big risk to sign a largely untested hooker with the promise of 1st grade with no back up. But if rein doesn't perform to expectations, it may be worth the risk.

Is it really a great idea getting a young hooker and waiting 2-3 years till they develop?? Can't think of too many of the young brigade that's really kicked on.. Segeyaro and Peats are injury prone, and guys like McInnes, Lichaa. Korisau, Shrama etc haven't really set the world on fire.

If you look at all the top hookers, most are veterans. Smith, Farah, Luke, Friend, Ennis. I bet the Dogs regretted letting Ennis go. They went for youth and Lichaa was average at best compared to Ennis. In fact the Dogs looked much better with Cook steering the ship.

As I have said, unless we're getting a top 5 hooker, I'd rather just stick with Rein. He's been in the league a while now and hopefully he's best is yet to come. Safer option than to put all our eggs in an untried hooker who may or may not work out.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Is it really a great idea getting a young hooker and waiting 2-3 years till they develop?? Can't think of too many of the young brigade that's really kicked on.. Segeyaro and Peats are injury prone, and guys like McInnes, Lichaa. Korisau, Shrama etc haven't really set the world on fire.

If you look at all the top hookers, most are veterans. Smith, Farah, Luke, Friend, Ennis. I bet the Dogs regretted letting Ennis go. They went for youth and Lichaa was average at best compared to Ennis. In fact the Dogs looked much better with Cook steering the ship.

As I have said, unless we're getting a top 5 hooker, I'd rather just stick with Rein. He's been in the league a while now and hopefully he's best is yet to come. Safer option than to put all our eggs in an untried hooker who may or may not work out.

I agree. If we can't get a top tested replacement we are probably better off sticking with rein. Can still look at these talented youngsters come in as a back up and develop if Havili doesn't work out.

The Nick

Bench
If Rein learns to put his passes in front of the player he will instantly be elevated into the top echelon of up and coming hookers (basically the group below Smith and Luke).

It's kinda ironic that such a fundamental skill is his only real flaw.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If Rein learns to put his passes in front of the player he will instantly be elevated into the top echelon of up and coming hookers (basically the group below Smith and Luke).

Such a fundamental should be easy to fix...

goggles

Juniors

He has courage aplenty, makes some decent sniping runs from dummy half and tackles like a demon, but his passing isn't his only flaw unfortunately (and lets be honest - it's a big flaw). His kicking is abysmal and he can't read or control a game - and that's an even bigger flaw that I don't think he can fix. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he will ever be in the top echelon of up and coming players, he just doesn't have the 'smarts' that those guys do...

duck

Juniors
What some people underestimate though, I think, is his ability to guide our forwards around, at which he does an excellent job, running them at targeted opposition play makers to wear them down
Not sure if serious.

Latest posts