What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

JT_

Juniors
Give Pearce a bigger responsibility (none of this 2nd receiver business), a proper attacking game plan and strong mobile forwards and he'll be alright. Barrett's been instructed to take pressure off Pearce, but it was all over the shop.

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't see how we can judge Pearce when Ennis and Barrett played so poorly. Pearce relies on them for service and space and they gave very little that was positive to NSWs attack last night.

dubby

Bench
Depending on who the coach is next year, I expect Todd Carney to be 5/8 and Pearce to keep the 7 jersey.

The kid ain't that bad, there isn't much better around. If NSW go selecting another set of halves they will just go backwards and never beat QLD. NSW need Barrett to retire so they can be forced into picking a young guy who will make the spot his own for the next 5 years.

The game is short of footballers ATM, we have an abundance of athletes who have no idea how to play in the halves.

Red Bear

Referee
I thought he was decent. Missing a kick for touch is poor but is something that seems to happen once in a blue moon to anyone. The intercept at the end, meh, NSW were chasing the game with a minute to go.

I think he's shown good signs. Kept the ball alive in the lead up to the second NSW try, put Watmough through for what should've been a try if not for sh*tness from Watmough/good tackle from Slater, excellent kick to get a repeat set at one point and some decent kicks into space. Not to mention that he laid on our only try last game.

Some positive signs from a 21 year old who will only improve with time.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It's a shame moltzen was injured, whilst he would not have ready this year, I think a full season at halfback this year and a good start to next year would have him in the frame.

9 games at halfback for 9 wins is a stat you can't argue with...

chrisD

Coach
Should have retained BK, but given we didn't we're kind of stuck with him. Carney/Soward combination would be our best bet in the halves, but would still be a big punt, so many unknowns.

I think he went alright, a couple of rookie mistakes, but they'll go with experience. If we keep chopping and changing the halves, Queensland will break the Dragons record (11 in a row).

mrpwnd

Bench
If selectors insist with Pearce next year then Soward must be there.
Sutton is a slow ass 5/8 who plays behind Isaac Luke and Chris Sandow
Campese has been nothing this year.
I wouldn't mind Carney, but, personally I see his good form purely on the back of the fact that he has a point to prove this year. Hopefully he comes into 2011 with the same motivation.
Moltzen is a joke, I don't care how much of a biased tigers fan anyone can be, I see 0 positives as to why he should be picked.

lockyno1

Post Whore
As a Queensland fan, if Pearce is there I am happy as he won't create anything except with the kick, so we don't have to worry about much for the previous 5 tackles.

If I were a selector I'd be looking at Mullen (yeah I know, poor form) who can create, OR Luke Walsh at halfback. Then I'd pick Carney, Soward OR Sutton at 5/8th.

perverse

Referee
Mullen is starting to come good at the Knights this year... behind a very badly beaten forward pack week in, week out too.

he's got a long way to go before he should be considered for a recall, though... he needs to keep playing good footy, for starters. i'd also have him outside Pearce, tbh... the wider Mullen is of the ruck the more he generally thrives... although he really has worked on his halfback play this year, getting his hands on the ball a bit more lately in particular.

anyway it's early days... i would still stick with Pearce and find him a partner from Mullen, Campese, Carney or i'd even give Soward a crack.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Pearce can't create? Anyone who thinks that obviously never watches Roosters games. His problem was that he was playing second fiddle to Barrett. As I said above, he should have told Barrett to get out of his way and taken control. Pearce is an organiser, Barrett is a running player. Why the hell Barrett was trying to do all the organising is beyond me.

Next year they need to pair Pearce with Sutton. And stick with them for the whole series.

Gaba

First Grade
anyone who says pearce is creative really needs a hard look at themselves and wonder do they know anything about league.

Look at the sides who pearces runs the ball against poor defensive sides and when up against the better defensive sides look at the results.

roosters struggle to score points , pearce only kicks in attack the defense knows what pearce is doing to do is put the bomb or kick in.

Pearce was no where in origin the last 2 games he is not a game breaker or winner no matter who the 5/8 next to him.

NSW will not move forward with this not up to nrl standard halfback in the team

he has been in the nrl for 3.5 f**king years , how much more time to give him when he has
not dominated any decent halfback in his playing career and is showing no signs of improvement

tim smith outplayed him ffs and they still pick pearce to be halfback

NSW will not move forward with pearce at halfback

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Calling for Pearces head already? FMD the kid played well and was once again let down by his pack (although not as much as game 2) and will improve the more time and space he gets.

Calling for Walsh is just frickin laughable but I expect such dribble from the likes of lockyno1

Gaba

First Grade
Calling for Pearces head already? FMD the kid played well and was once again let down by his pack (although not as much as game 2) and will improve the more time and space he gets.

Calling for Walsh is just frickin laughable but I expect such dribble from the likes of lockyno1

he has been playing halfback all his career he been in the nrl for over 3.5 years and have not changed his predictability against teams what can defend. He is going backwards not improving

He isnt up to state of origin simple as that.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
When Walsh shows any ability to unleash Jennings or Pritchard at club level I'd begin to consider him for rep duties. But as a Panther supporter, I have more hope in Graham than I do Walsh. To put it bluntly, Walsh has played behind a dominant pack all season and has only recently displayed any creative ability to set some of the best ball runners in the game away. Lewis was better at this aspect during his short stint in the 7.

Not that Walsh doesn't have any positives.

As a Queensland fan, if Pearce is there I am happy as he won't create anything except with the kick, so we don't have to worry about much for the previous 5 tackles.

If I were a selector I'd be looking at Mullen (yeah I know, poor form) who can create, OR Luke Walsh at halfback. Then I'd pick Carney, Soward OR Sutton at 5/8th.

You sir are a moron

chrisD

Coach
Oh and Walsh is the worst defender in the NRL, this series should have proved that shouldn't matter though.