What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce - Contract Situation

Spot On

Coach
Would be nice for another desperate club to save us from ourselves.

I just don’t think we’ll be that lucky.

Fingers are crossed.

aqua_duck

Coach
Absolutely **** the bed today, the teams were fairly even but the difference is their Mitchell who's a noted finals passenger turned up where as our Mitchell put in one of his infamous origin performances. I know we're a better team with him than without him but we won't go close to challenging the top teams with Pearce as our halfback

perverse

Referee
Absolutely **** the bed today, the teams were fairly even but the difference is their Mitchell who's a noted finals passenger turned up where as our Mitchell put in one of his infamous origin performances. I know we're a better team with him than without him but we won't go close to challenging the top teams with Pearce as our halfback
You're dreaming if you think the teams were even today? We got absolutely dominated in the middle in the first half. Destroyed. That isn't to say Pearce didn't poo his pants, he did... but to say that was an even game is ridiculous. We were super brave to hang in against an absolute pummelling in the first half.

Phasing Pearce out next year has to be the plan, yes... but you don't have to dress that game up as all his fault either to reach that conclusion.

PhilGould

Bench
If you let Pearce go you need a better contingency plan than a kid who's played 3 or 4 NSW Cup games.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is apparently going to the open market for 2023. Far from a finished product but I'd take a chance on him and Clifford if you could get him for next season.

aqua_duck

Coach
You're dreaming if you think the teams were even today? We got absolutely dominated in the middle in the first half. Destroyed. That isn't to say Pearce didn't poo his pants, he did... but to say that was an even game is ridiculous. We were super brave to hang in against an absolute pummelling in the first half.
Yes they killed us in the forwards no doubt but I thought we really competed and the long kicking game of Clifford was enough of an equaliser that the game was right in the balance. The thing is a few of the errors from Pearce were absolute momentum killers as well, dropping the ball cold from the restart after scoring points and then kicking it straight down Guthos throat in the in goals when we were starting to get on top

aqua_duck

Coach
If you let Pearce go you need a better contingency plan than a kid who's played 3 or 4 NSW Cup games.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is apparently going to the open market for 2023. Far from a finished product but I'd take a chance on him and Clifford if you could get him for next season.
I'm not going to pretend to know what the solution is but moving forward Pearce isn't it. It feels abit like staying in a bad marriage for the sake of not wanting to be single

perverse

Referee
Yes they killed us in the forwards no doubt but I thought we really competed and the long kicking game of Clifford was enough of an equaliser that the game was right in the balance. The thing is a few of the errors from Pearce were absolute momentum killers as well, dropping the ball cold from the restart after scoring points and then kicking it straight down Guthos throat in the in goals when we were starting to get on top
We "competed" yes, we hung in there... but as I said - we got blown off the park in the middle, especially in the first half. The teams were not fairly even at all, it's just a false statement in my judgment of the match anyway. It's fair enough to say we got trashed in the middle and our halves couldn't find a way out of it, and it's fair enough to say Mitchell had 2 particularly DUMB moments too... but to imply that it was an even contest and Pearce was the difference just isn't close to the mark for mine.

And as I said, that doesn't really mean that we shouldn't be phasing him out next year. That's obvious. It just doesn't require dressing it up worse than it is. Pearce wasn't good, but I rarely (never?) solely blame halves for a loss when their forwards don't lay the platform. It's a testament to our guts as a team today that we took it as close as we did.

aqua_duck

Coach
We "competed" yes, we hung in there... but as I said - we got blown off the park in the middle, especially in the first half. The teams were not fairly even at all, it's just a false statement in my judgment of the match anyway. It's fair enough to say we got trashed in the middle and our halves couldn't find a way out of it, and it's fair enough to say Mitchell had 2 particularly DUMB moments too... but to imply that it was an even contest and Pearce was the difference just isn't close to the mark for mine.

