What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

Rein's weaknesses get highlighted more as our attack was so abysmal last year. If we score more points and win games, you can bet all his criticism goes away.

For example, Andrew McCullough, whilst being a good player doesn't really do a whole lot more than Rein:

Rein: 1036 running metres, 6 tries, 6 try assists, 6 line breaks
McCullough: 1033 running metres, 4 tries, 4 try assists, 4 line breaks

Stats are pretty similar, although Rein probably makes a few more errors.

But you never hear anything about McCullough because when you have the likes of Milford and Hunt running riot, nobody really notices the hooker.

If Benji, Dugan and Widdop have good seasons, nobody will be complaining about Rein.

Stats don't always tell the full story.

What we need is fluency in attack which starts with an accurate pass from dummy half.

If the skills coaches can help Mitch get this right, our fluency and effectiveness in attack increases.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Rein has definitely improved his running game, and he's certainly more selective now as to when he runs. But he's still dumb, so incredibly dumb and he can't pass. Which is unfortunate, because it kind of helps when your 9 can throw a pass.

Rein's weaknesses get highlighted more as our attack was so abysmal last year. If we score more points and win games, you can bet all his criticism goes away.

Ummm, maybe because he was a major contributing factor in us not scoring more points!!!

Straight Shooter

Marshall and Widdop continually kicking grubbers into the legs of defenders.

Both crabbing across field jamming up the centres thus jamming up the wingers.

Dugan and not being able to chime into the backline and when he did he had no idea who he was supposed to pass to.

Lots of issue's from the spine.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Marshall and Widdop continually kicking grubbers into the legs of defenders.

Both crabbing across field jamming up the centres thus jamming up the wingers.

Dugan and not being able to chime into the backline and when he did he had no idea who he was supposed to pass to.

Lots of issue's from the spine.

A few positional changes and Demetriou on board should fix a lot of this.

smi962

First Grade
Is there anyone in our spine that can pass well, they are all better running with the ball.

giboz71

First Grade
Is there anyone in our spine that can pass well, they are all better running with the ball.

Widdop is a great passer. Marshall too, but just throws too many 50/50's. Just needs to be a bit more selective with his risky passes.

Marshall and Widdop have the potential to be a great pairing, someone just needs to formulate a structure that suits them both.

Hopefully Demetriou is the man.

getsmarty

Immortal
Rein: Negotiations Will Not Be A Distraction

Wed 3rd February, 07:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons hooker Mitch Rein admits he will not be distracted on the field despite being off-contract at season’s end.
The NSW Country Origin representative is presently contracted with the Red-and-Whites until at least the end of the season.
Rein, 25, is keen to focus on his role as starting rake for the team this season and admits he will venture into contract negotiations when the time is suitable.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/02/03/rein_.html

hazzbeen

Bench

For example, Andrew McCullough, whilst being a good player doesn't really do a whole lot more than Rein:

But you never hear anything about McCullough because when you have the likes of Milford and Hunt running riot, nobody really notices the hooker.

If Benji, Dugan and Widdop have good seasons, nobody will be complaining about Rein.

You are right on mate... What I do like about Mitch is he has a go and is tough as any, with a bigger pack that is going forward I think he will be a better player all round...

grouch

First Grade

It's all about balance though, and Brisbane have the right balance. If we had a more fluid attacking dummy half then perhaps the inadequacies of Dugan's passing game wouldnt be so pronounced, and there'd be no need to shift such a potent ballrunner from the number 1 jersey. I think we've struggled with Rein at 9 for so long, and despite shifting other players from the spine he hasn't budged - and neither has our attack

watatank

Coach
Granville clearly had the ability and upside in him. It remains to be seen whether Rein has that after 100+ games with little interruptions to his development.

loose arm

Juniors
Criticism of Mitch's passing is amusing(warranted or not)when you consider Benji has broken more noses in rows 1 to 3 than any front rower has in the middle of the scrum.

Wittenberg

Juniors
At times I really hope Rein goes just to see if our attack improves the way some think on this site. He has poor games, as do most players, I thought he played poorly against the Dogs, but he is a quality player. However many blame him for anything wrong with Saints, God damn he must be to blame for male pattern baldness! We need to be careful of continually down playing some of our players. I remember a number of people wanting to dump Ah Mau only a little while ago, and Creagh, and Marketo and Matthews were dud buys....and where is that Beale character who never should be in first grade....oh that's right he played most of the season in first grade for the Sharks who finished above us. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Rein hate gets a little unfair at times.

saints4me

Juniors
At times I really hope Rein goes just to see if our attack improves the way some think on this site. He has poor games, as do most players, I thought he played poorly against the Dogs, but he is a quality player. However many blame him for anything wrong with Saints, God damn he must be to blame for male pattern baldness! We need to be careful of continually down playing some of our players. I remember a number of people wanting to dump Ah Mau only a little while ago, and Creagh, and Marketo and Matthews were dud buys....and where is that Beale character who never should be in first grade....oh that's right he played most of the season in first grade for the Sharks who finished above us. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Rein hate gets a little unfair at times.

+1

Latest posts