What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein

giboz71

First Grade
He has courage aplenty, makes some decent sniping runs from dummy half and tackles like a demon, but his passing isn't his only flaw unfortunately (and lets be honest - it's a big flaw). His kicking is abysmal and he can't read or control a game - and that's an even bigger flaw that I don't think he can fix. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he will ever be in the top echelon of up and coming players, he just doesn't have the 'smarts' that those guys do...

Absolutely. This is his biggest flaw more than anything and what separates the best hookers like Farah, Luke, Friend, Smith etc. These guys can play like halves and when the need to control a game from the ruck becomes necessary, these guys can do it.

It was made even more evident as our spine last year had fundamental flaws (no ball playing fullback, 2 5/8's). Add's Rein inability to control a game, was it any wonder our attack was abysmal?

We have made changes this year with the addition of Mann and the proposed move of Dugan to the centres. And with Demetriou running things, hopefully Rein can have a Granville type year.

BennyV

Referee
He has courage aplenty, makes some decent sniping runs from dummy half and tackles like a demon, but his passing isn't his only flaw unfortunately (and lets be honest - it's a big flaw). His kicking is abysmal and he can't read or control a game - and that's an even bigger flaw that I don't think he can fix. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he will ever be in the top echelon of up and coming players, he just doesn't have the 'smarts' that those guys do...

Untrue. Almost every kick he made last season yielded a good result, be it good field position of a repeat set. It came on hugely from being non-existant the season before. But it was a very small sample size - if he increase the amount of kicking he does, it might prove to be a strength.

But your right, he can stick to a gameplan but he struggles to control and manage a game. Dont know where the idea came from that he can direct forwards around too..

To be fair to Rein, he has many excellent attributes.

Tough, first class defender.

Makes the odd incisive run.

He is a middle of the road NRL hooker on a salary commensurate with his capabilities.

If we want a hooker who can read a game, direct a team around the paddock and act as a ball player for his fellow forwards and share the general play kicking duties we are looking at a player worth three times his current salary.

The Nick

Bench
Re: Rein's perceived lack of ability to control the game - is this a good or bad thing seeing as we already appear to have 2 chefs in the kitchen? If Rein were more dominant would it allow Benji and Widdop to focus on their own games, or would it equal a 3rd chef in the kitchen??

Thoughts?

giboz71

First Grade
Re: Rein's perceived lack of ability to control the game - is this a good or bad thing seeing as we already appear to have 2 chefs in the kitchen? If Rein were more dominant would it allow Benji and Widdop to focus on their own games, or would it equal a 3rd chef in the kitchen??

Thoughts?

I think Benji and Widdop's issue were the fact that opposing defences knew 99% of our plays would go through one or the other. Rein, as has been stated does not control the ruck, and Dugan can't provide any direction from FB. This made us predictable as the sesaon wore on. Defences did their homework and once our halves were shut down towards the end of the year, we had no other options. (eg that run around play with Widdop and Benji worked a couple of times, but defences got wind of it and never worked again).

Hence it's important for Mann to work out at FB and be that 3rd option (much like Coote at the Cowboys). Put's less pressure on Benji and Widdop to have to do it all and they can both be selective with their touches.

If this works out, Rein doesn't need to play that organising role and play a role similar to Granville last year (who was also not really an organiser, but a runner). This will play to Rein's strengths and eliminate his weakness.

Hopefully with Demetriou running the show, this is what pans out.

Last edited:

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Rein showed on a couple of occasions that he can light it up when he sees a gap. I think he has it in him to be a Granville type player. A couple more decent kicks to put the defence off and some creativity near the try line will see him worth his weight in gold. He works very hard old rein. He has a lot of heart and mongrel. Demitriou will sort him we hope.

Thoughts?

"perceived" Lol !

The guys dummy half service was to say the least ordinary. He is not a schemer. Nor is his passing consistently accurate.

As a result the halves were constantly targeted. Slow inaccurate ball from dummy half made the halves sitting ducks thus reducing their effectiveness.

Forwards trying to field passes around their bootlaces or over their shoulders hardly ensured optimum performance.

BennyV

Referee
To be fair to Rein, he has many excellent attributes.

Tough, first class defender.

Makes the odd incisive run.

He is a middle of the road NRL hooker on a salary commensurate with his capabilities.

If we want a hooker who can read a game, direct a team around the paddock and act as a ball player for his fellow forwards and share the general play kicking duties we are looking at a player worth three times his current salary.

Depends who you believe about hit salary. Reports by some reliable sources on JA have it around $400-450k (a Craig Young contract). Others disagree with this, although they dont give an actual figure.

Thoughts?

I think it would help, hence why I wanted Farah so bad. The reason is that Widdops current role is a ball runner, not organiser. And while Benjis role is to manage the game, his instinct is to be an organiser. Having a bloke at hooker who can read the defence and direct plays 1-3 accordingly would be immense. Add in the ability to kick long, and then he becomes a proprity!

Depends who you believe about hit salary. Reports by some reliable sources on JA have it around $400-450k (a Craig Young contract). Others disagree with this, although they dont give an actual figure.

I would have thought Cam Smith was on around $1.2M. Nevertheless you get my point BennyV.

I think it would help, hence why I wanted Farah so bad. The reason is that Widdops current role is a ball runner, not organiser. And while Benjis role is to manage the game, his instinct is to be an organiser. Having a bloke at hooker who can read the defence and direct plays 1-3 accordingly would be immense. Add in the ability to kick long, and then he becomes a proprity!

Yep, I wanted Farah as well provided he was not busted ie subject to thorough medical exam.

Shadow Dragon

Juniors
Can anyone recall Mitch putting a team mate through a gap he created ?

Most games last year. You don't really focus on what the dummy half has done. It's also not just about attack, it is also about defence. Points come off the back of defence. Don't forget he is one of the smallest guys in the Comp. And to stand in the middle of the field tackling 100 kg is pretty adequate. And to run at 100 kg people and take a bait for a line brake takes a sufficient amount of guts.

BennyV

Referee
Most games last year. You don't really focus on what the dummy half has done. It's also not just about attack, it is also about defence. Points come off the back of defence. Don't forget he is one of the smallest guys in the Comp. And to stand in the middle of the field tackling 100 kg is pretty adequate. And to run at 100 kg people and take a bait for a line brake takes a sufficient amount of guts.

He's not the only hooker in the comp who tackles and runs. Most, if not all, do this to some degree. Granted, Mitch is above average in these departments, but below average in others.

As someone mentioned earlier, he would be in the middle of the list of starting hookers in the comp. Wouldn't take too much for him to jump up a few pegs but at the same time, it's yet to happen.

giboz71

First Grade
He's not the only hooker in the comp who tackles and runs. Most, if not all, do this to some degree. Granted, Mitch is above average in these departments, but below average in others.

As someone mentioned earlier, he would be in the middle of the list of starting hookers in the comp. Wouldn't take too much for him to jump up a few pegs but at the same time, it's yet to happen.

Rein's weaknesses get highlighted more as our attack was so abysmal last year. If we score more points and win games, you can bet all his criticism goes away.

For example, Andrew McCullough, whilst being a good player doesn't really do a whole lot more than Rein:

Rein: 1036 running metres, 6 tries, 6 try assists, 6 line breaks
McCullough: 1033 running metres, 4 tries, 4 try assists, 4 line breaks

Stats are pretty similar, although Rein probably makes a few more errors.

But you never hear anything about McCullough because when you have the likes of Milford and Hunt running riot, nobody really notices the hooker.

If Benji, Dugan and Widdop have good seasons, nobody will be complaining about Rein.