And as I said, that doesn't really mean that we shouldn't be phasing him out next year. That's obvious. It just doesn't require dressing it up worse than it is. Pearce wasn't good, but I rarely (never?) solely blame halves for a loss when their forwards don't lay the platform. It's a testament to our guts as a team today that we took it as close as we did.
Obviously their forwards got the better of ours, I've acknowledged that several times and there are many issues that need to be sorted in the off season but put it this way if Pearce doesn't completely **** the bed I think we go very close to winning that game even if we didn't deserve to.

perverse

Referee
Obviously their forwards got the better of ours, I've acknowledged that several times and there are many issues that need to be sorted in the off season but put it this way if Pearce doesn't completely **** the bed I think we go very close to winning that game even if we didn't deserve to.
I don't think it was the difference. I'm just disputing what you said initially (and what you implied intentionally or otherwise by saying it) - that the teams were even. They weren't close to even. They pretty much beat us all over the park - and we put in a gutsy effort to make it close.

PhilGould

Bench
Klemmer who absolutely showed up needled to the gills when jsaf wasn't sighted?

Pearce is a hard call. We don't make the finals without him but our ceiling is getting punted first week with him.
Klemmer who makes an impactful run once every few games at this point. If you think paying him $950k for the next few years is good value then fair play. Josh King is more of a threat close to the line at this stage.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think it was the difference. I'm just disputing what you said initially (and what you implied intentionally or otherwise by saying it) - that the teams were even. They weren't close to even. They pretty much beat us all over the park - and we put in a gutsy effort to make it close.
I think you're taking a very micro view at it where as I'm taking more of a macro view. Yes they were the better overall team but id argue so we're Cronulla when we beat them 3 weeks back, when I say even I mean in terms of how tight the scoreline was. As you mentioned in another thread we really made the most of our opportunities where as Parra probably didn't. I mean even if you don't think Pearce ******* the bed made much difference I don't think you can dispute his bad moments were very costly, let's not forget him rushing out of the line contributed significantly to their opening try as well

aqua_duck

Coach
Klemmer who makes an impactful run once every few games at this point. If you think paying him $950k for the next few years is good value then fair play. Josh King is more of a threat close to the line at this stage.
To be fair Klemmer's signing wasn't a bad signing at the time, what's probably made it a bad signing is the NRL changing the rules overnight which significantly lessens the value of players like Klemmer.

perverse

Referee
I think you're taking a very micro view at it where as I'm taking more of a macro view. Yes they were the better overall team but id argue so we're Cronulla when we beat them 3 weeks back, when I say even I mean in terms of how tight the scoreline was. As you mentioned in another thread we really made the most of our opportunities where as Parra probably didn't. I mean even if you don't think Pearce ******* the bed made much difference I don't think you can dispute his bad moments were very costly, let's not forget him rushing out of the line contributed significantly to their opening try as well
I'm just not understanding why you'd say the teams were fairly even when they weren't is all. It's a weird way to put it, and implies something I don't really agree with. But whatever, if you didn't mean what you said and meant the scoreline was close then yeah, I guess it was. I don't expect to get thoroughly beaten across the park and have the halves to pull a win out of their hat. Just not really my expectation from the team. I don't really have anything else to add other than to talk around in circles about it at this point.

slotmachine

First Grade

He's not on 950k, you don't need to make things up to make a point

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm just not understanding why you'd say the teams were fairly even when they weren't is all. It's a weird way to put it, and implies something I don't really agree with. But whatever, if you didn't mean what you said and meant the scoreline was close then yeah, I guess it was. I don't expect to get thoroughly beaten across the park and have the halves to pull a win out of their hat. Just not really my expectation from the team. I don't really have anything else to add other than to talk around in circles about it at this point.
But Pearce didn't have to pull a win out of the hat, all he needed to do was not pull out Suncorp state of origin Pearce to give us the best possible shot of winning the game. I mean if you're that offended by me implying it was an evenly contested game then i can't help you mate